BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-10-2022, 02:52 PM   #1
paulrr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 M50i

3rd Brake Light Flasher & 3rd Brake Light Removal (X6)

Wanted to share a quick DIY as I couldn't find these instructions online anywhere. I typically add a little flasher module on my 3rd brake light on my vehicles for increased safety.

This write up is using this unit from Amazon. It flashes 4 times and goes solid, it's very minimalist and not one of the crazy strobe ones you see out there at times.

Access/Removing the 3rd Brake Light for X6

Remove the cover (#1) on the back by pulling gently to disengage the clips.

You do NOT need to remove the brake light. If you do want to remove it for whatever reason, there are 2 slides on the left and right (#2) of the light, push the outward so they slide out away from the center and then the light will drop out.

Now with the light removed or not (I recommend keeping it in place)... you can unplug the little blue plug going into the light with the brown and black wire. Brown is ground, black is the power supply to the light.

Connect the brake light flasher of your choice... in the case of the one I mentioned above:

1) Cut the black wire going from the vehicle to the brake light somewhere in the middle so that you have equal lengths on both sides

2) Connect as follows:
- Flasher red wire to vehicle black wire (on the cut side that goes to the control module)
- Flasher black wire to vehicle brown wire going to the brake light
- Flasher yellow wire to vehicle black wire (on the cut side that goes to the brake light)

Close the cover back up and you're set.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
nZtiZia4592.50
      02-10-2022, 04:25 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
which flashing rate did you choose? can you post a video or point out which one in the video reviews you wired (for reference)?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 05:00 PM   #3
paulrr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
which flashing rate did you choose? can you post a video or point out which one in the video reviews you wired (for reference)?
Yes let me grab a video when I have a chance.

I left the flashing rate to the standard "slow" one (meaning I did not use any of the additional wires that they ask you to connect and I just cut the green/blue/white wires to shorten them and capped them off).

I haven't tried the other rates, but the "slow" rate seems even on the faster side to me so did not bother with the faster modes.
Appreciate 0