BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-16-2020, 09:09 PM   #1
tp2007
Registered
Rep
Drives: crv

Out of state dealer + PCD + Temporary Tags

Hi,

I recently picked up a 2020 x5 - bought it out of state from an often mentioned dealer here on the forums (Gwinnett Pl), took PCD in early March. The temporary tags from out of state has expired a few days ago. Apparently I was told by the dealership that paperwork processing takes 5-6 weeks - which nobody mentioned prior to the purchase! Now I can't get them to respond to my emails either. I was told when I signed the paperwork, all done through a notary service that the dealership would do all necessary paperwork for my DMV and that I would go and pick up the plates from my DMV when ready. I was also told that I would get copies of all paperwork that I'm signing. Didn't get either yet. I did get copies of the BMW finance and such via mail. But no copies of what was filed or to be filed at the DMV.

What options do I have? Do I get new temporary tags from my local DMV? Or just for their paperwork to go through? Right now with Covid situation, things are even worse. But my delivery happened before world changed around us!

Lesson learned for me from this experience
- PCD experience is awesome well worth the wait
- You have lots of material on forums and sites detailing what those are.
- Only thing I didn't know was what to take when you go for PCD - only thing we had to bring was the temporary tag sticker.
- Buying out of state + Notary service to sign the paperwork - make copies or take pictures of what you are signing. Although notary said I would get copies of everything, I did not.
- Dealership although has a lot of recommendation here, they are like any other dealer - very responsive till the deal was done. Not so afterwards. Right now I have brand new car sitting in my garage that I can't drive because the dealer hasn't filed the paperwork yet. And this has nothing got to do with the current Covid situation we are in. Pretty pissed about that obviously!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 11:32 AM   #2
0_steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i/20 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp2007 View Post
Hi,

I recently picked up a 2020 x5 - bought it out of state from an often mentioned dealer here on the forums (Gwinnett Pl), took PCD in early March. The temporary tags from out of state has expired a few days ago. Apparently I was told by the dealership that paperwork processing takes 5-6 weeks - which nobody mentioned prior to the purchase! Now I can't get them to respond to my emails either. I was told when I signed the paperwork, all done through a notary service that the dealership would do all necessary paperwork for my DMV and that I would go and pick up the plates from my DMV when ready. I was also told that I would get copies of all paperwork that I'm signing. Didn't get either yet. I did get copies of the BMW finance and such via mail. But no copies of what was filed or to be filed at the DMV.

What options do I have? Do I get new temporary tags from my local DMV? Or just for their paperwork to go through? Right now with Covid situation, things are even worse. But my delivery happened before world changed around us!

- Only thing I didn't know was what to take when you go for PCD - only thing we had to bring was the temporary tag sticker.
- Buying out of state + Notary service to sign the paperwork - make copies or take pictures of what you are signing. Although notary said I would get copies of everything, I did not.
- Dealership although has a lot of recommendation here, they are like any other dealer - very responsive till the deal was done. Not so afterwards. Right now I have brand new car sitting in my garage that I can't drive because the dealer hasn't filed the paperwork yet. And this has nothing got to do with the current Covid situation we are in. Pretty pissed about that obviously!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp2007 View Post
Hi,

Agree with this. Also picked my car up from Gwinnett. They sent the paperwork about 4 weeks later to NC but I wasn't aware I would be paying taxes myself. Thought it was all part of deal. For first year at least. Nearly $900 tag bill shocked me.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 06:25 AM   #3
e92328i998
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tahoe, M3, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0_steve View Post
Agree with this. Also picked my car up from Gwinnett. They sent the paperwork about 4 weeks later to NC but I wasn't aware I would be paying taxes myself. Thought it was all part of deal. For first year at least. Nearly $900 tag bill shocked me.
Are you referring to the personal property taxes that are due to your locality? Sales tax should have been part of it, but ppt, is usually on the owner.
Appreciate 0