01-24-2015, 09:45 AM   #23
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by K19BMW View Post
Um no I am not interested in either watch. I am not the OP hahaha.
lol I quoted accidentially, sorry...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 10:07 AM   #24
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

I have never owned neither a Breitling nor a Tag Heuer, so take my opinion for what it's worth (a grain of salt perhaps?) That being said, I hope to add one of each to my "collection" someday. I really don't think you can go wrong with either one, though Breitling seems to be of higher quality and a nicer, more expensive timepiece. Breitling has a very strong root in aviation, where Tag has it's roots in auto racing, so both have history and prestige.

In my opinion, go with what you like and can afford. Either way, I am sure you won't be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 10:43 AM   #25
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
I spent a little more time looking at the Mido watches. I'm still not a fan but they aren't as bad as I originally thought. I think whats throwing me off on them is the multiple chronograph buttons on each side and the left subdial. The left subdial doesn't seem to match the rest of the watch. The watch is very sporty overall while the left subdial seems very classic, almost Movado like. And chronograph buttons on both sides is too much for my taste.

Overall Graham watches aren't really my style either. I prefer a less busy watch face with chronograph buttons that aren't as "in your face". Although the Grahams Silverstone Time Zone Automatic is pretty nice looking.
Those aren't actually chronograph buttons. Mido has some interesting complications that they throw into play. If you look closely at the picture of my watch you'll see the "Diver's Bezel" is actually underneath the sapphire of my watch. The lower left "button" as you called it is actually a secondary screw down crown which operates the Dive bezel. The crown is unscrewed then unlocked and the bezel rotates freely. It's a quirky little complication that I really liked. The upper "button" is a screw down date adjuster. The two on the right that traverse the crown are standard screw down chronograph buttons.

Quote:
Im not particulary a fan of Breitling so my vote is for the Tag Carrera Heritage.

Have you thought about Omega at all? I have 2 speedmasters and I love them.

On a side note, wow that Mido is one UGLY watch and nothing screams pretentious like buying something because its not "mainstream" yet.
Really? I mean I was just trying to pass on the idea that there were similar brands that are less known that offer comparable styles. Tag and Breitling are some of the most common watches on the face of the earth once you get out of the entry level market at this point. I wasn't trying to be pretentious, and you bashing the **** out of my watch was pretty childish too. You just insinuated that I was pretentious while calling my watch UGLY (notice capitals) while knowing nothing about the brand at the time (as you admitted you did some more research on them later) My watch is just one example. Mido actually designs a lot of the movements for Omega so bashing it and recommending Omega is also a very interesting and under informed move. . . Talk about the pot calling the kettle black here jeeeeeez.

Anyways, OP, go with the Breitling it seems like you have your heart set. Sorry to have gotten off track I was just trying to point out the fact that I was shopping Breitling and ended up going Mido because I liked the complications.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 11:08 AM   #26
fdagen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

I've owned quite a few watches as I am sure others here have as well. It depends on what you want it for. Personally I would go with the one that has better resale and or the one you see yourself wearing the most. I've owned expensive watches that just sit in the box. In the end I sell them because it's a lot of money for an item that you wear one or twice a year, and I would rather have something I can wear. Between the two you listed I would go with the Breitling(for me the Super Ocean). I think they hold their value more. If I was going to buy just one watch for the rest of my life, I would save and buy a Rolex. It doesn't always have the latest and greatest features, but it's a solid watch with a great resale value just in case you get tired of it someday.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #27
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
Those aren't actually chronograph buttons. Mido has some interesting complications that they throw into play. If you look closely at the picture of my watch you'll see the "Diver's Bezel" is actually underneath the sapphire of my watch. The lower left "button" as you called it is actually a secondary screw down crown which operates the Dive bezel. The crown is unscrewed then unlocked and the bezel rotates freely. It's a quirky little complication that I really liked. The upper "button" is a screw down date adjuster. The two on the right that traverse the crown are standard screw down chronograph buttons.

Really? I mean I was just trying to pass on the idea that there were similar brands that are less known that offer comparable styles. Tag and Breitling are some of the most common watches on the face of the earth once you get out of the entry level market at this point. I wasn't trying to be pretentious, and you bashing the **** out of my watch was pretty childish too. You just insinuated that I was pretentious while calling my watch UGLY (notice capitals) while knowing nothing about the brand at the time (as you admitted you did some more research on them later) My watch is just one example. Mido actually designs a lot of the movements for Omega so bashing it and recommending Omega is also a very interesting and under informed move. . . Talk about the pot calling the kettle black here jeeeeeez.

Anyways, OP, go with the Breitling it seems like you have your heart set. Sorry to have gotten off track I was just trying to point out the fact that I was shopping Breitling and ended up going Mido because I liked the complications.
The OP specifically wanted a watch that is "not in your face or pretentious" and then you go and recommend a watch because it is "not sold in Costco like Tag/Breitling cause they haven't hit the "mainstream"" That is one of the most pretentious things I have read on this forum. Costco also sells Sony and Samsung TVs but I guess those brands are too "mainstream" for you? How about BMWs? Because Costco sells those too.

And yes while I did call your watch ugly (which I still believe it is) that has nothing to do with movement or knowing the companies history. The definition of ugly is "very unattractive or unpleasant to look at". Now tell me, what does that have to do with the movement of a watch that you CAN'T SEE or a brands history? If I saw a Ford Pinto that had a Ferrari engine in it I would still call it ugly even though I might not know anything about the Ford brand and the fact that the Ferrari internals have nothing to do with the outward appearance.

Alpina B3 Flash, JB4 G5, BMS DCI, BMS OCC, VRSF DP, VRSF 7" FMIC, 30% tint, matte black kidney grills, paint matched e90 spoiler, paint matched front splitter, black finishing rods, BMW OEM Blacklines, Cyba air scoops, powder coated matte black wheels, Koni + Eibachs, more to come.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 03:24 PM   #28
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnstr View Post
So I am considering investing in a nice watch in the near future. Finally completed grad school and have a good income so I want to reward myself with something I can appreciate for a while.

I am primarily between TAGs and Breitling. I have lusted after TAGs for a while, but always considered them far out of my price range. When deciding on spending a couple thousand I realized for a few hundred more I could get a Breitling, which I think for the fit and finish alone is a reason to spend a few extra hundred. Only looking at automatics and I've tried them on but haven't been able to narrow it down any more.

I am looking for something versatile where I can switch up the band and have it be appropriate for most all occasions. Here's what I like:

TAG Heuer Carrera Twin Time

Such a quality time piece. The name says it all and it's beautifully constructed, solid, and weighty. I just don't want to come across as screaming for attention or douchy.

What do you guys think?
anyone that reads this forum knows i like tag so of course i say go for tag. i have nothing solid to add other than that.

in da face! not really but i think you'll be happy that i convinced you to go with tag. you're welcome.

i guess i should say i really like breitling too but if i had to choose... see above.

01-24-2015, 03:43 PM   #29
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
... then you go and recommend a watch because it is "not sold in Costco like Tag/Breitling cause they haven't hit the "mainstream"" That is one of the most pretentious things I have read on this forum. Costco also sells Sony and Samsung TVs but I guess those brands are too "mainstream" for you? How about BMWs? Because Costco sells those too.
Not sure if this is one of those urban legend tales but since Costco had such a lenient return policy, not very nice people were buying Breitling, Omega removing the original movement and substituting cheap Russian movements in it's place and returning the watches.

On another theme I thing Omega was not happy Costco was selling their watches, may have been some back and forth nasty between Costco and Omega, but could be confusing the story with Tiffany or some other exclusive that took legal action at Costco.

Anyway .
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 03:47 PM   #30
BD SM3RF
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I have the TAG Heuer Aquaracer and love it
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 03:58 PM   #31
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Not sure if this is one of those urban legend tales but since Costco had such a lenient return policy, not very nice people were buying Breitling, Omega removing the original movement and substituting cheap Russian movements in it's place and returning the watches.

On another theme I thing Omega was not happy Costco was selling their watches, may have been some back and forth nasty between Costco and Omega, but could be confusing the story with Tiffany or some other exclusive that took legal action at Costco.

Anyway .
I believe it. I was at Costco last month and while I was customer service I watched 3 different people return ps4 bundles without any of the games or controllers and Costco didn't care and just gave them the full purchase price back. Costco has a crazy not strict return policy.

Alpina B3 Flash, JB4 G5, BMS DCI, BMS OCC, VRSF DP, VRSF 7" FMIC, 30% tint, matte black kidney grills, paint matched e90 spoiler, paint matched front splitter, black finishing rods, BMW OEM Blacklines, Cyba air scoops, powder coated matte black wheels, Koni + Eibachs, more to come.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 04:27 PM   #32
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

I wear a Aquaracer day/date as my everyday watch and a Breitling Super Avenger when I'm going out so I can speak from some experience. I know they are not the exact ones you are looking at but close enough

I have had the Tag for about four years and the Breitling for about 6 months and both are very nice watches.

If I had the choice of only one of them I would take the SA, it is just exquisite.

I'm sure you would be happy with either but as I said I would take the Breitling.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 04:49 PM   #33
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Wow, thread seriously derailed then back on track. Going with the Breitling, ordering it tomorrow. Thanks for the input, I knew I'd get some interesting responses on a BMW board.

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 05:01 PM   #34
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Now you need a watch winder
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 05:20 PM   #35
Steelers6891
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 330i MSport

Garage List
2014 335ix  [0.00]
Good choice on the Breitling!!! Your gonna love it, I know I do

2020 330i M Sport
2017 X4 M40i *Retired*
2014 F30 335i M Sport *Retired*
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 05:45 PM   #36
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger
Now you need a watch winder
Yeah I do! Any reccomendations for that? Nothing fancy probably..,

^ Nice watch! I hope to pick up a higher end Breitling some day as well.

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #37
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Orbita for an inexpensive winder.
Which model watch are you getting ? Color and band type ?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 06:32 PM   #38
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger
Orbita for an inexpensive winder.
Which model watch are you getting ? Color and band type ?
Colt Automatic 2014 with the white/silver face on the professional (III?) metal bracelet. Will probably pick up an extra strap like a black rubber pro diver for casual wear and maybe a leather for more dress.

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #39
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnstr View Post
Colt Automatic 2014 with the white/silver face on the professional (III?) metal bracelet. Will probably pick up an extra strap like a black rubber pro diver for casual wear and maybe a leather for more dress.
44mm case size ? That's a beautiful timepiece.
I can't wear a 44mm too big for my wrist, have you tried one on?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #40
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
44mm case size ? That's a beautiful timepiece.
I can't wear a 44mm too big for my wrist, have you tried one on?
Yep! I think its a perfect size. Here it is on my wrist right here, should be arriving Tuesday. Yes I went grey market, but through Amex and Paypal so I feel pretty confident I'll be taken care of should anything go awry.

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 08:02 PM   #41
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
I would go with the Breitling just because of bad experiences I've had with Tag.

My first 'luxury' sporty timepiece was a Tag Heuer Link Automatic Chronograph (blue face).

Watch was gorgeous, but it didn't take wear and tear to well, and after about a year, the watch was losing 5 minutes or so a day (had to wind it all the time). Got a Rolex GMT Master II and never looked back.

Was looking into Breitling, but my next watch will be something dressy, and that is definitely not Breitling. Now looking into a SS Ballon Bleu de Cartier or a Frederique Constant Moonphase.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 08:10 PM   #42
Steelers6891
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 330i MSport

Garage List
2014 335ix  [0.00]
When buying grey market does it still come with Breitling's international warranty?

2020 330i M Sport
2017 X4 M40i *Retired*
2014 F30 335i M Sport *Retired*
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 08:11 PM   #43
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers6891 View Post
When buying grey market does it still come with Breitling's international warranty?
In all but the most uncommon circumstances, no. Decent GMS sellers offer their own warranty that parallels the maker's.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 09:02 PM   #44
JDS
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 MBB F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
I would go with the Breitling just because of bad experiences I've had with Tag.

My first 'luxury' sporty timepiece was a Tag Heuer Link Automatic Chronograph (blue face).

Watch was gorgeous, but it didn't take wear and tear to well, and after about a year, the watch was losing 5 minutes or so a day (had to wind it all the time). Got a Rolex GMT Master II and never looked back.

Was looking into Breitling, but my next watch will be something dressy, and that is definitely not Breitling. Now looking into a SS Ballon Bleu de Cartier or a Frederique Constant Moonphase.
I have that watch too and have to admit it is not the best at keeping time, even when on a watch winder. By far the worst movement of all of my Tags.

I since bought 2 different Grand Carreras, both are chronometer certified and in a different league of timekeeping to the Link; the Calibre 17 RS (Black alligator strap/silver dial) and the Calibre 36 RS Caliper (Stainless steel strap/black dial).
Gone: 2015 F80 M3 - Mineral Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0