BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-30-2020, 08:17 PM   #1
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Received Android Auto update OTA (07/2020.54)

My car was previously running the latest OTA update (2019 s/w) which it received about 6 weeks ago, but tonight it notified me that 07/2020.54 was ready so I downloaded and installed it.

Android Auto is now working, Apple Carplay has also become available but I don't have an iPhone so couldn't test that.

It has also installed the GPS activated window roll-down feature.

Android Auto is nice to have, but testing it with the same song multiple times, music sounds much more 'alive' on the native Deezer & Spotify in the car than they do on the Android Auto versions of those apps. Its as if the Android Auto versions do not have the equaliser settings applied, so the volume is lower and the sound seems flat

Google maps is also cool, but the directions in the HUD are more basic than the BMW nav HUD directions.

I do like the Android Auto Audible app though, that will come in handy.

Overall, for a free upgrade, I can't complain. But I would not say it will be a game changer for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 03:49 PM   #2
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Yes agree with your thoughts, disappointing compared to Apple Car play which is also poor. Google maps and Waze may come in useful but generally I much prefer bmw navigation.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 12:44 AM   #3
vkxkswk_xxxk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

GPS activated window roll-down feature - what is this? never heard of it so genuinely curious.

Also, so you prefer listening music through usb/Bluetooth connection? just wanted to try it out also when I get my car.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 01:28 AM   #4
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_xxxk View Post
GPS activated window roll-down feature - what is this? never heard of it so genuinely curious.

Also, so you prefer listening music through usb/Bluetooth connection? just wanted to try it out also when I get my car.
GPS window roll down makes the window roll down at pre-set GPS locations, e.g. you can set it to roll down at the entrance to your work car park, or at a drive through takeaway.

Re: music, I use the Deezer or Spotify built into the car. That isn't Bluetooth or USB, the car downloads the music via its own internet connection so you don't need your phone or a USB stick at all. The music sounds much better through those native applications than it does via the Android Auto apps.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 01:36 AM   #5
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
My car was previously running the latest OTA update (2019 s/w) which it received about 6 weeks ago, but tonight it notified me that 07/2020.54 was ready so I downloaded and installed it.

Android Auto is now working, Apple Carplay has also become available but I don't have an iPhone so couldn't test that.

It has also installed the GPS activated window roll-down feature.

Android Auto is nice to have, but testing it with the same song multiple times, music sounds much more 'alive' on the native Deezer & Spotify in the car than they do on the Android Auto versions of those apps. Its as if the Android Auto versions do not have the equaliser settings applied, so the volume is lower and the sound seems flat

Google maps is also cool, but the directions in the HUD are more basic than the BMW nav HUD directions.

I do like the Android Auto Audible app though, that will come in handy.

Overall, for a free upgrade, I can't complain. But I would not say it will be a game changer for me.
GPS Activated windows roll down feature is not part of this update.

I am on 2019.11/70 and already have that app enabled.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 01:42 AM   #6
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJedi View Post
GPS Activated windows roll down feature is not part of this update.

I am on 2019.11/70 and already have that app enabled.
I didn't have GPS window roll down in the previous version I was on, so this update has brought that feature to my car.

I haven't had every update ever released, so clearly the latest one has made me catch up with everything I've missed up to this point.
Appreciate 0