BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-04-2020, 06:19 AM   #1
yans
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 30d MSport Phytonic Blu

Display Key Software

Hi all

Is there a way of updating the software on the display key so its up to date? if there is an update available?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 08:19 AM   #2
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yans View Post
Hi all

Is there a way of updating the software on the display key so its up to date? if there is an update available?

Thanks.
I'm not aware of there being any updates per se. If its 'out of sync' with the car (e.g. like fuel range isn't the same as showing in the car) , I've read that it re-syncs automatically when its in range. But I've not personally had that problem.

Is yours not working or missing information?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 01:00 PM   #3
jwtw20
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 MSport 45e

The display key got boring after about the 3rd trip and just became cumbersome and bulky to carry around and it is about as useful as a chocolate teapot! Can't wait for BMW to pull their finger out and update the iOS app so iPhone users can use the digital key and not need to carry any key around!
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      05-05-2020, 08:13 AM   #4
yans
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
I'm not aware of there being any updates per se. If its 'out of sync' with the car (e.g. like fuel range isn't the same as showing in the car) , I've read that it re-syncs automatically when its in range. But I've not personally had that problem.

No, its working, it just seems such a basic bit of kit for something that should be so much better and more interesting!!! Feel like BMW need to update it to do more!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 08:14 AM   #5
yans
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtw20 View Post
The display key got boring after about the 3rd trip and just became cumbersome and bulky to carry around and it is about as useful as a chocolate teapot! Can't wait for BMW to pull their finger out and update the iOS app so iPhone users can use the digital key and not need to carry any key around!
Literally couldn't agree with you any more!!!! Huge bit of plastic that is a pain!! I still use it though! LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 09:12 AM   #6
volodp
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 45e, 2022 iX40

Quote:
I hope it happens during the next few months. Would be little disappointing if we had to wait for iOS 14 but given how long this has been dragging on, even Sep/Oct 2020 seems relatively soon now. And then they will hopefully have the app eventually fully replace the display key.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #7
jwtw20
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 MSport 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by yans View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post

No, its working, it just seems such a basic bit of kit for something that should be so much better and more interesting!!! Feel like BMW need to update it to do more!!!!
On the hybrid 5 series you can at least reverse the car out of parking spaces with the display key. That at least gives it some use than just a paperweight that needs to be constantly charged!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 03:31 PM   #8
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
On the hybrid 5 series you can at least reverse the car out of parking spaces with the display key. That at least gives it some use than just a paperweight that needs to be constantly charged!
Here in the UK, you could have remote parking on any G30 EXCEPT the hybrid

I had it on my 540i. Cool party trick, and came in handy a few times in the 2 years I had the car. It got me used to carrying the display key anyway, so now I carry it for my X6. The size doesn't make any difference to me and the normal key feels weird to me now. I use it more to quickly check everything is closed on the key screen.
Appreciate 0