BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-18-2020, 03:01 PM   #1
SSBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S3

Need help figuring out what can be done with iDrive 7

As the title states, I'm just trying to see what functionality the USB ports in the g05 have in terms of upstream and downstream capabilities. What I'm hoping to accomplish is as follows: We will be taking the vehicle on a long road trip this year and was hoping to get a tablet for my 3-year-old daughter in the rear so she could watch movies. on top of that since one person will be driving and the other one will be sitting there for hours on end I was hoping to code video in motion so that way the passenger has something to do during the drive. My question is, is there a way that the rear seat tablet on the travel and comfort holder can show the movie as it would be displayed on the iDrive screen with audio over the speakers in the car without having to have my 3-year-old wear headphones? From my understanding the g05 does not come with an auxiliary port for audio so everything would have to be done through an interface, but I'm not sure how that would work because the videos either have to be loaded on a USB flash drive or on the tablet itself and would both have to interconnect in idrive. Any suggestions or help would be very much appreciated.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 07:15 PM   #2
SSBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No suggestions? There's gotta be someone on this board who has some info.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 07:54 PM   #3
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

I don't think this is possible.

One other thing that comes to my mind if you really want to see and hear Dora the explorer and similar for hours. I would rather choose another movie to watch on my own iPad if I was in the passenger seat.

If you connect an iPad you should be able to hear the sound of the movie playing however. I thought the Usb C on the back seat are only power supply but I am not sure. You can connect with BT to idrive or the usb c in the middle console.

One other problem would be how to operate the iPad attached to the travel and comfort system. At three years she is probably just to young to do it het self. And from the front seats this would be difficult too. Maybe with Siri?

Other thing is that depending on the position of the front seat the iPad in the T&C could be sitting quite low and this could be a problem with a child seat. My kids are 9 and 10 and for them it's ok (sitting on the normal seat). I can hardly sit there myself with the iPads attached however.

One thing that could do what you are asking for is the entertainment system with the screens in the head rests. This is one of the only advantages of that system compared to an iPad in the travel and comfort system. Being able to operate it from the front seats.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 10:50 PM   #4
SSBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
I don't think this is possible.

One other thing that comes to my mind if you really want to see and hear Dora the explorer and similar for hours. I would rather choose another movie to watch on my own iPad if I was in the passenger seat.

If you connect an iPad you should be able to hear the sound of the movie playing however. I thought the Usb C on the back seat are only power supply but I am not sure. You can connect with BT to idrive or the usb c in the middle console.

One other problem would be how to operate the iPad attached to the travel and comfort system. At three years she is probably just to young to do it het self. And from the front seats this would be difficult too. Maybe with Siri?

Other thing is that depending on the position of the front seat the iPad in the T&C could be sitting quite low and this could be a problem with a child seat. My kids are 9 and 10 and for them it's ok (sitting on the normal seat). I can hardly sit there myself with the iPads attached however.

One thing that could do what you are asking for is the entertainment system with the screens in the head rests. This is one of the only advantages of that system compared to an iPad in the travel and comfort system. Being able to operate it from the front seats.

Thanks, all points well taken.
Appreciate 0