rajindergill
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (F85), 328i (F30)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINY3RA View Post
I may be in the minority here, but to me the F85 looks more brutal than this model.
I totally agree with this. The F85 probably looks more aggressive because it hasn't got the big enlarged beaver front teeth/pig nostrils on the front.

But I still find the F95/G05 going too cheap on the plastics on the interior. When the guy pressed the M Mode button near the start/stop button you see the whole plastic set of buttons move. Why did BMW do this cost cutting rather than having individual buttons. Makes you question where else have they scrimped on cost that you can't see.
Appreciate 1
BPMSport3380.50
      02-28-2020, 04:25 AM   #24
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I agree and I'm sure BMW knows that. There's a market for both models because for most an X5M is just too much car to be able to take advantage of on a public road commuting to work. When i had my F85 sure it was fast as hell but honestly I had no roads in my area where i could put the pedal to the floor for more than a few seconds before I would be putting myself or someone else in danger. A slightly dialed back version (M50i) would be a good middle ground for most and there will always be people that need the best of the best with the money to support it which the X5M satisfies.
Eh, I dunno. Even most people who buy an M3/M4 don't do much more than occasional track driving at most. Most are just commuter cars or mid-life crisis cars. People just want the top trim car. For more expensive cars, it's actually fairly common to see the M model than the base versions like the 6 or 8 series. The M doesn't actually cost that much more so if you're already spending in the neighborhood of $100k, why not just get the model you can show off to your neighbors right? This is an X5. Very very few people will take it to a track regardless. Mainly because they simply never have been to one or never intended on it, but also because people who do go to a track don't really want to waste their track days driving a boat.

Look at this thing, it's a "competition" model with things like seat massagers. These badges have basically lost any real meaning. They just basically now mean "this car's magazine review will impress you and it costs more". And I'm not saying it's not an awesome car. If I made twice as much money as I do now, I'd definitely consider it has my wife's family hauler. But I'd never take it to the track.
So much truth it hurts.
Appreciate 2
      03-01-2020, 12:03 AM   #25
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I agree and I'm sure BMW knows that. There's a market for both models because for most an X5M is just too much car to be able to take advantage of on a public road commuting to work. When i had my F85 sure it was fast as hell but honestly I had no roads in my area where i could put the pedal to the floor for more than a few seconds before I would be putting myself or someone else in danger. A slightly dialed back version (M50i) would be a good middle ground for most and there will always be people that need the best of the best with the money to support it which the X5M satisfies.
Eh, I dunno. Even most people who buy an M3/M4 don't do much more than occasional track driving at most. Most are just commuter cars or mid-life crisis cars. People just want the top trim car. For more expensive cars, it's actually fairly common to see the M model than the base versions like the 6 or 8 series. The M doesn't actually cost that much more so if you're already spending in the neighborhood of $100k, why not just get the model you can show off to your neighbors right? This is an X5. Very very few people will take it to a track regardless. Mainly because they simply never have been to one or never intended on it, but also because people who do go to a track don't really want to waste their track days driving a boat.

Look at this thing, it's a "competition" model with things like seat massagers. These badges have basically lost any real meaning. They just basically now mean "this car's magazine review will impress you and it costs more". And I'm not saying it's not an awesome car. If I made twice as much money as I do now, I'd definitely consider it has my wife's family hauler. But I'd never take it to the track.
With you 100% ... it's a fun toy, but serves no more purpose than an X5 40i. The 50i will tow better than 40i with more power but moving to the X5M is just to show off or because you have a taste for shiny things... I personally like shiny things (shiny=best available that I can afford).

The M50i is definitely a beast and will definitely appeal to people who have driven M cars, realize they compromise comfort on the street (where the X5 will live) and want something similarly as quick at a red light but far more comfortable to cruise in. I'm speculating a little bc I haven't driven the new ones but i imagine that's how it'll be.. again.

If I were to get an X5 today .. it'd probably be X5 50i because it's the most bang for the buck imo. If the extra fluff is valuable to you, maybe you'd disagree... although I'll probably just see what the lease rates are doing when I go to buy in a few months.

Appreciate 1
      03-01-2020, 11:12 AM   #26
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

My issue and solution is to get as much muscle/power/luxury but without sacrificing ride and mixed weather driving. I am there now with my loaded 50i M-Sport. Tires and wheels play a huge roll into traveling across country in mixed weather. This is where you genuinely need a sUv and not a dragging wagon for warm weather. Throwing down 2200 miles at a time on a trip from PA to Florida in Feb every year twice now has taught me I am at the nexus of performance, luxury and functionality. If I lived in a warm climate and only could have one car and had no plans to travel anywhere near cold weather, the new X5M is a no brainer, except for the 22” wheels which are a liability for traveling across country where questionable roads are always a dicey possibility. I would opt for the 21”ers on the X5M for better ride and some protection from construction zone pot holes. (Then the M5 must also be a consideration as a X5M competition).

It’s also a dichotomy of the X5M demographic that most that buy a higher end luxury/muscle SUV will also buy a dedicated full M or other similar performance car for truly high performance driving.
This is why and where I fall into the M50i/50iM-Sport camp for their SUV purpose in the overall fleet.
I can drive in mixed weather and still get a draggy time of under 4 seconds 0-60mph so I really can’t go any further in any category without compromising significantly the balance of what my needs are in a SUV.

I am dying to see what the real world 0-60mph times are for the X5M as BMW is way, way underestimating their latest crop of factory performance specs. 3.9 seconds is a joke factory spec for the X5M. I bet we will see more like 3.2 seconds 0-60mph.

I have watched Shmee and other full driving reviews of the X5M and generally not surprised with anything. Pretty much exactly what we thought about ride, performance, etc... on the forum 8 months ago. BMW invented this category and they still do it best with the G05 X5.

Two excellent reviews:

Last edited by MystroX5; 03-01-2020 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 12:24 AM   #27
rajindergill
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (F85), 328i (F30)

Garage List
If you see the carwow F96 x6m review, the real world 0-60 is 3.5 secs. How does that compare to the older F85/86 models?

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 12:35 PM   #28
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajindergill View Post
If you see the carwow F96 x6m review, the real world 0-60 is 3.5 secs. How does that compare to the older F85/86 models?

Actually about 3.4 seconds 0-60mph. Considering he did 3.5 seconds uphill and only using launch control. I guarantee you will go faster without launch control. Most of us have shown this to be the case with the G05. Launch control will be more consistent and idiot proof but a good loaded launch will be faster. A properly M broke in engine, at 500ft or lower elevation and a good temp/humidity I am willing to bet 3.2 seconds or less. The way BMW puts its power down and the efficiency of its transmission, its gonna be a monster and raise some performance eyebrows. .

Last edited by MystroX5; 03-03-2020 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 2
Aliabd91247.50
Miko M6648.50
      03-03-2020, 05:33 PM   #29
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:

Actually about 3.4 seconds 0-60mph. Considering he did 3.5 seconds uphill and only using launch control. I guarantee you will go faster without launch control. Most of us have shown this to be the case with the G05. Launch control will be more consistent and idiot proof but a good loaded launch will be faster. A properly M broke in engine, at 500ft or lower elevation and a good temp/humidity I am willing to bet 3.2 seconds or less. The way BMW puts its power down and the efficiency of its transmission, its gonna be a monster and raise some performance eyebrows. .
I had tune on mine F90 M5 which is the same engine and had 800HP

I am sure with stickie tires and tune you can get 3sec. flat.
      03-04-2020, 09:25 PM   #30
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Quote:

Don't forget rollout!

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 07:34 AM   #31
///Armin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Quote:
My issue and solution is to get as much muscle/power/luxury but without sacrificing ride and mixed weather driving. I am there now with my loaded 50i M-Sport. Tires and wheels play a huge roll into traveling across country in mixed weather. This is where you genuinely need a sUv and not a dragging wagon for warm weather. Throwing down 2200 miles at a time on a trip from PA to Florida in Feb every year twice now has taught me I am at the nexus of performance, luxury and functionality. If I lived in a warm climate and only could have one car and had no plans to travel anywhere near cold weather, the new X5M is a no brainer, except for the 22” wheels which are a liability for traveling across country where questionable roads are always a dicey possibility. I would opt for the 21”ers on the X5M for better ride and some protection from construction zone pot holes. (Then the M5 must also be a consideration as a X5M competition).

It’s also a dichotomy of the X5M demographic that most that buy a higher end luxury/muscle SUV will also buy a dedicated full M or other similar performance car for truly high performance driving.
This is why and where I fall into the M50i/50iM-Sport camp for their SUV purpose in the overall fleet.
I can drive in mixed weather and still get a draggy time of under 4 seconds 0-60mph so I really can’t go any further in any category without compromising significantly the balance of what my needs are in a SUV.

I am dying to see what the real world 0-60mph times are for the X5M as BMW is way, way underestimating their latest crop of factory performance specs. 3.9 seconds is a joke factory spec for the X5M. I bet we will see more like 3.2 seconds 0-60mph.

I have watched Shmee and other full driving reviews of the X5M and generally not surprised with anything. Pretty much exactly what we thought about ride, performance, etc... on the forum 8 months ago. BMW invented this category and they still do it best with the G05 X5.
Same here, I put an average 15K miles a year on my daily, in this case, a 50i and can't deal with a bouncy suspension on a daily basis. I also went with 21" wheels, with 22" you feel every small bump on the road.

Do we know if the regular X5M is any different than the competition package in terms of suspension?
Appreciate 0