BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-09-2020, 10:36 PM   #1
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

BMW Plant Spartanburg Tours are Temporarily Suspended

I'm set for PCD of my X6, M50i on 4/23. I received the following from the Performance Center today:

"At the BMW Group, the health and safety of our associates, business partners and customers is our top priority. We have been monitoring the coronavirus outbreak closely, and we feel it is important that we do our part to reduce the risk that anyone might contract or inadvertently spread the virus. Therefore, out of an abundance of caution, we have decided to suspend tours here at BMW Plant Spartanburg until further notice. Once tours resume, you may call 1-AAA-PPP-XXXX and speak with a factory tour reservationist about rescheduling.".

It's understandable and not all that surprising, given the moves many companies are making right now.

Just thought I'd pass it along so anyone that might be considering PCD is aware of this change. Obviously, it's impossible to tell when they'll start again...

In my opinion, the best part of PCD is the chance to drive on the track, so it won't deter me, but the plant tour is certainly a great perk of the trip. So, it will be missed...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 06:16 AM   #2
floridaman100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 xDrive40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkratochvil View Post
I'm set for PCD of my X6, M50i on 4/23. I received the following from the Performance Center today:

"At the BMW Group, the health and safety of our associates, business partners and customers is our top priority. We have been monitoring the coronavirus outbreak closely, and we feel it is important that we do our part to reduce the risk that anyone might contract or inadvertently spread the virus. Therefore, out of an abundance of caution, we have decided to suspend tours here at BMW Plant Spartanburg until further notice. Once tours resume, you may call 1-AAA-PPP-XXXX and speak with a factory tour reservationist about rescheduling.".

It's understandable and not all that surprising, given the moves many companies are making right now.

Just thought I'd pass it along so anyone that might be considering PCD is aware of this change. Obviously, it's impossible to tell when they'll start again...

In my opinion, the best part of PCD is the chance to drive on the track, so it won't deter me, but the plant tour is certainly a great perk of the trip. So, it will be missed...
Do you think that BMW will offer a buyer to do the tour later even if they take delivery of the ordered car at a dealer?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:06 AM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaman100 View Post
Do you think that BMW will offer a buyer to do the tour later even if they take delivery of the ordered car at a dealer?
Plant tours are open to anyone (when not suspended). There are one and two hour tours and you just need to make a reservation online although it will cost $5 -$15.

https://www.bmwgroup-plants.com/spartanburg/en.html
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2020, 09:18 AM   #4
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Plant tours are open to anyone (when not suspended). There are one and two hour tours and you just need to make a reservation online although it will cost $5 -$15.

https://www.bmwgroup-plants.com/spartanburg/en.html
Ditto. Also, if you're a BMWCCA Member, the plant tour is just $10! Here is a link on the page TurtleBoy provided that will let you register online: https://www.bmwusfactory.com/zentrum...-factory-tour/.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:21 AM   #5
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

meh the plant tour is kinda cool but there are youtube videos that show the exact same thing. I'm sorta surprised with everyone so panicked over this virus that they're still actually doing the PCD still
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:32 AM   #6
ZCPM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

I got the same email, bummer. I have PCD scheduled for next week. They did confirm that track and delivery activities will still continue as scheduled, so only missing out on the factory tour.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:37 AM   #7
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
meh the plant tour is kinda cool but there are youtube videos that show the exact same thing. I'm sorta surprised with everyone so panicked over this virus that they're still actually doing the PCD still
Agree, there are some great videos and the Plant Tour is really just a bonus...

They definitely haven't indicated any direction on cancelling deliveries, so that's obviously a wait-and-see game. If they follow suit with many other companies, their next step would be to require participants to sign a form in advance indicating they haven't been to one of the most impacted countries, shown symptoms of the coronavirus or been in contact with someone who has in the last 14 days.

Given that deliveries only result in 15-20 attendees/day and the focus tends to be on "large gatherings", I don't see it changing under the current conditions. But conditions change and who knows what's next!!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 10:16 AM   #8
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Too bad about the plant tour but you still get to do the cool stuff.

The plant tour is nice, but you can go back there anytime and see that or catch Youtube videos. The part that matters most is the part you get to do.

Congratulations on your new ride. Please report back with photos and your story.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 10:21 AM   #9
PhilH930
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Received the same email yesterday for PCD this Thu 3/12. At this point I just want the car anyway so not overly concerned.

Looking on connected drive app they've filled her up with gas now, although its been sitting with all doors unlocked, front windows down, and hood open for 24 hours inside the PCD facility. Probably a lemon haha!
      03-10-2020, 10:44 AM   #10
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I would add that the youtube videos are better because they are closer. On the tour itself, you stand so far away (for safety reasons) so you don't really get a good look anyway. The worst part in my opinion is that you only see X3... I wanna see how my X5 is built, not X3. Yes I understand the process is probably the same but still
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 01:12 PM   #11
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by karateboi87 View Post
I would add that the youtube videos are better because they are closer. On the tour itself, you stand so far away (for safety reasons) so you don't really get a good look anyway. The worst part in my opinion is that you only see X3... I wanna see how my X5 is built, not X3. Yes I understand the process is probably the same but still

this is EXACTLY how I felt. I was all geeked up for the tour but we were so far away you didn't really get to see as much as the youtube videos. It was still cool to see the sheer scale of the operation of assembling a car from scratch but unlike the PCD, the factory tour itself didn't live up to the hype. they also give you these stethoscope like headphones that go in your ear, and maybe it was just mine but one of the speakers were blown and I could barely hear what the lady was saying, and it was kinda uncomfortable. all in all for our next PCD, I think I'm just gonna go home after I get my car...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 10:59 PM   #12
TAL2GK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Coupe, 2017 911

Was just there last week for my delivery. Cool experience, but not sure I’d have lost much if it was taken away. My main takeaway from the plant tour is that no one is ordering bright colors. I mean no one! My Riverside Blue X6 was a unicorn on that day in the plant.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 07:29 AM   #13
micmitch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2018 Accord

My wife and enjoyed the plant tour when we were there last summer. The car and PCD are the highlight though
Appreciate 1