BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-13-2020, 06:56 PM   #1
Bancroft
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

First BMW X5 with illuminated grille - Iconic Glow Kidneys?

I know that X6 has this Iconic Glow Kidney Grille but I haven't seen it on an X5 yet. So I hired these great guys who did it for me as a custom mod of my 2020 X5 45e. Check out the pictures. What do you think?

It's still work in progress - only the upper part is illuminated now. We're working on the lower part as well. You can see more pictures of my X5 on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/unexpected_upgrade/

I also added blue shutters to my kidney grille a few weeks ago - I wrote a post about it here: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1698103

Has anyone seen a X5 with illuminated kidney grille? I'd love to compare!
Attached Images

Last edited by Bancroft; 03-13-2020 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 4
radmjk238.00
Cooltones241.00
1230vani637.00
      03-14-2020, 01:18 AM   #2
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Maybe you should put Christmas tree as well..might look good..🎄
Appreciate 9
volodp193.50
CMBX2346.00
thereef5101163.00
mcsa65.00
1230vani637.00
Dhillon63141.00
      03-14-2020, 01:52 AM   #3
ted920
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i, Lexus GS 300

Congrats on your purchase- great choice!

Personally, I like the 3rd pic, doesn't look over the top. Might even be something I'd consider.

This topic has been discussed elsewhere on the forum with most posters not liking this feature.

The blue grill, I'm not sure on yet. Maybe day pics of your whole ride would help to see how it flows overall.

Peace,
Ted
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 03:38 AM   #4
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

My X6 came with iconic glow and I removed it. It was not for me, personally.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 06:23 AM   #5
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Unlike most..... I actually like the illuminated grill on the X6, and I'm disappointed it is not available on the X5. (Much like a red interior) If available, it is something I would consider doing.

My biggest concern, is the "integration" into the lighting system. I would not install some aftermarket "switch" just to turn my grill light on..... I would want them integrated with the headlights.

May I ask what parts you used, how you wired them in, etc??

Very interested.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 06:27 AM   #6
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
My biggest concern, is the "integration" into the lighting system. I would not install some aftermarket "switch" just to turn my grill light on..... I would want them integrated with the headlights.
The OEM integration is well done - you can have it turn on only when unlocking/locking the car (like welcome lights) or have it linked to headlights if you want it on all the time. Or just turn it off altogether then it just looks like a normal grille.

My issue was that its silver, and I wanted black grilles. Otherwise I would just have turned off the lighting and have no issues at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 06:38 AM   #7
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
The OEM integration is well done - you can have it turn on only when unlocking/locking the car (like welcome lights) or have it linked to headlights if you want it on all the time. Or just turn it off altogether then it just looks like a normal grille.

My issue was that its silver, and I wanted black grilles. Otherwise I would just have turned off the lighting and have no issues at all.
You should do a writeup.... with pictures, installation, wiring, part numbers, etc.

I'd really like to see how this was done.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 08:11 AM   #8
Bancroft
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Deda, I liked your comment haha. It's not like Christmas lights, it's not that bad haha. I don't think it's over the top. I understand the controversy but it's just a matter of personal preference. I don't like things that are over the top plus I'm still considering the idea of reducing the overall brightness.

I also wanted to see what the overall look and feel would be with the blue shutters - which are not even available on the X6. I think the blue flaps change the color of the light and it's more of a white/blue light when you look at it from certain angles.

Also the illuminated grille looks different when you're standing right in front of the car (picture 3) as opposed to seeing the front of the car from distance (picture 1 but zoomed in).

It's still decent. I'm starting to like the idea of having the LEDs turned on in the upper part of the grille rather than both but I'll do more testing.

Right now, the grille lights up together with my lights when I unlock the car and stays on up to the speed 3 km/h. Then the grille turns itself off and only regular lights stay on. I'm going to change that though so that the grille can be turned on with Home lights AND when I unlock the car AND stays on even while driving (up to any speed).

The grille lights up only when it's dark - I guess the car's internal system knows when to turn on the regular lights.

Last edited by Bancroft; 03-14-2020 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 08:59 AM   #9
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
You should do a writeup.... with pictures, installation, wiring, part numbers, etc.

I'd really like to see how this was done.
I didn't install it, it came on my car (X6). I just removed it which was as simple as 1. remove grille and 2. disconnect wires to grille
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 09:46 AM   #10
OSCORP
Private
Colombia
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 M50i

I ordered my X6 with iconic glow, i think looks awesome. with the cerium color, it complements well with the front lights, the mirror caps in carbon fiber. Cant wait!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 03:11 AM   #11
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancroft View Post
Deda, I liked your comment haha. It's not like Christmas lights, it's not that bad haha. I don't think it's over the top. I understand the controversy but it's just a matter of personal preference. I don't like things that are over the top plus I'm still considering the idea of reducing the overall brightness.

I also wanted to see what the overall look and feel would be with the blue shutters - which are not even available on the X6. I think the blue flaps change the color of the light and it's more of a white/blue light when you look at it from certain angles.

Also the illuminated grille looks different when you're standing right in front of the car (picture 3) as opposed to seeing the front of the car from distance (picture 1 but zoomed in).

It's still decent. I'm starting to like the idea of having the LEDs turned on in the upper part of the grille rather than both but I'll do more testing.

Right now, the grille lights up together with my lights when I unlock the car and stays on up to the speed 3 km/h. Then the grille turns itself off and only regular lights stay on. I'm going to change that though so that the grille can be turned on with Home lights AND when I unlock the car AND stays on even while driving (up to any speed).

The grille lights up only when it's dark - I guess the car's internal system knows when to turn on the regular lights.
Hello,

I am happy that you can take a joke!

Good luck and enjoy your car!

Deda
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 12:46 PM   #12
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
3rd picture looks great with low glow
      03-15-2020, 07:00 PM   #13
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

I personally like it as long as it is a low almost halo kinda glow and i would probably keep it in a way that it turns on when I unlock the car and lock the car where it goes off with the home lights going off. I would do this in a heartbeat if available as a DIY add on.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 11:36 PM   #14
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Mine has Silver grills and I would like to replace it with Iconic Glow grills.

>Mobilego says that its easy but but those who don't have their cars prewired (and programmed?!) for them to work, it could be hard.

Anyone who installed it from scratch and it worked for them?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 04:21 AM   #15
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
Mine has Silver grills and I would like to replace it with Iconic Glow grills.

>Mobilego says that its easy but but those who don't have their cars prewired (and programmed?!) for them to work, it could be hard.

Anyone who installed it from scratch and it worked for them?
Just to be clear, my car (X6) came with iconic glow grille. I said it was easy to replace it with a black grille.

It is NOT going to be easy to install a glowing grille on a car that doesn't have it from the factory. Not at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 01:25 PM   #16
Ahmaddoski
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw 330i Us spec

Quote:
I know that X6 has this Iconic Glow Kidney Grille but I haven't seen it on an X5 yet. So I hired these great guys who did it for me as a custom mod of my 2020 X5 45e. Check out the pictures. What do you think?

It's still work in progress - only the upper part is illuminated now. We're working on the lower part as well. You can see more pictures of my X5 on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/unexpected_upgrade/

I also added blue shutters to my kidney grille a few weeks ago - I wrote a post about it here: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1698103

Can you give me information about the wiring for it where did they connect the power to and how it functions, does it illuminate with doors or headlights and hot to switch off.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 02:07 PM   #17
goobies818
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

I like the execution of your grill lighting as you can still see the vertical slats so an onlooker can readily identify it as a Bimmer in the dark; however, for me...the illuminated grill/logo is not my cup of tea.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 05:06 AM   #18
NitenD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 FY15

Quote:

I think that looks sick. Nice one
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 06:35 AM   #19
FullFatDoom
Space Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5

I like it a lot. Thank you for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 10:20 AM   #20
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
the LCI G05 will include illuminated kidney grilles (uncertain if it's standard like the X6 or just optional, though)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 10:30 AM   #21
GS2019
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:

Bancroft it's beautiful - congrats. how much did you pay for the custom install? Do you still feel happy with the install after a year?
Appreciate 0