BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-18-2021, 12:16 AM   #1
shadab.ashraf56
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 430i

Driver seat started to develop crease at 500 miles.

This is 2 weeks old 40i msport with vernesca cognac leather with 500 miles on it. It has creases on the contours of the driver seat specifically at any corners and at thigh rest the perforated leather feels dry and rough Feels like it will start to break in near future.

Any one experienced this on their driver seat, rear seat has some wrinkles and i have stopped bothering about them but this driver seat was fine at delivery.

Any leather care product i should use to make leather soft and avoid breaks at crease, this is too early for thinking about these stuffs my 3 year old red dakota leather seats still looks like new.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 04:42 AM   #2
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadab.ashraf56 View Post
This is 2 weeks old 40i msport with vernesca cognac leather with 500 miles on it. It has creases on the contours of the driver seat specifically at any corners and at thigh rest the perforated leather feels dry and rough Feels like it will start to break in near future.

Any one experienced this on their driver seat, rear seat has some wrinkles and i have stopped bothering about them but this driver seat was fine at delivery.

Any leather care product i should use to make leather soft and avoid breaks at crease, this is too early for thinking about these stuffs my 3 year old red dakota leather seats still looks like new.
Do you have a picture?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 05:46 PM   #3
shadab.ashraf56
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1200c View Post
Quote:

Do you have a picture?
There are creases on the left side of the seat and that perforated leather near thigh looks dry and brittle. Some crease on corners of back rest too.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 05:47 PM   #4
shadab.ashraf56
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you have a picture?
There are creases on the left side of the seat and that perforated leather near thigh looks dry and brittle. Some crease on corners of back rest too.
Pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 05:52 PM   #5
shadab.ashraf56
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you have a picture?
Pics
First pic with the crease bothers me a lot is it normal any product to fix that.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 06:17 PM   #6
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

The last two creases are normal when you have 456 Multi-contour seating upper backrest adjusted fully forward. Leather is going to naturally crease when it's bent and held in that position in addition to becoming more prominent overtime when you sit or apply weight to it.

Name:  01618787839.jpeg
Views: 1196
Size:  1.15 MB

Name:  01618787974.jpeg
Views: 1182
Size:  1.21 MB

Name:  01618788204.jpeg
Views: 1186
Size:  1.70 MB

Name:  01618789049.jpeg
Views: 1160
Size:  1.14 MB

If your rear seats looked like mine when it was delivered I could image some table flipping meme occurring... so tempted to necroposting our forum's favorite thread.

Name:  01618789326.jpeg
Views: 1158
Size:  1.31 MB

Last edited by Auricom; 04-18-2021 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 06:41 PM   #7
Busa Dave
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M

Every animal (breed) is different. In addition, the specific manner in which the hide was tanned and what specific part of the animal the hide that makes up up the part of the seating panel came from is important.

Just something to consider.
      04-18-2021, 06:48 PM   #8
stockli81
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

not to mention how large you are... My father is quite pissed as my uncle seemingly deflated his outer passenger side thigh support to be near flat
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 08:17 PM   #9
shadab.ashraf56
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
The last two creases are normal when you have 456 Multi-contour seating upper backrest adjusted fully forward. Leather is going to naturally crease when it's bent and held in that position in addition to becoming more prominent overtime when you sit or apply weight to it.

Attachment 2582980

Attachment 2582981

Attachment 2582984

Attachment 2583007

If your rear seats looked like mine when it was delivered I could image some table flipping meme occurring... so tempted to necroposting our forum's favorite thread.

Attachment 2583011
Rear seats have some creases but it is less than what you have here. I never see them anyways so I am good with that. Can i do something about the crease in the first pic any leather care product which might help.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 08:20 PM   #10
shadab.ashraf56
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockli81 View Post
not to mention how large you are... My father is quite pissed as my uncle seemingly deflated his outer passenger side thigh support to be near flat
I am not large enough to span the whole area with my butt, but i realized when i am exiting the vehicle i am rubbing that part. Can i do something to make it stretched as it was earlier ?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 09:28 PM   #11
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Rear seats have some creases but it is less than what you have here. I never see them anyways so I am good with that. Can i do something about the crease in the first pic any leather care product which might help.
Not sure if you can minimize the crease in the first pic except perhaps apply leather conditioner but since Vernasca has a synthetic polymer paint coat, using conditioners that are designed to "soak" into leather isn't much use.

I'm close to 7K miles on mine and have similar creases there. I'll remind myself to take pics.

For leather care, Sonax comes highly recommended:
https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-premium-leather-kit.html

Including BMW Pure Care for leather:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1745257

Last edited by Auricom; 04-18-2021 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2021, 05:16 PM   #12
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

I have similar (very modest) creasing on Merino leather, albeit at 32,000 miles after 2+ years (and I’m 270 lbs). I use Leatherique products to keep the leather supple and matte.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 06:22 PM   #13
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
I have similar (very modest) creasing on Merino leather, albeit at 32,000 miles after 2+ years (and I'm 270 lbs). I use Leatherique products to keep the leather supple and matte.
Mine is more pronounced in that it is similar creases but more towards the front of the seat. More than the weight, it might be how one gets in and out of the seat probably matters more.

I think creases on leather is normal.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 07:12 PM   #14
shadab.ashraf56
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Quote:
I have similar (very modest) creasing on Merino leather, albeit at 32,000 miles after 2+ years (and I'm 270 lbs). I use Leatherique products to keep the leather supple and matte.
Mine is more pronounced in that it is similar creases but more towards the front of the seat. More than the weight, it might be how one gets in and out of the seat probably matters more.

Yes i think i am sitting on the side bolster while coming out of vehicle. I tend to do that to avoid stepping on rockers . This is my first suv so it might be the height, i am 5 feet 11 inches though. My 2018 4 series here shows less age than this 3 weeks old x5 😫.
I should have gone with merino, only reason i went with vernesca because I thought it to be more durable. Will try sonax or lethreque conditioning as leather feels a bit dry to me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 07:20 PM   #15
Chapel Hill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes i think i am sitting on the side bolster while coming out of vehicle. I tend to do that to avoid stepping on rockers . This is my first suv so it might be the height, i am 5 feet 11 inches though. My 2018 4 series here shows less age than this 3 weeks old x5 😫.
I should have gone with marino, only reason i went with vernesca because I thought it to be more durable. Will try sonax or lethreque conditioning as leather feels a bit dry to me.
I had the same exact problem on my new X5. I bought it with the side steps which absolutely sucked. The steps made it very difficult to get out of the vehicle. The bolsters were wrinkled pretty bad after the first 100 miles because I kind of had to roll and then launch myself out of the vehicle to avoid the side steps.

One of the reasons I told my wife that I had to sell our X5 after only owning it new for 8 months was that I couldn't stand the side steps anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 07:38 PM   #16
shadab.ashraf56
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I should have gone with marino, only reason i went with vernesca because I thought it to be more durable. Will try sonax or lethreque conditioning as leather feels a bit dry to me.
I had the same exact problem on my new X5. I bought it with the side steps which absolutely sucked. The steps made it very difficult to get out of the vehicle. The bolsters were wrinkled pretty bad after the first 100 miles.

One of the reasons I told my wife that I had to sell our X5 after only owning it new for 8 months was that I couldn't stand the side steps anymore.
Wow is it that bad, i tend to keep my cars for 4 to 5 years. I am getting ppf done tomorrow so i will try not to step on it anymore rather step on door sills. so much for luxury 😂
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 08:24 PM   #17
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Another product I applied to the seats when new was CarPro leather coating, which (on the face of it so far) appears to be preventing any discoloration and making clean-up much easier and more effective. Even though my interior is Coffee, it still exhibits dye transfer from blue/black jeans over time. Leather Masters dye transfer cleaner removes it immediately and with little effort.
Appreciate 0