BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-07-2021, 09:54 AM   #1
pookiemalibu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X5MC

Which Car: X6M or Porsche Cayenne Hybrid

Guten Tag! So my wife's lease ends soon and we're trying to decide on a new ride for Mrs. Malibu. Although the title says two options, there are technically three: X6M, Cayenne Hybrid and Panamera Hybrid. The reason for the hybrid is the PHEV federal tax credit of up to $7500 (around $6700) for a Cayenne last I checked.

Wife is currently in 430i Gran Coupe, but with Baby Malibu growing by leaps and bounds, space has become an issue and the 4-series just isn't large enough. The Panamera is probably out because I can't depreciate it as much via Section 179 as I could the X6M or the Cayenne. Also the Panamera price point is a bit much, but the wife LOVES the design.

We did look at the Mercedes AMG GT 4-Door, but the dealer was such an asshole (offered a 7% money factor like I was a fucking idiot, the sales associate didn't even have business cards and was trying to push off a 2020 at $3K above MSRP) that it totally turned us off the Merc.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 10:10 AM   #2
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

I never liked the grille look of the Porsche C
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 11:08 AM   #3
pookiemalibu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HZX540e View Post
Agreed. The look of the Cayenne is a bit "egg-like" so to speak. It doesn't have the same lines as the F95/6 but it's one of the few luxury SUVs that has a hybrid model and that the wife can handle on the road. She says that X5's are too big and bulky for her tastes.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 11:44 AM   #4
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookiemalibu View Post
She says that X5's are too big and bulky for her tastes.
But the X6 is on your list? Its actually wider than the X5. When the wife and I test drove a X6M it felt big on the outside and cramped in the inside..... The X5 felt like it had better visibility since it didn't feel squished. Obviously to each their own but I wouldn't have guessed the X5 feels bigger since it feels more open and less restrictive to us.

My thoughts if she thinks the X5 is to big go with the Porsche Cayenne Hybrid not only will it be more economical it drives like its more nimble and easier to control and predict.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 06:57 PM   #5
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
But the X6 is on your list? Its actually wider than the X5. When the wife and I test drove a X6M it felt big on the outside and cramped in the inside..... The X5 felt like it had better visibility since it didn't feel squished. Obviously to each their own but I wouldn't have guessed the X5 feels bigger since it feels more open and less restrictive to us.
I also took a test ride in the X6MC mainly to listen to the B&W sound system in which the X5MC I test rode only had the standard HK system. The view out the inside rear view mirror was awful on X6M.
I also felt the X6M was a bit cramped inside and though I doubt the springs are different than the X5MC's, the ride quality wasn't as nice as the X5MC.
Handling (turns/curves) felt about the same.

But everyone looks/feels things differently.
Appreciate 1
Tenac4504.50
      04-07-2021, 07:02 PM   #6
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HZX540e View Post
Agreed. The look of the Cayenne is a bit "egg-like" so to speak. It doesn't have the same lines as the F95/6 but it's one of the few luxury SUVs that has a hybrid model and that the wife can handle on the road. She says that X5's are too big and bulky for her tastes.
More like a bass mouth wide open
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 04:51 AM   #7
schaeffs888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d // BMW M135i

Garage List
My 2 cents on this one as I was looking at replacing the F15 M50d last year and drove the Cayenne e-Hybrid / Cayenne TT / Cayenne TTS / X5 45e before deciding on the X5MC.

I'd thoroughly recommend you try them all before buying but my view was that both the Cayenne e-Hybrid and TTS (both hybrid) did not disguise their weight very well, listing in corners that made you want to stop pressing on... The TT on the other hand was better - I'd say on par with the X5MC but the car just wasn't as exciting to drive and felt quite a bit down on power to the M.

Since I've owned the X5MC I've really felt it shrink wraps around you and I've never once felt I needed to back off at all - it really is that good handling wise. For me it feels a lot like a hot hatch with a super high driving position and pretty much endless power if you want it. It is definitely a firmer ride than the others though - I really like it and for me its never jarring as the quality of the damping is excellent - but you need to drive one yourself and make your own mind up.

I'd also take another look at the X5 over the X6 - the cars are basically the same width wise and the X5 is far more practical - particularly important with a growing family...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 03:09 PM   #8
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
X6MC
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 04:07 PM   #9
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Quote:
Guten Tag! So my wife's lease ends soon and we're trying to decide on a new ride for Mrs. Malibu. Although the title says two options, there are technically three: X6M, Cayenne Hybrid and Panamera Hybrid. The reason for the hybrid is the PHEV federal tax credit of up to $7500 (around $6700) for a Cayenne last I checked.

Wife is currently in 430i Gran Coupe, but with Baby Malibu growing by leaps and bounds, space has become an issue and the 4-series just isn't large enough. The Panamera is probably out because I can't depreciate it as much via Section 179 as I could the X6M or the Cayenne. Also the Panamera price point is a bit much, but the wife LOVES the design.

We did look at the Mercedes AMG GT 4-Door, but the dealer was such an asshole (offered a 7% money factor like I was a fucking idiot, the sales associate didn't even have business cards and was trying to push off a 2020 at $3K above MSRP) that it totally turned us off the Merc.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts...

Sounds like the treatment we have gotten the few times we have considered or even just looked at Mercedes. They sell ugly cars for ridiculous prices to grouchy old men that think they know about cars and in reality don't have a clue. You look at the stuff they offer for over a 100k and just go WTF?
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2021, 09:19 PM   #10
pookiemalibu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
Sounds like the treatment we have gotten the few times we have considered or even just looked at Mercedes. They sell ugly cars for ridiculous prices to grouchy old men that think they know about cars and in reality don't have a clue. You look at the stuff they offer for over a 100k and just go WTF?
Malibu, J concurs with Speedyman, J.

I mean the sales guy was nice enough, but the finance manager was a total douchebag. I've heard they are stingy with G-Wagons and that they are consistently sold at tens of thousands over MSRP. But a base model AMG GT 4-Door that's been sitting on your lot? GTFOH

I also wonder if it's a Florida thing because I have had exactly zero luck with dealers in the Sunshine State. Braman down in Miami actually quoted me $2500 over MSRP when we were shopping for our X5MC. Ended up using a dealer in ATL with an extremely generous discount (albeit with a marked up MF --- but what's my time worth?).

That said, any thoughts on which direction we should go?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 09:30 PM   #11
pookiemalibu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaeffs888 View Post
My 2 cents on this one as I was looking at replacing the F15 M50d last year and drove the Cayenne e-Hybrid / Cayenne TT / Cayenne TTS / X5 45e before deciding on the X5MC
So we have a 2021 X5MC now and we both really love it, but for different reasons. I love the looks, feel and absolute "unnecessaryness" that it projects, particularly when compared with the normal X5. Wife loves the tech and luxury (little stuff like massaging seats and heated/cooled cup holders).

To your point though, I'm concerned that the Porsche doesn't handle well and surprisingly a lot of dealers don't seem to have a good inventory on the hybrid model. Lots of Macans and stripper models with plastic looking trims/lower body fascias for $100K. The wife likes the look of the X6MC but we may need to test drive. A friend has recommended a compromise of a 745e and kit it out with ///M Performance parts and rims.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 01:09 PM   #12
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
X5MC or X6MC
      04-09-2021, 01:41 PM   #13
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettie1767 View Post
X5MC or X6MC
For me the X5MC because of the headroom and trunk size.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 08:34 PM   #14
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaeffs888 View Post
My 2 cents on this one as I was looking at replacing the F15 M50d last year and drove the Cayenne e-Hybrid / Cayenne TT / Cayenne TTS / X5 45e before deciding on the X5MC.

I'd thoroughly recommend you try them all before buying but my view was that both the Cayenne e-Hybrid and TTS (both hybrid) did not disguise their weight very well, listing in corners that made you want to stop pressing on... The TT on the other hand was better - I'd say on par with the X5MC but the car just wasn't as exciting to drive and felt quite a bit down on power to the M.

Since I've owned the X5MC I've really felt it shrink wraps around you and I've never once felt I needed to back off at all - it really is that good handling wise. For me it feels a lot like a hot hatch with a super high driving position and pretty much endless power if you want it. It is definitely a firmer ride than the others though - I really like it and for me its never jarring as the quality of the damping is excellent - but you need to drive one yourself and make your own mind up.

I'd also take another look at the X5 over the X6 - the cars are basically the same width wise and the X5 is far more practical - particularly important with a growing family...
X5M is a winner since it is so much cheaper to lease than a Cayenne Turbo S (deeper discounts and BMW is more generous with the residuals and options are way cheaper). It is much more affordable and better in some respects making it a better value overall. JMHO.

Given that this is a BMW forum people would prefer the looks of the X6M over a Cayenne Coupe.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2021, 08:37 PM   #15
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
X5MC or X6MC
X5MC. IMHO. The X6 rear looks really bad. The X5MC is also more practical.

I'd pick an X5MC over any of the super SUVs, but would pick a Cayenne Coupe or Urus over the X6MC, on looks alone. JMHO.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2021, 10:19 PM   #16
pookiemalibu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post

I'd pick an X5MC over any of the super SUVs, but would pick a Cayenne Coupe or Urus over the X6MC, on looks alone. JMHO.
Agreed. X5MC is the best looking Super SUV/SAV on the market. Period. That's why we waited and ordered a custom one in lieu of an on the lot M50i. Urus is too flashy and will the aesthetics probably age like a Countach (for better or for worse). Cayenne looks good but Porsche nickel and dimes you for every single accessory. And there are many. At this point, I'm thinking she'll be fine in a 745e....

Jesus, talk about First World Problems.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 03:20 PM   #17
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Quote:
X5MC or X6MC

This. I'm currently in a F86 and shopping for my next ride. I can't stand the look of the current X6MC, but the X5MC looks good. I'm also shopping the Urus and Cayenne Turbo. The Cayenne Coupe Turbo feels slow especially for it's price. I'm either going with the X5M or Urus (or possibly both since wife wants an Urus for herself).
      04-13-2021, 06:54 PM   #18
pookiemalibu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
This. I'm currently in a F86 and shopping for my next ride. I can't stand the look of the current X6MC, but the X5MC looks good. I'm also shopping the Urus and Cayenne Turbo. The Cayenne Coupe Turbo feels slow especially for it's price. I'm either going with the X5M or Urus (or possibly both since wife wants an Urus for herself).
Go with the X5MC. Parked ours next to the Urus and frankly it doesn't compete aesthetically for me. Plus the price difference and limited mileage on Lambo leases are dealbreakers. Also can't drive one in my line of work. Gonna test drive a Cayenne next time I'm in a city with a dealer that has a higher end model.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0