Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I just checked with my buddy's XC60 and a Nissan and both exhibit the same behavior. If the backup camera is initialized by putting the car in reverse, it stays that way for a brief time while in drive and then shuts off. To me this is logical, but maybe because this is what I'm accustomed to.
People occasionally state they find it "logical" that the car shows you the view opposite to the direction the car is moving. But no one ever explains how a pole or wall can catch up to you from behind when you're moving forward. What exactly is "logical" about it?
      11-01-2019, 03:13 PM   #46
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
I just checked with my buddy's XC60 and a Nissan and both exhibit the same behavior. If the backup camera is initialized by putting the car in reverse, it stays that way for a brief time while in drive and then shuts off. To me this is logical, but maybe because this is what I'm accustomed to.
People occasionally state they find it "logical" that the car shows you the view opposite to the direction the car is moving. But no one ever explains how a pole or wall can catch up to you from behind when you're moving forward. What exactly is "logical" about it?
The logic is I need the camera to show me the area behind the car because that's a low viability area. Every time I put my car in reverse I want the camera on. If I back into a space and put my car in drive to leave I do not want my forward camera on. I don't need it. I have my eyes, the front of the car is highly visable. If I back out of a spot and then put the car into drive, same is true. I don't need the camera on in that instance.

Now if I'm parallel parking, that's when I would want it to auto switch. That's when I push the parking camera button. Now if the cameras don't auto switch in this mode, I can see how that's annoying.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 05:07 PM   #47
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
If I back into a space and put my car in drive to leave I do not want my forward camera on. I have my eyes, the front of the car is highly visable. If I back out of a spot and then put the car into drive, same is true. I don't need the camera on in that instance.
So you can see short objects (say curbs) nears your wheels well below any possible sight-line from your driving position? Impressive. Can you share you seat adjustments to make that happen.
      11-01-2019, 05:14 PM   #48
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If I back into a space and put my car in drive to leave I do not want my forward camera on. I have my eyes, the front of the car is highly visable. If I back out of a spot and then put the car into drive, same is true. I don't need the camera on in that instance.
So you can see short objects (say curbs) nears your wheels well below any possible site line from your driving position? Impressive. Can you share you seat adjustments to make that happen.
That's my point. Most of the time those are not obstacles for me and when they are I use the parking cameras. If I'm backing out of a parking spot and then pulling forward I'm not concerned with what's in front of me because I've already seen it backing up. Pulling into a spot on the end, yes I would be concerned about the curb in which case I'll hit the parking camera - also it is a moot in this use case because the point of contention is that the forward camera does not auto come on after the reverse camera shuts off.

I guess it just boils down to preference. However with that being said, it seems BMWs implementation is consistent with several other cars that I have driven.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 05:20 PM   #49
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So you can see short objects (say curbs) nears your wheels well below any possible site line from your driving position? Impressive. Can you share you seat adjustments to make that happen.
That's my point. Most of the time those are not obstacles for me and when they are I use the parking cameras. If I'm backing out of a parking spot and then pulling forward I'm not concerned with what's in front of me because I've already seen it backing up. Pulling into a spot on the end, yes I would be concerned about the curb in which case I'll hit the parking camera - also it is a moot in this use case because the point of contention is that the forward camera does not auto come on after the reverse camera shuts off.

I guess it just boils down to preference. However with that being said, it seems BMWs implementation is consistent with several other cars that I have driven.
Well my point is that there are many situations where that behaviour is obviously illogical, hence my beef with a generalization that it is logical.

About other cars, so those other cars did have front cameras? I assume so, but worth a double check. That was not the behaviour with an Infinity SUV I rented recently, it switched front and rear correctly and consistently ... dare I say "logically".
      11-01-2019, 05:27 PM   #50
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well my point is that there are many situations where that behaviour is obviously illogical, hence my beef with a generalization that it is logical.

About other cars, so those other cars did have front cameras? I assume so, but worth a double check. That was not the behaviour with an Infinity SUV I rented recently, it switched front and rear correctly and consistently ... dare I say "logically".
Yes. Volvo and Nissan with 360 surround cameras.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 05:33 PM   #51
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
The logic is I need the camera to show me the area behind the car because that's a low viability area. Every time I put my car in reverse I want the camera on. If I back into a space and put my car in drive to leave I do not want my forward camera on. I don't need it. I have my eyes, the front of the car is highly visable. If I back out of a spot and then put the car into drive, same is true. I don't need the camera on in that instance.
Obviously it is logical for the camera to show the rear view when shifting into reverse but you are not telling/showing us the logic for keeping it viewing the rear when going into drive. Not needing the camera when going into drive has no bearing on the situation since you don't need the rear view either and it currently gives it.

What would be logical, and helpful, is that once you switch to drive from reverse the front view is shown for the same time/distance that the rear view is now shown after switching to drive from reverse. If the front camera is needed for a longer period of time then the parking button can be used.
Appreciate 1
perikifi165.50
      11-01-2019, 05:44 PM   #52
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
That was not the behaviour with an Infinity SUV I rented recently, it switched front and rear correctly and consistently ... dare I say "logically".
Must be a new thing... My last car, a 2016 Infiniti Q50 which also had both front and rear cameras did not switch from the rear camera to the front camera when switching from reverse to drive.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 06:25 PM   #53
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

For those asking for the logic behind continuing to show the rear camera view after switching into drive... I have found this useful over the years in various cars and have enabled it when it wasn't enabled by default.

The times I find it most useful is when backing into a spot precisely (like in my garage). I need to line up a certain point in the garage with the distance lines shown on the screen. If I overshoot or go in crooked, it's nice to still see the rear view when pulling forward to line up correctly. Or when parallel parking, I back up very close to the car behind while maneuvering in and want to see how much distance I am leaving as I creep forward to center in the spot.

It may not be useful or logical for everyone, but I have found it to be so.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 07:55 PM   #54
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
For those asking for the logic behind continuing to show the rear camera view after switching into drive... I have found this useful over the years in various cars and have enabled it when it wasn't enabled by default.

The times I find it most useful is when backing into a spot precisely (like in my garage). I need to line up a certain point in the garage with the distance lines shown on the screen. If I overshoot or go in crooked, it's nice to still see the rear view when pulling forward to line up correctly. Or when parallel parking, I back up very close to the car behind while maneuvering in and want to see how much distance I am leaving as I creep forward to center in the spot.

It may not be useful or logical for everyone, but I have found it to be so.
I won't argue that there are zero valid use cases for being able to see behind you when moving forward, but I have and will continue to argue that the dominant reason for the front camera is to see in front of you when moving forward. One would really think that would be self-evident and I can't believe the amount of argument with that. We didn't evolve to run effectively backwards primarily because our eyes are mostly forward (well, at least these things are highly correlated).

I am a big fan of personal choice, so the simple solution to the minor/rare use cases is to a) provide a way for user to configure their preferred default, and b) provide a fast/simple/predictable way to trigger alternate views. a) is completely missing and b) is mostly broken either or both by design and/or implementation in all current X5 software.
      11-02-2019, 07:48 AM   #55
imyb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50D

I am currently on 03/2019.60 and I don't have this camera switching problem, it works flawlessly every time.
I have my car booked in for some repair and I know upgrades are available, I am now second guessing whether if I should get the upgrades or just stick with what I have that works
      11-02-2019, 08:12 AM   #56
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyb View Post
I am currently on 03/2019.60 and I don't have this camera switching problem, it works flawlessly every time.
I have my car booked in for some repair and I know upgrades are available, I am now second guessing whether if I should get the upgrades or just stick with what I have that works
I would recommend you get the upgrade since it provides fixes as well as the ability to get OTA upgrades in the future.

The camera not switching is really just something to complain about, nothing that really affects the use of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 08:41 AM   #57
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
The camera not switching is really just something to complain about, nothing that really affects the use of the vehicle.
... right up to the point where you curb your wheels, hit a below sight-line object, or worse. It's only a few thousand dollars (or worse), nothing serious.
      11-02-2019, 09:09 AM   #58
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
... right up to the point where you curb your wheels, hit a below sight-line object, or worse. It's only a few thousand dollars (or worse), nothing serious.
That would be the driver's fault. The button can be pushed and the image shown so no excuse whatsoever for hitting the curb. What we are discussing here is a preference for the best way for the camera views to be managed, nothing critical at all. As in similar discussions, this is where you part from using logic in your argument.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 09:25 AM   #59
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
That would be the driver's fault. The button can be pushed and the image shown so no excuse whatsoever for hitting the curb. What we are discussing here is a preference for the best way for the camera views to be managed, nothing critical at all. As in similar discussions, this is where you part from using logic in your argument.
- the button doesn't always work, I have to press it twice sometimes
- the button is clustered in a busy area of the panel; you always have to look down to avoid ASS or wrong camera button
- there are situations I documented when the button doesn't ever show front camera; apparently that's because there is actually NO WAY to force show the front camera, just A = automatic, and there are many situations where the software thinks it knows better than you what you need to see (hint: it doesn't)
- all of above takes time and futzing around that increases the chance of error of seeing the wrong view, or just giving up and winging it by feel, all while in impatient parking lots and traffic; multiple times every single day

There is no fault in my logic. Each issue above us highly annoying. Collectively, this is a truly shitty camera view driver assist design.
      11-02-2019, 09:51 AM   #60
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
- the button doesn't always work, I have to press it twice sometimes
- the button is clustered in a busy area of the panel; you always have to look down to avoid ASS or wrong camera button
- there are situations I documented when the button doesn't ever show front camera; apparently that's because there is actually NO WAY to force show the front camera, just A = automatic, and there are many situations where the software thinks it knows better than you what you need to see (hint: it doesn't)
- all of above takes time and futzing around that increases the chance of error of seeing the wrong view, or just giving up and winging it by feel, all while in impatient parking lots and traffic; multiple times every single day
There is no fault in my logic. Each issue above us highly annoying. Collectively, this is a truly shitty camera view driver assist design.
Actually a number of faults with your "logic". First of all, this thread is concerning the issue that was raised in the recent updates that changed the camera behavior so it stays in the rear view when switching into drive. We have not been discussing any other problems that may exist with the camera handling so the above is meaningless to this discussion.

Secondly, your "logical" argument in the previous post goes like this: The driver just switched into drive from reverse. He/she looks at the screen to see what the camera shows because he/she is worried that they may hit the curb. Upon looking at the screen, the driver notices that the view is still showing the rear camera. Rather than hitting the button to show the front view, he/she decides to just take the chance and go for it and when the curb is hit, it is BMW's fault for having their camera stay on the rear view. Obviously legally your position is faulty due to various legals disclaimers as well as common sense.

As you have done in the past, you are using an emotional argument and trying to make it "logical". If you strictly stick to the way the cameras are handled you can make a fairly decent logical argument, one that I and I'm sure many others agreed with. It is when you veer off into trying to assign blame and make emotional appeals that your position falls apart. Then again, your opinion, just like mine, really doesn't matter when it comes to this issue or many others. Take it easy.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 09:56 AM   #61
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
I suspect there are lots of people that agree with my points. Those that make excuses for shitty designs, on the other hand, deserve all the shitty products you'll get.
      11-02-2019, 10:45 AM   #62
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Getting back to the original issue, it looks like BMW agrees with the position that LexxM3 and I were taking that the camera should switch to the front view when the gears are changed from reverse to drive. randybobandy has posted that 07/2019.70 has fixed the bug and the front camera is now shown when going from reverse to drive.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...47&postcount=8
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #63
anuj452
2019 X5 40i
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Got my car back today with the software version updated from 07/2019.53 to 07/2019.70

The bug still exists in 07/2019.70

I was asked to press the "A" icon of the front camera in iDrive 3d view before switching gear from Reverse to Drive for front camera to turn on.
      11-12-2019, 03:23 PM   #64
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuj452 View Post
Got my car back today with the software version updated from 07/2019.53 to 07/2019.70

The bug still exists in 07/2019.70

I was asked to press the "A" icon of the front camera in iDrive 3d view before switching gear from Reverse to Drive for front camera to turn on.
Same for me. I went to test it last night in a different scenario as well.

I pulled into a parking spot with a concrete wall in front. When approaching, the front camera was on and the top down view took over. I put the car in reverse and backed up about 10 ft. I put the car back in drive and the reverse image remained. However, when approaching the same wall, the car never switched out of the rear camera. I feel like there is too many what ifs with this whole camera debacle. Never had an issue with previous vehicles with front cameras. They were simple and functioned as intended.

It’s also tough trying to explain half here issues without a video or commentary. I hope this makes some sense! Next update right?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 03:25 PM   #65
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Getting back to the original issue, it looks like BMW agrees with the position that LexxM3 and I were taking that the camera should switch to the front view when the gears are changed from reverse to drive. randybobandy has posted that 07/2019.70 has fixed the bug and the front camera is now shown when going from reverse to drive.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...47&postcount=8

It looks like that happened when backing out and driving forward, but the car was also looking for parking spots, so I am not sure if I may have hit the button when shutting off auto start/stop.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 03:27 PM   #66
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Deleted post given above.....
Appreciate 0