wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
We found that you couldn't activate a different name unless you left "Hey BMW" activated, so even though you can change the name from "BMW," it still answers to that, and the new name. With exactly the same problem you mentioned.
Yep!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Make sure "hey BMW" is enabled, then just say "hey BMW". You'll get the car instead of Siri. The easiest way.

After it's enabled, you might want to change your car's name since every time somebody says BMW, it'll ask you what you want.
We found that you couldn't activate a different name unless you left "Hey BMW" activated, so even though you can change the name from "BMW," it still answers to that, and the new name. With exactly the same problem you mentioned.
Sorry about spreading mis-information, it's probably software version related because you can say "BMW" in my car anytime and it won't respond unless you say "Villanelle". Im on some mid-level version, not a very current one.
      03-27-2020, 08:45 AM   #24
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

When you say the magic word and your car responds with the action you wanted, how far reaching does the query go? Does it stay local within your car? Does is go to some server somewhere in the country like Alexa, Siri, etc does?
Appreciate 1
jimbg22.50
      03-27-2020, 10:00 AM   #25
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
because we're not really driving. the entire car basically is drive by wire so its not gonna go crazy if someone decides to do something dumb
I understand that.. but then I assume you mean if *anyone* pulls it while driving. I thought maybe there was some crazy magic that allowed them to determine someone other than the driver pulled it.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 10:56 AM   #26
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
When you say the magic word and your car responds with the action you wanted, how far reaching does the query go? Does it stay local within your car? Does is go to some server somewhere in the country like Alexa, Siri, etc does?
There's an option in the menus somewhere that either enables or disable server processing. If you enable server processing, it allows you to say more complicated commands.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 11:04 AM   #27
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
There's an option in the menus somewhere that either enables or disable server processing. If you enable server processing, it allows you to say more complicated commands.
Thanks X5_CC,
So if you disable server processing, then the local processing goes to your cars hard drive, right? I would imagine the local processing gets a tiny bit smarter with each iDrive update (hopefully). My thinking then is that local processing should be adequate to control the features that come with the car. If you ask it questions that need an outside server to answer and you have the outside server function turned off, do you happen to know what sort of response the car gives you?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 02:37 PM   #28
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
I understand that.. but then I assume you mean if *anyone* pulls it while driving. I thought maybe there was some crazy magic that allowed them to determine someone other than the driver pulled it.
for the parking brake? no. it'll behave that way for anyone who pulls it. But all of the rest of the seats have sensors and act accordingly based on if someone's sitting in it or not. For instance, climate rules only apply in the passenger seat if someone's sitting there. I just found that out.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 03:56 PM   #29
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
for the parking brake? no. it'll behave that way for anyone who pulls it. But all of the rest of the seats have sensors and act accordingly based on if someone's sitting in it or not. For instance, climate rules only apply in the passenger seat if someone's sitting there. I just found that out.
I thought that as well but never put 2 and 2 together as I never saw the passenger seat heater turn on without someone in it.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 04:53 PM   #30
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

I am not able to gather the courage to pull the parking brake button while driving.
Are you saying that - say you are at 50mph and on lane 3 and you pull the parking brake while driving, the car will change lanes? and come to shoulder and then park? If so.. wow.
Do you have to be in cruise/steering assist/drive assist active mode for this to do that?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 04:53 PM   #31
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Yep!
And hard not to say "BMW" occasionally when you are in fact driving, well, a BMW....
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 10:20 AM   #32
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
Siri "eyes free" has been available on BMW's since 2013 with some 2014 MY cars. Short press of the mic button gives you BMW's voice assistant. A long press of about 3 seconds gives you your phones assistant (Siri if you have an iPhone).
Is this still working for folks with an iPhone and Carplay is not active? It stopped working for me with the 7/2019 update and still does not after the 11/2019 update.

There were a few threads about this when it stopped working.

It's very frustrating. I used that all the time to have Siri read texts aloud. Now I have to hope the phone will hear Hey Siri.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 11:02 AM   #33
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
Quote:
Siri "eyes free" has been available on BMW's since 2013 with some 2014 MY cars. Short press of the mic button gives you BMW's voice assistant. A long press of about 3 seconds gives you your phones assistant (Siri if you have an iPhone).
Is this still working for folks with an iPhone and Carplay is not active? It stopped working for me with the 7/2019 update and still does not after the 11/2019 update.

There were a few threads about this when it stopped working.

It's very frustrating. I used that all the time to have Siri read texts aloud. Now I have to hope the phone will hear Hey Siri.
No it doesn't.

That is the only reason why I use apple CarPlay to be able to read text messages. I navigate with Idrive. Selecting a contact with Idrive is much easier with the idrive controller or touchpad. Touch pad isn't active for CarPlay. But I don't make many calls in my car anyway. And you also lose navigating to your contacts in idrive. So I made favorites for my frequent destinations. Listening to music is easier with Idrive but doable with CarPlay. Selecting playlists is easier in idrive. CarPlay looks nicer.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 12:06 PM   #34
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
No it doesn't.

That is the only reason why I use apple CarPlay to be able to read text messages. I navigate with Idrive. Selecting a contact with Idrive is much easier with the idrive controller or touchpad. Touch pad isn't active for CarPlay. But I make don't make many calls in my car anyway. And you also lose navigating to your contacts in idrive. So I made favorites for my frequent destinations. Listening to music is easier with Idrive but doable with CarPlay. Selecting playlists is easier in idrive. CarPlay looks nicer.
good job summarizing idrive and carplay. this is exactly how I feel.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      03-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #35
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I thought that as well but never put 2 and 2 together as I never saw the passenger seat heater turn on without someone in it.
I noticed it when my friend got into the passenger seat and the seat ventilation (which was previously on) kicked on, but only after he buckled his seat belt. So BMW will only give you comfort as long as you're maintaining best practices lol
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 09:08 AM   #36
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anterialis View Post
Hi!
I am looking for a thorough list of "hidden"/forgotten about/not-known-by-all features. Some of these features I have figured out by myself by chance, like where you in a BMW (at least F-models) when cruising in Manual mode can hold/long press the left gear paddle to quickly enter the optimal gear shift for maximal power (cruise in 8th gear and 100 kmh, long-pressing the left gear paddle will immediately shift to 3rd gear). Sort of like kick down, but without any changes to the power input since the gas pedal is stationary.

I am sure there are plenty more of these features not known to most people. Could you please point me to such a list, or give me some examples of more features like this?

A list of features, some (maybe all of them) might be known to most of you:

List
  • Long-press left gear paddle shift (automatic transmission) - chooses optimal gear for max power
  • Side mirror selection switch - turn right to make right outside mirror tilt down when in reverse
  • If in Drive, and you have changed gears with the paddle sifter (to briefly enter manual mode), you can long-press the right paddle shifter to immediately enter Drive mode again, in stead of waiting several seconds for the transmission to go back in Drive by itself
  • There seems to be some confusion about the kick down among some drivers. On automatic cars (most brands), if you step through the initial resistance on the gas pedal, you will enable "kick down". This makes the car down shift to the optimal gear (revs in the 4-5000 area) and gives you max power.
  • On most newer BMWs, you can enable this "three blinks" signal thing, with just one tap on the signal leveler. If you want just one or two "blinks", I believe you can hold the signal leveler till the two blinks are executed, then release.
  • If you want to start the engine on a hybrid BMW, you can either enter Neutral and press the gas pedal slightly, or - if you are driving in hybrid mode - you can just tap the gear leveler into "Manual/sport". I do this if I know I want to accelerate e.g. from an intersection.
  • If you have the shifter over to the left in sport and turn off the engine or press park it will automatically reset itself upright.
  • You can save your favourite iDrive shortcuts to the physical buttons 1-9 on the dash.
  • If the electronic handbrake is pulled while driving the car will automatically come to a safe stop and put on the hazard warning lights.
  • When in Drive/reverse, just open drivers door and release break pedal and the car will enter Park automatically.

(I know these are not hidden features, and they are probably explained well in the user manual. But who reads the manual.. . And sorry for the bad english..).
Starting the engine in N doesn't seem to work anymore. It did in my 40e. I sometimes started the engine like this when I wanted to hear it but the 4 cylinder wasn't very impressive. With the 45e it would even be nicer to be able to hear the 6 cylinder with the window open at stand still (I have acoustic glass). The only was to forcefully start the engine is to put the shifter into sport/manual but the it's not in neutral anymore.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 09:09 AM   #37
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resjudicata View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting. I have my Iphone always connected to the car via bluetooth, and the voice button on the steering wheel (normal/short press) always initiates Siri. I have not been able to initiate the BMW voice system when the phone is connected. what am I doing wrong?

What car/model do you have?
what happens if you have an iPhone and Andriod connected same time, which one do you get?
The one you programmed to be the primary one I think
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 01:28 PM   #38
Anterialis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 45e

Quote:
Quote:
Hi!
I am looking for a thorough list of "hidden"/forgotten about/not-known-by-all features. Some of these features I have figured out by myself by chance, like where you in a BMW (at least F-models) when cruising in Manual mode can hold/long press the left gear paddle to quickly enter the optimal gear shift for maximal power (cruise in 8th gear and 100 kmh, long-pressing the left gear paddle will immediately shift to 3rd gear). Sort of like kick down, but without any changes to the power input since the gas pedal is stationary.

I am sure there are plenty more of these features not known to most people. Could you please point me to such a list, or give me some examples of more features like this?

List
  • Long-press left gear paddle shift (automatic transmission) - chooses optimal gear for max power
  • Side mirror selection switch - turn right to make right outside mirror tilt down when in reverse
  • If in Drive, and you have changed gears with the paddle sifter (to briefly enter manual mode), you can long-press the right paddle shifter to immediately enter Drive mode again, in stead of waiting several seconds for the transmission to go back in Drive by itself
  • There seems to be some confusion about the kick down among some drivers. On automatic cars (most brands), if you step through the initial resistance on the gas pedal, you will enable "kick down". This makes the car down shift to the optimal gear (revs in the 4-5000 area) and gives you max power.
  • On most newer BMWs, you can enable this "three blinks" signal thing, with just one tap on the signal leveler. If you want just one or two "blinks", I believe you can hold the signal leveler till the two blinks are executed, then release.
  • If you want to start the engine on a hybrid BMW, you can either enter Neutral and press the gas pedal slightly, or - if you are driving in hybrid mode - you can just tap the gear leveler into "Manual/sport". I do this if I know I want to accelerate e.g. from an intersection.
  • If you have the shifter over to the left in sport and turn off the engine or press park it will automatically reset itself upright.
  • You can save your favourite iDrive shortcuts to the physical buttons 1-9 on the dash.
  • If the electronic handbrake is pulled while driving the car will automatically come to a safe stop and put on the hazard warning lights.
  • When in Drive/reverse, just open drivers door and release break pedal and the car will enter Park automatically.

(I know these are not hidden features, and they are probably explained well in the user manual. But who reads the manual.. . And sorry for the bad english..).
Starting the engine in N doesn't seem to work anymore. It did in my 40e. I sometimes started the engine like this when I wanted to hear it but the 4 cylinder wasn't very impressive. With the 45e it would even be nicer to be able to hear the 6 cylinder with the window open at stand still (I have acoustic glass). The only was to forcefully start the engine is to put the shifter into sport/manual but the it's not in neutral anymore.
Thank you! Driving my 330e f30 waiting for delivery of G05 (on the ship Tortugas from USA to Europe!). It works on the f30
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 01:59 PM   #39
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi!

List

Thank you! Driving my 330e f30 waiting for delivery of G05 (on the ship Tortugas from USA to Europe!). It works on the f30
I know it used to work on the f15. I will try tomorrow to put the drive mode in sport and gear in neutral maybe that would work.

Good luck with the wait. It's worth it. Big difference between f15 and g05 and even bigger with a 330e I presume.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 04:42 PM   #40
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Just remembered another Easter egg... the hidden diagnostic menu...

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1577419
Appreciate 1
LexxM31697.50
      03-29-2020, 11:30 PM   #41
Pablo
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
Anyone know how to turn off the passenger mirror from folding down in reverse?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 11:32 PM   #42
Anterialis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
did you try the second tip in the first post?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 01:14 AM   #43
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
You have to turn the mirror selector switch to the other side and it will stop folding down.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 07:59 AM   #44
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Have the mirror switch on the passenger side or you can code the feature off using Bimmercode. You can also change how much it dips by
Appreciate 0