BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-17-2023, 08:18 PM   #23
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Sorry for thread-jacking, but if you never track your M or M-badged BMW does it make any difference if you replace them with non-M brakes?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 08:33 AM   #24
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Leonard View Post
Sorry for thread-jacking, but if you never track your M or M-badged BMW does it make any difference if you replace them with non-M brakes?
Well you don't want to put Pep Boys special pads on your car. A good aftermarket pad that doesn't dust as much is fine for aggressive street driving. You probably won't generate as much heat.
      04-18-2023, 04:52 PM   #25
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Maybe someone would care to provide a list of ever increasing Brake Pad rating(s) from street to track, with stopping, fade and dust information? I remember seeing this list once, I don't have it, wonder if someone else does? It is useful...

I have just cracked about 10k (miles) on my 2020 and absolutely hate the OEM dust, but don't want to sacrifice any stopping power/distance. If I track, the pads would be swapped, and probably at least upped the rotors as well. But interested in a breakdown of pads for now

TIA
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 09:06 PM   #26
Rich.Wolfson
Thaumaturge
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Maybe someone would care to provide a list of ever increasing Brake Pad rating(s) from street to track, with stopping, fade and dust information?...
I have been using Hawk HPS pads for years on both Mini's and my M235i. Great stopping power. No fade and little dust. I have not tracked it but have done some "spirited" driving.

///Me
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 07:00 AM   #27
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Back in post #8 there was a question about the parking brake adjustment.

On the F30 it did not require a computer or special tools, but was a minor PIA. F30 shop manual says to disconnect the cables at the brake lever to remove all tension, and I don’t know how this would work with the G series and an electric park brake.

Once the cables are slack, you have to turn the adjuster screw by inserting a screwdriver through a hole in each rear wheel, with the wheel fully mounted on the car. It’s all done by feel, but you can’t see the adjuster wheel or really feel the adjuster wheel click looser or tighter. The click is important because you tighten until the wheel won’t move and then back off a set number of clicks.

Process is similar to what’s you used to do to adjust brake pads on old cars with self adjusting drum brakes, but on those cars it was much easier to see what you were adjusting.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 07:50 AM   #28
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Maybe someone would care to provide a list of ever increasing Brake Pad rating(s) from street to track, with stopping, fade and dust information? I remember seeing this list once, I don't have it, wonder if someone else does? It is useful...

I have just cracked about 10k (miles) on my 2020 and absolutely hate the OEM dust, but don't want to sacrifice any stopping power/distance. If I track, the pads would be swapped, and probably at least upped the rotors as well. But interested in a breakdown of pads for now

TIA
It's somewhat different for every car, so it requires you to do your own research on that. Just remember that BMW themselves are out to get your money, plain and simple. Sales is job 1. So it's to their benefit to sell you something that wears out fast, wears other parts with it, and costs a mint.

You can't beat Akebono for a street pad. Super minimal dust, rotor preservation, no noise, good initial bite, and great performance. The best street pad available. G-Loc / CarboTech would be next. Then something like EBC Redstuff. Those are all STREET pads (I don't track my car), so those are my recommendations in that order. If you want track (HPDE or real track day) pads you'll need to go to that forum and those guys are always happy to help.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 12:49 PM   #29
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
It's somewhat different for every car, so it requires you to do your own research on that. Just remember that BMW themselves are out to get your money, plain and simple. Sales is job 1. So it's to their benefit to sell you something that wears out fast, wears other parts with it, and costs a mint.

You can't beat Akebono for a street pad. Super minimal dust, rotor preservation, no noise, good initial bite, and great performance. The best street pad available. G-Loc / CarboTech would be next. Then something like EBC Redstuff. Those are all STREET pads (I don't track my car), so those are my recommendations in that order. If you want track (HPDE or real track day) pads you'll need to go to that forum and those guys are always happy to help.
Thank you! I found the thread and list too... Lol, after I posted. Should have looked first, but appreciate the response

Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      04-27-2023, 07:37 AM   #30
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Stay away from the dealership. I was there last spring and they replaced the front pads (m brakes) at around 25k miles when they did an oil change. It was still free. I was back there in the fall for a recall and they were like your front pads need changing, they're at 4mm. $800. i laughed and told them off. it's spring again and pads are still fine. I bought some pads and sensor cable from fcp. $100. I'll do it soon when it's time for the oil change. Knock two pins out, swap pads, replace pins. good to go. youtube it.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 07:55 PM   #31
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
I bought some pads and sensor cable from fcp. $100. I'll do it soon when it's time for the oil change. Knock two pins out, swap pads, replace pins. good to go. youtube it.
Full "M" front brakes are more involved.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 10:25 PM   #32
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTM0TION View Post
I had no idea about this. Do they squeak or what’s the catch?
The catch is they don't have initial bite quite like dusty OEM pads. This is fine for some BMWs where the bite is excessive already, but may not be your cup of tea.
Appreciate 1
TTM0TION425.00
      05-03-2023, 07:41 AM   #33
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Yes, there are reasons why BMW has not put ceramic pads on any cars, at least to my knowledge. But people have installed them, even on M cars, and thought they were fine. They don’t track their cars, they don’t notice less initial bite and they really line the greatly reduced dust and noise for those that squeak.

I bought a set of new rotors for my F90 M5 for about $900 on sale, but am still thinking about pads. I probably won’t go ceramic. The stock pads are very good but really dusty and they squeak like a school bus as you complete a low speed stop. The dust and noise really bother a lot of owners, but I don’t mind given the performance. The stock F90 pads are also trackable, though there is a more expensive Euro version that might be better for serious track use.
Appreciate 0