BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-11-2022, 06:00 AM   #89
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Great work on the testing guys, I haven't had any time to test or even drive much and probably won't for the next week so its great that you are making progress here!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 07:11 AM   #90
TestnDoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
I don't think anyone is suggesting values above 7F
It would not let me enter an integer higher than 7.
23 Countryman JW Cooper (wifey)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 11:52 AM   #91
gnolivos
Captain
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestnDoc View Post
Quote:
I don't think anyone is suggesting values above 7F
It would not let me enter an integer higher than 7.
You can go anywhere between 0 hex and F7 hex. (0-127 decimal). Anyway, not that it matters much.
      02-11-2022, 12:08 PM   #92
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdiekeb View Post
When I tinted the front windows on my 2022 X5 (G05), I had the same problem with dim dash and control screens during the day. Using BimmerCode, I made the following code changes with very acceptable results:

Headunit - 3005 APIX_CID_UND_ZIN - DIM_CURVE_X2 – change values to 0x00, 0x00 (from 0x1F, 0xC0)

Instrument cluster - 3000 Anzeige_Konfiguration – DIM_TAG_NACHT_LICHT_EIN_ENABLE – change value to aktiv

Instrument cluster - 3005 FuBi_Parameter – DIM_DTN – change value to 0x7F (from 0x3F)

After programming the codes above, go to Car/Settings/Displays/Control display and change the "Brightness at night" to it's lowest value. Then use the standard I.P. scroll wheel to set a comfortable light level in darkness.

These changes have made driving my BMW much more pleasant, without having to glue a tiny light to my dash.

If any of you would like to try these settings on yours as well, then report back with the results, I would be very interested in your experience, and probably others here as well.

Hope this helps, everyone....
Thanks for the post.

I've managed to address the console display dimming but not the gauge cluster. However, it sounds like your approach differs. We messed with the light sensor's trigger values so it effectively has to be darker than is likely ever possible for it to dim the console display. But even though said sensor is in the gauge cluster, our tweaks never affected it.

Can you clarify your approach? Not the how—you've illustrated that nicely… thanks—rather, what is it you're manipulating to cause the desired effect.

Thx!

r33_RGSport FYI
Appreciate 1
gnolivos319.00
      02-12-2022, 10:09 AM   #93
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdiekeb View Post
When I tinted the front windows on my 2022 X5 (G05), I had the same problem with dim dash and control screens during the day. Using BimmerCode, I made the following code changes with very acceptable results:

Headunit - 3005 APIX_CID_UND_ZIN - DIM_CURVE_X2 – change values to 0x00, 0x00 (from 0x1F, 0xC0)

Instrument cluster - 3000 Anzeige_Konfiguration – DIM_TAG_NACHT_LICHT_EIN_ENABLE – change value to aktiv

Instrument cluster - 3005 FuBi_Parameter – DIM_DTN – change value to 0x7F (from 0x3F)

After programming the codes above, go to Car/Settings/Displays/Control display and change the "Brightness at night" to it's lowest value. Then use the standard I.P. scroll wheel to set a comfortable light level in darkness.

These changes have made driving my BMW much more pleasant, without having to glue a tiny light to my dash.

If any of you would like to try these settings on yours as well, then report back with the results, I would be very interested in your experience, and probably others here as well.

Hope this helps, everyone....
Thanks for the post.

I've managed to address the console display dimming but not the gauge cluster. However, it sounds like your approach differs. We messed with the light sensor's trigger values so it effectively has to be darker than is likely ever possible for it to dim the console display. But even though said sensor is in the gauge cluster, our tweaks never affected it.

Can you clarify your approach? Not the how—you've illustrated that nicely… thanks—rather, what is it you're manipulating to cause the desired effect.

Thx!

r33_RGSport FYI
Ben just implemented the changes and after 5 years or so of prodding around, we finally have a working solution.

Thanks, imdiekeb!!

Update: so the coding worked. The daylight brightness no longer changes according to ambient lighting conditions. However, the brightest it gets is not equivalent to the brightest it used to get when in direct sunlight. Even shining a flashlight there has no impact. So while my gauge cluster is now far, far better than it has ever been, the console/headunit display is actually dimmer than it was with my prior solution.

I'm gonna read through the coding again and see if the values you supplied can be tweaked up or down depending on their meaning to positive effect.

Last edited by limeypride; 02-12-2022 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12971.00
AGONXF30270.50
      02-12-2022, 10:53 AM   #94
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

Did anyone ever get an explanation from imdiekeb for what the 3 codes do?
      02-12-2022, 12:23 PM   #95
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did anyone ever get an explanation from imdiekeb for what the 3 codes do?
I'm digging into that now.

APIX_CID_UND_ZIN - DIM_CURVE_X2 translates poorly to
APIX CID AND ZIN DIM CURVE X2
... my guess is the APIX referenced here is a lighting bus developed by Inova and the value represents a trigger on a light curve to control LEDs attached to their bus. // this is, however, a massive fuckin' amount of inference/speculation

DIM_TAG_NACHT_LICHT_EIN_ENABLE translates to DIM DAY NIGHT LIGHT ON ENABLE: aktiv
... with the translation, it reads to me like the NIGHT brightness setting now also governs the daytime brightness in unison with ambient light roll wheel control in the headlight cluster. imdiekeb's instructions would seem to corroborate that.

As for the 3rd setting, it's too short & too vague to even make an educated guess.

imdiekeb Do you have any more details as to each value's specific effect?
Appreciate 2
gnolivos319.00
AGONXF30270.50
      02-12-2022, 12:25 PM   #96
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

DTN is Day to Night threshold value.
limeypride4425.00
      02-12-2022, 12:26 PM   #97
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can go anywhere between 0 hex and F7 hex. (0-127 decimal). Anyway, not that it matters much.
Did you try tweaking the value? Based on what you mention above, it seems you did and it had no effect?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 12:29 PM   #98
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Did you try tweaking the value? Based on what you mention above, it seems you did and it had no effect?
I tried keeping it at default value (along with making the other 2 changes) and the cluster seemed brighter most of the time. But at times it dimmed. I couldn't figure out why or when. I was also covering the sensor and couldn't get it to dim so it's a mystery.
Then changed it to 7F and it definitely stays bright all the time now during the day.
limeypride4425.00
      02-12-2022, 12:29 PM   #99
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. So this perhaps governs the ambient lighting trigger that the car uses to assert it's nighttime (or that you've driven into a dark-arsed tunnel). That makes sense in principle but the sky in the BMW nav system changes when the car thinks it's nighttime, this isn't happening... could be another trigger for that one I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 12:31 PM   #100
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. So this perhaps governs the ambient lighting trigger that the car uses to assert it's nighttime (or that you've driven into a dark-arsed tunnel). That makes sense in principle but the sky in the BMW nav system changes when the car thinks it's nighttime, this isn't happening... could be another trigger for that one.
I'm confused by DTN. One would think the brightness of the cluster would have nothing to do with the "night time switchover". Which is what I thought DTN was for. I wish I understood more.
      02-12-2022, 12:38 PM   #101
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. So this perhaps governs the ambient lighting trigger that the car uses to assert it's nighttime (or that you've driven into a dark-arsed tunnel). That makes sense in principle but the sky in the BMW nav system changes when the car thinks it's nighttime, this isn't happening... could be another trigger for that one.
I'm confused by DTN. One would think the brightness of the cluster would have nothing to do with the "night time switchover". Which is what I thought DTN was for. I wish I understood more.
Likewise.

Aside: I just realized that the headunit's brightness setting no longer increases brightness linearly, in fact, anything above 6 or 7 (assuming a 1-base) actually lowers the brightness. :
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 12:40 PM   #102
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

What do you mean? How are you increasing the HU brightness. Say more please.
      02-12-2022, 12:43 PM   #103
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Using the nighttime brightness setting on the console display. After the coding, it also affects daytime brightness.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 03:41 PM   #104
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Using the nighttime brightness setting on the console display. After the coding, it also affects daytime brightness.
I saw your earlier edit stating your HU is not as bright after the coding.
I have been driving all day and it is very bright as before. Shining a light doesn't make anything brighter now, and I'm really thinking it's at full Brightness constantly during the day.

Also while on that topic, I'm not loving the idea of having this full brightness during the day, specifically when it's maybe 45 mins before dusk. It's overpowering. I need to understand the 3 code changes to see if I can find a way to make it fully bright during the day (and not sensitive to the tint etc) but in a way that it will dim somewhat when it starts truly getting dark outside.

I think maybe changing that dim curve value to something somewhat higher than purely 0x00 might do the trick.
      02-12-2022, 05:00 PM   #105
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I saw your earlier edit stating your HU is not as bright after the coding.
I have been driving all day and it is very bright as before. Shining a light doesn't make anything brighter now, and I'm really thinking it's at full Brightness constantly during the day.

Also while on that topic, I'm not loving the idea of having this full brightness during the day, specifically when it's maybe 45 mins before dusk. It's overpowering. I need to understand the 3 code changes to see if I can find a way to make it fully bright during the day (and not sensitive to the tint etc) but in a way that it will dim somewhat when it starts truly getting dark outside.

I think maybe changing that dim curve value to something somewhat higher than purely 0x00 might do the trick.
That other brightness tweak I made restored it so all good on the head unit brightness now.

The gauge cluster is far better than before but still not as bright as it can be. However, I'd say I've got a workable solution now.

Related: I'm driving my wife's '22 X5 M50 and its larger display seems brighter under the same conditions as my M8. If you don't like it this bright, adjust the nighttime brightness.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 09:40 AM   #106
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

Im testing now with DTN value of 5F. That is right in between the default 3F and the max 7F. It appears to me that this is the best compromise that will dim the screens at least SOME during the late hours of dusk. I will report back.
      02-15-2022, 08:05 PM   #107
imdiekeb
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Hello, everyone. I've been away and haven't looked at the forum until now. I'm glad to see that some of you are trying out the settings I reported on. It seems that some of you are seeing the cluster too bright at night. I found that I had to both set the night time brightness in the cluster display settings to it's lowest value AND turn down the scroll wheel quite far. But, I have good lighting both day and night now.
Some have asked what each setting does and how I came to these changes....and I would LOVE to tell you, BUT I CAN'T. I simply don't know. I came upon these settings by much trial and error....and some luck. If those out there that are smarter than I am (most of you) could figure them all out, I would love to know myself.
For now, I'm just WAY happier with my X5!
Appreciate 1
gnolivos319.00
      02-16-2022, 01:09 AM   #108
DHart
Born to Drive
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Fantastic news to improve the display brightness.

Can someone provide a link to how to do the coding? Will the dealer do that or is it done by the vehicle user?
      02-16-2022, 07:45 AM   #109
gnolivos
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Fantastic news to improve the display brightness.

Can someone provide a link to how to do the coding? Will the dealer do that or is it done by the vehicle user?
Get an adapter for use with bimmercode. Dealer won't do it.
      02-16-2022, 08:37 AM   #110
Mynoles1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 s40i M-Sport

As one that implemented Bimmerlight it is GREAT to see that far sharper minds than mine have come up with a coding solution. I went all the way back to BMWNA regarding this subject with the normal "blow-off" on each step of the way. Thanks to all that have taken the time to create this. I will keep an eye on this thread to see what developments/updates/tweaks occur.

One question I do have, coming from a non-coder. Will this coding get wiped out each time there is a software update ??

Again, thanks to all.
Appreciate 0