Golfnatic
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpositive View Post
Hi there.
Pretty new to the forum. Live in Panama.
I bought a sweet 2019 X5 4.0i M Sport in December and have been in love ever since. Its my first BMW.
I took the car in for its first service the other day and I asked if they could update the iDrive software as I think I saw that it had never been done since new.
We don't get MyBMW in Panama so these things are hard to figure and there is no auto updates or anything like that available here.
The next day I got CarPlay activated by BimmerTech.
Anyway while driving home from the city yesterday afternoon my dashboard display started dimming and then getting brighter.
It has always been pretty stable..in fact I ever noticed any changes to the brightness until yesterday.
I dont believe my windows are tinted....but not sure.
The dimming did not seem to be associated with any ambient light changes. But when it dimmed I could barely see the gauges.
Could the SW update have caused this?
Sorry for the newbie questions but this car is so damn tech its amazing and scary! I own vintage cars in the main!
Many thanks.
The software update should not have caused your problem. However, you may have not have noticed that the display is dimmed as much as it is in the sunlight until today, which can happen depending upon where the sun was at the time. Try adjusting the dash brightness and if that doesn't work, you can always go the bimmercode route to adjust it if that doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 09:34 PM   #178
Bpositive
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5, Meyers Manx

Yes it’s possible especially as it’s very sunny here and I drive mostly during the day. I did not think the brightness control worked in daylight…just at night. It had no effect the day I noticed the dimming. I would go the coding route but having just had it coded for CarPlay I don’t want to have to remove that to make this mod which I understand I have to do if I want to use Bimmercode. But I’m still baffled that I had not noticed it before now.