BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-15-2020, 04:19 PM   #1
Alex97
Rep
Drives: Mini JCW F56

X6 order change not accepted

I have a made an order for an x6 40d with nearly full options.
I realised that i forgot to add the cooling/heated cupholders!
I spoke with my dealer to add this option and the next day they told me that the factory didn't accept this change (due to individual options in the car, different production process??) ! My production date is 33 week August. The order in the bmw system has this option included right now though...
Isn't that weird as my production week is in mid August?
What should i do?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 02:24 PM   #2
bav29
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i on order

I called my dealer about 2 months after I placed my order (X6 40i) to add glass controls, at first he wasn't too accommodating but when I told him I'd cancel and re-order he then said they would do it.
I was really nervous the car would be delivered without the glass but I've decoded the VIN and sure enough its there...(delivery in September)
How bad do you want the option?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 02:46 PM   #3
Alex97
Rep

I would like to have it as i think it is useful for long trips, also as i said my car will be full options except night view, 4 zone, rear heated seats, soft close and the pre-heating feauture...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #4
Alex97
Rep

How do you decoded the VIN?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 03:40 PM   #5
bav29
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i on order

When your X6 goes into production (or just after) your dealer can give you the chassis VIN. I used Autodna.com to decode it. Gives a list of all the options the car was built with...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 04:21 PM   #6
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

This seems to be business as usual and you'd really think dealers would know. So when you order an individual option the build becomes locked immediately from what I encountered myself and from what I've read here from others.

Last year around this time I was at the dealer getting ready to submit an order for my X5 with my sales guy. Was mulling over a couple of the trims so in their order system the sales guy just picked one so we could get to the price and pull the trigger. He was then going to edit my order (literally within the hour) to my exact spec. Well! His order locked instantly and we couldn't change it because of the individual items. They contacted corporate but they wouldn't do anything to change it. So a second order was submitted 30 minutes after the little oopsie. Both cars showed up - mine of course came almost 2 MONTHS AFTER the mistake vehicle showed up on the lot.

Bottom line: if you're factory ordering and choose an individual option, be sure of your build because there's no going back once submitted.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 04:56 PM   #7
Chapel Hill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolerbythelake View Post
This seems to be business as usual and you'd really think dealers would know. So when you order an individual option the build becomes locked immediately from what I encountered myself and from what I've read here from others.

Last year around this time I was at the dealer getting ready to submit an order for my X5 with my sales guy. Was mulling over a couple of the trims so in their order system the sales guy just picked one so we could get to the price and pull the trigger. He was then going to edit my order (literally within the hour) to my exact spec. Well! His order locked instantly and we couldn't change it because of the individual items. They contacted corporate but they wouldn't do anything to change it. So a second order was submitted 30 minutes after the little oopsie. Both cars showed up - mine of course came almost 2 MONTHS AFTER the mistake vehicle showed up on the lot.

Bottom line: if you're factory ordering and choose an individual option, be sure of your build because there's no going back once submitted.
This wasn't my experience last month. I was able to make changes across the 2 weeks between placing the order and the Vin number being assigned.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 05:55 PM   #8
coolerbythelake
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolerbythelake View Post

This wasn't my experience last month. I was able to make changes across the 2 weeks between placing the order and the Vin number being assigned.
Well hey that's awesome then. Based on the OP's post, I still say proceed with caution anyway since he's clearly experiencing the same thing that I and others did. Maybe it was just the 20s since they axed some of the individual options for 21, I don't know.

FYI, here's a link to the old post where this was discussed at the time: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1649834
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 08:06 PM   #9
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

OP: That's really f'd up that they can't change options on a car once you select individual items. I can understand not letting you delete or change an individual item if the build is already at the point where they are collecting the special parts and sending them to the assembly area, but I cannot understand them rejecting the ability to add a generic option that's readily available.

If it makes you feel any better, the heated/cooled cupholders really aren't that useful. Your coffee might stay warm an extra 10 minutes. Without them you just have an excuse to drive faster so you arrive at work before it's cold!
Appreciate 0