BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-11-2021, 06:15 PM   #23
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

It was a good day for international shipments today. Guess what the courier left on my doorstep? I should have these 100 cpi downpipes installed by the end of next week after she gets out of the beauty shop.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
ed41367.50
Alan l.5401.50
r33_RGSport12904.50
      03-12-2021, 07:08 AM   #24
schaeffs888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d // BMW M135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
Tanzanite too?
Yes! Pretty much your exact spec with OEM Tow Hitch! Although by the looks of it you are going far beyond shortly!!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 08:06 AM   #25
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
It was a good day for international shipments today. Guess what the courier left on my doorstep? I should have these 100 cpi downpipes installed by the end of next week after she gets out of the beauty shop.
Sweet! Are you going to get the rest of the Supersprint system?

I've been wondering if we can only get the rear muffler section and mate it to the factory mid pipe or does it have to be installed as a full system...

Alan
      03-12-2021, 03:59 PM   #26
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I paid $450 for my MSS install. The process isn't any different than installing regular springs.

Theres also not much they need to remove to get to the bolts like some other cars for the install.

In the engine bay all they need to remove is the brace and you have full access to the strut bolts. In the trunk its even easier. You just lift the spare tire cover up and all of the rear strut bolts are right there.

Alan
Thanks for that info Alan. I'm seeking a second quote elsewhere now.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 04:09 PM   #27
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Sweet! Are you going to get the rest of the Supersprint system?

I've been wondering if we can only get the rear muffler section and mate it to the factory mid pipe or does it have to be installed as a full system...

Alan
Nope. I'm stopping with the high flow stainless cats per Supersprint owner's advice. I met him and toured their factory when I lived in Italy a little over a year ago. Very knowledgeable and nice guy named Allesandro. Anyway, I had a F97 comp at the time, and he told me the factory comp exhaust was really quite good. Against his own interests, he reccomended I only swap out the cats. I really liked that setup, and it saved me quite a bit. So I'm sticking with what works again. Knowing the owner, I was able to bypass the US distributor and have them built and shipped to my door. I did have to pay an extra $133 in customs, but it's still well worth the overall discount.

As far as the mix and match compatibility goes, I'm not sure about the back half of the X5MC. I know the DPs are a drop in swap. I was familiar with the F97 rear half compatibility and which components had to be changed together. I'm not sure about the F95 but can ask if you really want to know. We chat on whatsapp from time to time. He did tell me almost all the performance to be gained is from the cat removal and that replacing the back half beyond the secondary cat only increases sound, not performance.

Last edited by MrItaly; 03-12-2021 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 04:19 PM   #28
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaeffs888 View Post
Yes! Pretty much your exact spec with OEM Tow Hitch! Although by the looks of it you are going far beyond shortly!!
I do think it's a beautiful color combination. Lucky you, you could get a factory hitch in your country. Thank God for Stealth Hitch. I probably would have gotten an M50i had it not been for them. No towing capability was not an option for me.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2021, 07:17 PM   #29
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki021 View Post
Where do you do the installation, BMW dealership or somewhere else?

How does it impact the warranty?
Local German performance specialty shop. Dealer wanted even more. It didn't impact my warranty when I did the same on my X3M, but then again I never filed a claim against the engine or suspension. Regardless, one look at that ride and they knew it was lowered. Cold start and they knew the down pipes weren't stock. YMMV
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 07:23 PM   #30
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
I saw in my buddies X3M Comp with MSS installed and its very different than my X5M. His car reminded me of a M3 and the X5M more like a M5 which makes sense. As long as you adjust the expectations to that you won't be disappointed for sure.

My "fun" setting
Engine - Sport+
Suspension - Sport
Steering - Comfort
Brakes - Sport
Trans - D3

The combo of engine and trans in Sport+ and D3/S3 really wakes the car up. I find the trans in D2 isn't aggressive enough but its fine for daily duty mode.

Alan
Alan, my apologies for not responding to you initially. Thank you for your insight and advice. How's the asphalt where you're at? Pretty bad here. Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. I too used D2 for DD in the F97 but bumped up to D3 for my M2 setting when I wanted to get my freak on.

Last edited by MrItaly; 03-15-2021 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 08:19 AM   #31
hdahman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5MC

Quote:
Great question. I fretted over the very same thing as the code was NOT in my build sheet,and someone sent me a copy of a BMW bulletin where they warned they were dropping the prewiring harness from X5s without the tow package. Sent a couple of emails to my sales guy who pulled up their internal build sheet and verified it was in there. He added that the bulletin didn't apply to Ms. So the prewiring was there. Stealth added the factory module into the towing prewire, installed the hitch, then called in a remote coder to activate the module. I have all the factory towing amenities now. It's awesome!
which one you ordered: Rack package or a Combo package (Rack and Towing)? thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 08:01 PM   #32
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Greetings all. I finally picked up my F95 at Spartanburg with a PDC delivery last Thursday. What a day! I even used my marriot status to get a free upgrade to the presidential suite. Great experience all around. Laura gave us one helluva hot lap in an M5, and the loaner X5M on the track in our hands was also a blast. They showcased my car at the entrance when it was time to pick them up. She looks great from the factory, but she's already at the expel installer for the next two weeks for PPF, ceramic on the wheels, tint, spacers and reflector deletes (Thanks, Ben). As soon as she comes out of the beauty shop , she's going to get her MSS urbans installed and dropped an inch and a quarter as well as Super Sprint 100 CPI stainless high flow cats. Will post an after Pic when done and a video of the exhaust startup. In the meantime, here's the starting point.....
Of course you took this car in “azzurro italiano”. Congrats, dude!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 08:44 PM   #33
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdahman View Post
which one you ordered: Rack package or a Combo package (Rack and Towing)? thanks
Combo FTW!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 08:51 PM   #34
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Of course you took this car in “azzurro italiano”. Congrats, dude!
Certo che si! Good to see you. Where's yours? I thought you were getting a bigger one too.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 07:47 PM   #35
MrItaly
Major
Rep

One step closer to completion after two weeks in the beauty shop.....

360 expel PPF
Matched reflector deletes (front and rear)
Hood and trunk carbon roundels
Wheel caps floating carbon emblems
12/18 spacers
Ceramic coating on the wheels
Ceramic tint, front matches rear, transparent on windshield with dark strip up top
Leather sealant

She went literally straight from the beauty shop to the mechanic with no time for a proper photo op. This is the best I could do for now. Next up, springs and the supersprint down pipes. I'll do a proper photo shoot when that's done. Really like what this Tanzanite does in the sun. It's kinda boring without light, TBH. FTR, A-Plus Auto Styling did a phenomenal job on the PPF which is installed by their owner. This guy takes maniacal and OCD to a whole 'nother level. The removal of panels and components really shows in a seamless PPF display-much better than what I had on my F97 in Italy with each seam cut above the body piece edge.
Attached Images

Last edited by MrItaly; 03-23-2021 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 4
Alan l.5401.50
r33_RGSport12904.50
onfireX53617.50
155ND905.50
      03-24-2021, 04:26 AM   #36
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5MC Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
One step closer to completion after two weeks in the beauty shop.....

360 expel PPF
Matched reflector deletes (front and rear)
Hood and trunk carbon roundels
Wheel caps floating carbon emblems
12/18 spacers
Ceramic coating on the wheels
Ceramic tint, front matches rear, transparent on windshield with dark strip up top
Leather sealant

She went literally straight from the beauty shop to the mechanic with no time for a proper photo op. This is the best I could do for now. Next up, springs and the supersprint down pipes. I'll do a proper photo shoot when that's done. Really like what this Tanzanite does in the sun. It's kinda boring without light, TBH. FTR, A-Plus Auto Styling did a phenomenal job on the PPF which is installed by their owner. This guy takes maniacal and OCD to a whole 'nother level. The removal of panels and components really shows in a seamless PPF display-much better than what I had on my F97 in Italy with each seam cut above the body piece edge.
Lovely, lovely car ... plus you've done exactly the same mods as me

the mistake i made, that you haven't, is that i only PPF'd the car after having owned it for 4 months, and putting about 3,000 miles on it. in those 3,000 miles there were a few stone chips, which really i should have had paint-corrected, but didn't. i'm 98% happy with it though, but i learned a lesson ... if you're going to PPF a car, do it ASAP after collection ... i'll do that for the F105 X5M
      03-24-2021, 08:16 PM   #37
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 155ND View Post
Lovely, lovely car ... plus you've done exactly the same mods as me

the mistake i made, that you haven't, is that i only PPF'd the car after having owned it for 4 months, and putting about 3,000 miles on it. in those 3,000 miles there were a few stone chips, which really i should have had paint-corrected, but didn't. i'm 98% happy with it though, but i learned a lesson ... if you're going to PPF a car, do it ASAP after collection ... i'll do that for the F105 X5M
Luckily, well kinda, I learned that lesson on a G05 M40i that was stolen and totaled after a year. Highway tore up that hood in no time in Italy. When I upgraded to the F97, she took an immediate detour to the only PPF installer in town for immediate protection. This time around, I wanted to do a PDC hundreds of miles away from home. My salesman reccomeded painters tape for the return trip. I drive six miles from the factory to the store to get it and still got one big chip on the edge of the lower right frontal plastic air vent. Covered her in tape and made the trip home without further incident. Repurchased that vent from bmw prior to the PPF, so it's all good again. Here's a photo of the trip back up. You can't imagine the stares. 6 miles out of the factory, I got thumbs up from enthusiasts that appreciated the brand new M comp in Tanzanite. After this tape, I got even more looks as in WTF? Yeah, I picked up a travel trailer too from Atlanta while down that way. But that'll be a seperate photo shoot as the ultimate towing machine part 2.
Attached Images

Last edited by MrItaly; 03-24-2021 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 14
Alan l.5401.50
r33_RGSport12904.50
155ND905.50
QF8221.00
1230vani647.00
Jez_zza438.50
Patrik158.00
_M4CHINE_324.00
volodp196.50
      03-24-2021, 08:46 PM   #38
hdahman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5MC

how did you get the trailer hitch installed that fast on the way home

I thought about the tape but I said I will take my chances and got lucky I guess :P
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 08:59 PM   #39
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdahman View Post
how did you get the trailer hitch installed that fast on the way home

I thought about the tape but I said I will take my chances and got lucky I guess :P
Nothing happens that smoothly without painful and purposeful prior coordination. I originally planned to install the stealth hitch myself, like I did on my F97, and had it pre-ordered and shipped to Maryland. Then I found a deal on the model trailer I wanted in Atlanta, which happens to be stealth hitch's headquarters (15 minutes away from the trailer dealership coincidentally). So I called stealth and advised them of my needs and short time line. We pre-arranged everything, they ordered the BMW towing module, and scheduled their remote coder. I even had to change my PDC date since stealth won't install over the weekend. We flew down Wednesday afternoon on Southwest with nearly all our genourous checked bag capacity filled with the stealth hitch, electronic brake controller, drill, and basic tools. I picked up the car Thursday morning, motored to Augusta for an overnight with a friend, launched the next morning pre-dawn, got to stealth for the problem-free install, and then motored 15 minutes down the road to hook up the TT and begin my return trip home up I-95. There were minor hiccups at each point but nothing to derail the overall plan and time line. You should have seen the trailer dealership. They went from seeing my F95 and demanding to see the manual with stated towing capacity (non-existent) in doubt she was up to task and insisting on a signed waiver, to lowering the ball on the hitch, asking me if I had air suspension, and finally asking for a photo shoot to feature on their calendar. Needless to say, they're not used to seeing TTs towed by M cars with our stiff suspension,to which I replied, "yes, as soon as I get the tape off." Ultimate towing machine, I say, but that's for another post. Got back on a Saturday evening with a Sunday drop off at the beauty shop. 1100 miles on the odo. Tomorrow I pick her up from springs and downpipes only to take her to the local dealer on Saturday for the 1200mi RIS. After THAT, she'll finally be mine to do with as I please....

Last edited by MrItaly; 03-24-2021 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 3
r33_RGSport12904.50
Alan l.5401.50
      03-24-2021, 09:31 PM   #40
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Luckily, well kinda, I learned that lesson on a G05 M40i that was stolen and totaled after a year. Highway tore up that hood in no time in Italy. When I upgraded to the F97, she took an immediate detour to the only PPF installer in town for immediate protection. This time around, I wanted to do a PDC hundreds of miles away from home. My salesman reccomeded painters tape for the return trip. I drive six miles from the factory to the store to get it and still got one big chip on the edge of the lower right frontal plastic air vent. Covered her in tape and made the trip home without further incident. Repurchased that vent from bmw prior to the PPF, so it's all good again. Here's a photo of the trip back up. You can't imagine the stares. 6 miles out of the factory, I got thumbs up from enthusiasts that appreciated the brand new M comp in Tanzanite. After this tape, I got even more looks as in WTF? Yeah, I picked up a travel trailer too from Atlanta while down that way. But that'll be a seperate photo shoot as the ultimate towing machine part 2.
They thought you were driving the F105 Prototype !
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12904.50
      03-24-2021, 09:55 PM   #41
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
They thought you were driving the F105 Prototype !
Onfire, you kill me and always have. Good to see you!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 08:52 AM   #42
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Nothing happens that smoothly without painful and purposeful prior coordination. I originally planned to install the stealth hitch myself, like I did on my F97, and had it pre-ordered and shipped to Maryland. Then I found a deal on the model trailer I wanted in Atlanta, which happens to be stealth hitch's headquarters (15 minutes away from the trailer dealership coincidentally). So I called stealth and advised them of my needs and short time line. We pre-arranged everything, they ordered the BMW towing module, and scheduled their remote coder. I even had to change my PDC date since stealth won't install over the weekend. We flew down Wednesday afternoon on Southwest with nearly all our genourous checked bag capacity filled with the stealth hitch, electronic brake controller, drill, and basic tools. I picked up the car Thursday morning, motored to Augusta for an overnight with a friend, launched the next morning pre-dawn, got to stealth for the problem-free install, and then motored 15 minutes down the road to hook up the TT and begin my return trip home up I-95. There were minor hiccups at each point but nothing to derail the overall plan and time line. You should have seen the trailer dealership. They went from seeing my F95 and demanding to see the manual with stated towing capacity (non-existent) in doubt she was up to task and insisting on a signed waiver, to lowering the ball on the hitch, asking me if I had air suspension, and finally asking for a photo shoot to feature on their calendar. Needless to say, they're not used to seeing TTs towed by M cars with our stiff suspension,to which I replied, "yes, as soon as I get the tape off." Ultimate towing machine, I say, but that's for another post. Got back on a Saturday evening with a Sunday drop off at the beauty shop. 1100 miles on the odo. Tomorrow I pick her up from springs and downpipes only to take her to the local dealer on Saturday for the 1200mi RIS. After THAT, she'll finally be mine to do with as I please....
There is no stopping a man on a mission

Alan
      03-25-2021, 11:05 AM   #43
schaeffs888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d // BMW M135i

Garage List
That's insane attention to detail tendies right there... love it!!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 07:46 PM   #44
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaeffs888 View Post
That's insane attention to detail tendies right there... love it!!
Been accused of that before. Proudly guilty as charged!
Appreciate 1