BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-01-2021, 09:41 PM   #67
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Sometimes the DME will go through a learning period on O2 activity. Hopefully, it was looking for set 1 parameters associated with the stock cats but found the AF cats slightly beyond spec and learned the new parameter. May never come back again.

10 or so drive cycles should tell the tale......
That's very interesting to know. I'll post back here in another week or two with my results. How do you know so dern much about these cars, other than the fact you have X5 in your moniker?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 11:36 PM   #68
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Sometimes the DME will go through a learning period on O2 activity. Hopefully, it was looking for set 1 parameters associated with the stock cats but found the AF cats slightly beyond spec and learned the new parameter. May never come back again.

10 or so drive cycles should tell the tale......
Well, that didn't last very long. CEL is back today. Reset it, and it came back again. Safe to say, I think I'm stuck with it in my current configuration. Tell me more of this spacer of which you speak. Any specs?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 05:46 AM   #69
bobbis1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Spacers serve to move the 02 sensor away from the exhaust path so the post cat exhaust doesn’t not appear to be running so rich to the ecu.

I ran these with no issue with a set of sport/race cats on a car w finicky emissions system.
http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/straight-cel-fix.html

My 355 has the cats removed so I run these
https://www.fabspeed.com/universal-9...SABEgJGBvD_BwE
Which actually put a fake cat ahead of the sensor

One thing to be wary of (Someone more familiar w modern bmw engine management will have to chime in) I have read that certain cars actually make use of post cat 02 readings to adjust fuel trim in the engine. Doesn’t make a ton of sense to me that a car should do this but maybe poke around the f90 forums rather than being a guinea pig on a 125k$ car .
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 07:24 AM   #70
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
Well, that didn't last very long. CEL is back today. Reset it, and it came back again. Safe to say, I think I'm stuck with it in my current configuration. Tell me more of this spacer of which you speak. Any specs?

Within 10 cycles it will flag if not relearned.

The above mentioned spacer will generally work. I actually use a set of 1” long straight spacers on the rear 02’s of my TTS with 100 cell cats. The rears are looking for a certain activity level and did not relearn the delta.

They are used as very, very fine , fine, fine trimming/tuning at cruise.....but not a real world issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 08:12 AM   #71
Russ103
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

I can't wait for more pics! This X5MC is incredible looking

Also from MD here
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 07:51 PM   #72
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbis1 View Post
Spacers serve to move the 02 sensor away from the exhaust path so the post cat exhaust doesn’t not appear to be running so rich to the ecu.

I ran these with no issue with a set of sport/race cats on a car w finicky emissions system.
http://www.bigdaddiesgarage.com/straight-cel-fix.html

My 355 has the cats removed so I run these
https://www.fabspeed.com/universal-9...SABEgJGBvD_BwE
Which actually put a fake cat ahead of the sensor

One thing to be wary of (Someone more familiar w modern bmw engine management will have to chime in) I have read that certain cars actually make use of post cat 02 readings to adjust fuel trim in the engine. Doesn’t make a ton of sense to me that a car should do this but maybe poke around the f90 forums rather than being a guinea pig on a 125k$ car .
Bobbis, thank you for the link to the quality spacers. For $30, I grabbed a pair. Can't hurt to try. I'll let you know how it goes. I hope there's space for the install. It's gonna be a pita removing all the under sheathing to be able to access that area.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 07:52 PM   #73
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Within 10 cycles it will flag if not relearned.

The above mentioned spacer will generally work. I actually use a set of 1” long straight spacers on the rear 02’s of my TTS with 100 cell cats. The rears are looking for a certain activity level and did not relearn the delta.

They are used as very, very fine , fine, fine trimming/tuning at cruise.....but not a real world issue.
Good to know. Thanks, Onfire. You never told me how the hell you know these cars so damn well...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 08:04 PM   #74
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ103 View Post

Also from MD here
Thanks, what part of MD? I'm north of Baltimore. I had it washed Friday after the rain with plans for some more photo shoots this weekend, but the pollen is so thick it's dusty already. Tanzanite is definitely not as forgiving as Donnington when it comes to dust. Been running around all weekend doing chores with it. Had to drive to Deleware to buy a chainsaw (thanks covid) and make a costco booze run as well. Best light today was walking back to the truck around 2pm in the home depot parking lot. Sun was catching the tanzanite just right again and turning the high edges light blue leaving the rest of the car much darker. I got that during my PDC and haven't seen it a lot since then. I was tempted to take a photo, but it was the home depot parking lot. I put my phone back in my pocket. Another day....
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 10:16 PM   #75
Russ103
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Also from MD here
Thanks, what part of MD? I'm north of Baltimore. I had it washed Friday after the rain with plans for some more photo shoots this weekend, but the pollen is so thick it's dusty already. Tanzanite is definitely not as forgiving as Donnington when it comes to dust. Been running around all weekend doing chores with it. Had to drive to Deleware to buy a chainsaw (thanks covid) and make a costco booze run as well. Best light today was walking back to the truck around 2pm in the home depot parking lot. Sun was catching the tanzanite just right again and turning the high edges light blue leaving the rest of the car much darker. I got that during my PDC and haven't seen it a lot since then. I was tempted to take a photo, but it was the home depot parking lot. I put my phone back in my pocket. Another day....
I'm in Baltimore Co.

Love your mod choices and color
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 12:44 AM   #76
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm in Baltimore Co.

What's your setup. Can't tell from your profile?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 07:00 AM   #77
Russ103
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm in Baltimore Co.

What's your setup. Can't tell from your profile?
It's only a 2021 X5 M50i (peasant M) and it's the wife's car. I drive a (tuned) Raptor and wouldn't trade it for anything.
I selfishly convinced her that a TT V8 is absolutely needed for running errands around town in a grocery getter, she of course wanted to get a X40i like 99% of buyers.

I just took it to Cecil to see what it would do in a 1/4 mile and was pleasantly impressed at a 12.4@113mph. Time for a tune of course. Looking into which way to go (fairly new to BMW) with tuning.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 07:51 AM   #78
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
It's only a 2021 X5 M50i (peasant M) and it's the wife's car. I drive a (tuned) Raptor and wouldn't trade it for anything.
I selfishly convinced her that a TT V8 is absolutely needed for running errands around town in a grocery getter, she of course wanted to get a X40i like 99% of buyers.

I just took it to Cecil to see what it would do in a 1/4 mile and was pleasantly impressed at a 12.4@113mph. Time for a tune of course. Looking into which way to go (fairly new to BMW) with tuning.
Oh, we're definitely in the same area. 50i is nothing to sneer at, probably the best all rounder version of this chassis with the least amount of compromises. If stealth hitch didn't exist, I'd probably have one too. TBH, I thought the 50i had a twin scroll turbo, not a TT, but maybe I missed something. Cool you took it to Cecil and nice times.I always swore I'd do that with my mosdded F97 but never got around to buying a helmet of all things. It's on my list now with the F95 after I get her tuned. Speaking of which, you're tracking that's not possible on ours at the moment until someone properly cracks the DME. And so we wait.....
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 08:02 AM   #79
Russ103
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh, we're definitely in the same area. 50i is nothing to sneer at, probably the best all rounder version of this chassis with the least amount of compromises. If stealth hitch didn't exist, I'd probably have one too. TBH, I thought the 50i had a twin scroll turbo, not a TT, but maybe I missed something. Cool you took it to Cecil and nice times.I always swore I'd do that with my mosdded F97 but never got around to buying a helmet of all things. It's on my list now with the F95 after I get her tuned. Speaking of which, you're tracking that's not possible on ours at the moment until someone properly cracks the DME. And so we wait.....
They didn't seem to care about helmets. I brought mine just in case but didn't wear it. I see you're in Aberdeen, so it's a mere 15 drive for you to get to Cecil on a Saturday test and tune. You should definitely go and confirm what your mods have done over a stock X5MC
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 08:02 PM   #80
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
They didn't seem to care about helmets. I brought mine just in case but didn't wear it. I see you're in Aberdeen, so it's a mere 15 drive for you to get to Cecil on a Saturday test and tune. You should definitely go and confirm what your mods have done over a stock X5MC
Without a tune, I don't think the factory map will take advantage of the freer flowing exhaust. The only thanks the car has shown me thus far is gorgeous sound and a nice CEL to remind me it wants the factory cat back. Spacer is due in soon. Hope that fixes it. Maybe I should do a quarter just to baseline stock and get used to the track while I await a tune.

Last edited by MrItaly; 04-08-2021 at 08:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
Russ103300.50
      04-09-2021, 07:36 AM   #81
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Without a tune, I don't think the factory map will take advantage of the freer flowing exhaust. The only thanks the car has shown me thus far is gorgeous sound and a nice CEL to remind me it wants the factory cat back. Spacer is due in soon. Hope that fixes it. Maybe I should do a quarter just to baseline stock and get used to the track while I await a tune.
With the limited data on the X5MC available, a baseline would be killer.
Appreciate 1
Russ103300.50
      04-09-2021, 11:34 PM   #82
MrItaly
Major
Rep

MrItaly's F95 build

Those of you that knew me from the F97 forum know I ran I stealth hitch to tow a small wood or cargo trailer. Bigger family calls for bigger upgrades, to include our towing capabilities. The stealth hitch is back again on my F95, but now I don't just tow a cargo trailer; I can tow a 6k pound dry, which means more like 8k pound with all my stuff loaded, 28 foot travel trailer. I have to admit this V8 torque makes this SUV a towing monster. Who needs a pickup truck when you have the X5MC to pull heavy loads? Most of the other owners of this camper use a heavy duty pickup to tow this trailer and get about 8 MPG on the highway. I average nearly double that with the X5MC. Stealth hitch installed the factory towing module to extract the full towing electronics of our platform. The end result is sublime.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      04-11-2021, 06:24 PM   #83
MrItaly
Major
Rep

So I reinstalled using the set pin when finished this time. Things had definitely shifted without it. The X5 squats less now, although Anderson told me an inch or so of squat is desirable when towing with a WDH, so I should be spot on. The SUV feels very planted now and solid when towing. I like this setup. Here are a few pics with closeups as requested.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-12-2021, 01:16 PM   #84
Axxlrod
Dude man
Rep
Drives: X5/X7/Acura NSX

How's the braking?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 01:39 PM   #85
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 155ND View Post
Lovely, lovely car ... plus you've done exactly the same mods as me

the mistake i made, that you haven't, is that i only PPF'd the car after having owned it for 4 months, and putting about 3,000 miles on it. in those 3,000 miles there were a few stone chips, which really i should have had paint-corrected, but didn't. i'm 98% happy with it though, but i learned a lesson ... if you're going to PPF a car, do it ASAP after collection ... i'll do that for the F105 X5M
Luckily, well kinda, I learned that lesson on a G05 M40i that was stolen and totaled after a year. Highway tore up that hood in no time in Italy. When I upgraded to the F97, she took an immediate detour to the only PPF installer in town for immediate protection. This time around, I wanted to do a PDC hundreds of miles away from home. My salesman reccomeded painters tape for the return trip. I drive six miles from the factory to the store to get it and still got one big chip on the edge of the lower right frontal plastic air vent. Covered her in tape and made the trip home without further incident. Repurchased that vent from bmw prior to the PPF, so it's all good again. Here's a photo of the trip back up. You can't imagine the stares. 6 miles out of the factory, I got thumbs up from enthusiasts that appreciated the brand new M comp in Tanzanite. After this tape, I got even more looks as in WTF? Yeah, I picked up a travel trailer too from Atlanta while down that way. But that'll be a seperate photo shoot as the ultimate towing machine part 2.
You know, they sell painters tape in 6inch widths...maybe use that when u get your Porsche...

Nice ride sir!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 02:31 PM   #86
Russ103
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have to admit this V8 torque makes this SUV a towing monster. Who needs a pickup truck when you have the X5MC to pull heavy loads? Most of the other owners of this camper use a heavy duty pickup to tow this trailer and get about 8 MPG on the highway. I average nearly double that with the X5MC.
How are you possibly getting 16mpg while towing? I average 12mpg in the M50i without towing or hauling a single passenger around.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 03:07 PM   #87
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Greetings all. I finally picked up my F95 at Spartanburg with a PDC delivery last Thursday. What a day! I even used my marriot status to get a free upgrade to the presidential suite. Great experience all around. Laura gave us one helluva hot lap in an M5, and the loaner X5M on the track in our hands was also a blast. They showcased my car at the entrance when it was time to pick them up. She looks great from the factory, but she's already at the expel installer for the next two weeks for PPF, ceramic on the wheels, tint, spacers and reflector deletes (Thanks, Ben). As soon as she comes out of the beauty shop , she's going to get her MSS urbans installed and dropped an inch and a quarter as well as Super Sprint 100 CPI stainless high flow cats. Will post an after Pic when done and a video of the exhaust startup. In the meantime, here's the starting point.....
Such a clean ride.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 04:34 PM   #88
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
When you get a chance, comment on the Driving Dynamics between the X3MC and the X5MC. I had an F85 and loved it. Perfect size. Handling was a bit loose, but great for it's size. Wife's X3MC is like a Sports Car. Firm ride, but drives smaller than it's physical size. I still keep thinking about a new X5MC though....same engine that my F95 had....some positives....
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12803.00