BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-20-2023, 10:21 AM   #1
FLYZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 sDrive40i M Sport

Software Update not installing 03/2023.50

I received the in-app notification a few weeks ago that the 03/2023.50 update was available for download. Next time I was on wifi I downloaded it, and next time I was in the car for a longer drive, I initiated the transfer. That was weeks ago.

Now every time I go to the Software Update menu in the car, it tells me that the update has been downloaded, but it will tell me when it's ready to be installed. What the hell is there to wait for? I can understand that maybe, MAYBE a little processing time might have been required after the update transferred from my phone to the car, but weeks or a month? I have driven the car dozens of times since them for varying lengths. Any necessary wait should have elapsed.

Should I schedule a service appointment or are others having the same problem? If this is by design and the car is supposed to wait, why would BMW push the update if it wasn't ready to install?
      06-20-2023, 11:11 AM   #2
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
The transfer is from the phone to the car, that probably hasn't completed. Check the MyBMW app to see what stage it's at.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 11:18 AM   #3
FLYZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
The transfer is from the phone to the car, that probably hasn't completed. Check the MyBMW app to see what stage it's at.
Sorry, amigo. Transfer completed long, long ago. The car shows its completed. The phone shows its completed, ready to install, follow instructions in the vehicle. Car says it will tell me when it's ready and has to be parked. Said that for weeks.

I have completed several of these in the past, so I have tried parking the car in my garage with it on. Tried it with both keys in it. Everything. The actual install just won't initiate.
      06-20-2023, 02:39 PM   #4
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

I experienced the same thing. Called BMW Genius who advised to give it some more time and if it still had not installed, take it to the dealer to install. After waiting a couple of weeks further with no install, did just that. Service manager advised this was a common issue with recent updates, BMW has indicated a fix is coming but there is no estimate yet as to when.

Also, dealer updates are always the latest, so 03/2023.60 was installed.

And, If you're using Bimmercode to program ASS off, that will no longer work with the update until Bimmercode comes up with a solution.
Appreciate 2
MB1003.00
FLYZ97.50
      06-20-2023, 02:46 PM   #5
MB100
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW G05 X5 xDrive 40i

Same on my end. Initially downloaded and transferred a few weeks ago, but no prompt to install, just wait. May take dealer option then.
Appreciate 1
FLYZ97.50
      06-20-2023, 03:54 PM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
I received notification on the MyBMW app for OTA update 03/2023.50 yesterday evening.

NOTE: i just came back 2d ago from vacation; for 8 days, my vehicle sat in the airport garage with 14% HV battery capacity and was unplugged, but i did plug in and charge overnight. since i connect my iPhone via CarPlay, fulfilling those 3 connection requirements were pretty much instantaneous as soon as i settled in my seat. it took 13m to transfer the update data from my iPhone to the vehicle while sitting in my garage in the drive-ready state (U.S. MY21 45e). I didn’t have to drive around

it took 15m to complete the install

most of my BimmerCodes reset as expected, but I can’t speak to ASS or dimming instrument cluster codes for I never had issues with these in the first place (thus nothing to re-code). I didn’t lose presets or any apps either. this is my fourth OTA i-Level update since ownership, and all have gone as smoothly as described above

FLYZ are you making those 3 connections the MyBMW app is prompting (wifi, bluetooth, apps)? you can't proceed to transfer the data from your phone to the vehicle until you do. also, if you have an iPhone, did you enable "Local Network" under the MyBMW app in the iPhone Settings? once transferred and assuming you are parked with the engine off, iDrive will ask you two things:
Upgrade now
Perform upgrade later
Attached Images

Last edited by nZtiZia; 06-20-2023 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 2
      06-20-2023, 05:48 PM   #7
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

All these recent posts ... I just threw mine on the trickle charger just to top off the SOC to see if it will phone home so home will send me a update
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 06:06 PM   #8
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

My dealer told me it is not their problem. The update never installed and it is saying no longer available.

My warranty is over now. I guess I have to deal with it?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 08:20 PM   #9
STEALERHSIPS GONE SOON
Banned
Rep

bmw has ALWAYS sucked at car electronics

they fcuk up everything, they don't miss ANYTHING: navigation system, steering wheel, radio going mute for no reason AM and FM, sound amplifier fried and base totally going dark, software updates not finalizing or impounding the vehicle, and so on and so on. ANd that is valid for their ENTIRE range of vehicles!
Sub-standard quality vehicles for premium prices!

those who think I'm just badmouthing, just ask me and I'll provide you documented proofs for every issue listed above.

bmw turned into: the ultimate STALLING machine
Appreciate 1
dean530.00
      06-21-2023, 08:35 AM   #10
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYZ View Post
I received the in-app notification a few weeks ago that the 03/2023.50 update was available for download. Next time I was on wifi I downloaded it, and next time I was in the car for a longer drive, I initiated the transfer. That was weeks ago.

Now every time I go to the Software Update menu in the car, it tells me that the update has been downloaded, but it will tell me when it's ready to be installed. What the hell is there to wait for? I can understand that maybe, MAYBE a little processing time might have been required after the update transferred from my phone to the car, but weeks or a month? I have driven the car dozens of times since them for varying lengths. Any necessary wait should have elapsed.

Should I schedule a service appointment or are others having the same problem? If this is by design and the car is supposed to wait, why would BMW push the update if it wasn't ready to install?
I don't get it. Mine went flawlessly. I sat in the car while the update downloaded. It took about 15 minutes, max, then went into install mode after I set the parking brake.

Maybe it's the app? I know the car "confirms" it's been updated but obviously it hasn't. I have Android. Some with Apple have reported similar issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 08:48 AM   #11
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I’m guessing folks with issues may not have the proper phone settings enabled, such as Local Network for the iPhone. it should be part of the upgrade process
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 08:53 AM   #12
MotoWPK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i vert, '14 X5 40i

Phone settings would affect downloading to the vehicle, but the issue brought up by the OP, and that I too experienced, is the vehicle failing to install the downloaded update. This is confirmed by the iDrive reporting the software has been downloaded and will advise when it can be installed, but never does.

It is an issue recognized by BMW, according to the service manager at my dealer.
Appreciate 2
FLYZ97.50
      06-21-2023, 09:00 AM   #13
Jcit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
Same problem with my car on this latest update (and also with previous updates). I can download the update to the car via MyBMW app on my phone (wifi + bluetooth) but the software never installs in the car. It just tells me it will advise me when the install can occur but it never happens. Previously I had to bring it to the dealer to install updates as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 09:34 AM   #14
chefwong
Major
Rep

For those stating it will not install but it's downloaded on phone, I would try dumping it on a trickle charger to see if it will trigger it.

I can't say for sure if the parameters are SOC, but there was one instance where I had it similar and right after a trickle charge, the following drive , was prompted for the install
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 11:58 AM   #15
FLYZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

OK, people who keep talking about the phone connections, I seriously don't know how much more clearly I can state this - the update has already transferred from the phone to the car. The connection works. It did work. It still works. It worked so well that the updated transferred from the phone to the car weeks ago. My phone knows it. The myBMW app knows it. The car knows it. Everything agrees that the update has transferred. It has NOTHING to do with my phone because the data is already off of my phone and in the car. I simply cannot get the car to initiate the installation of the update program. In fact, my phone keeps telling me that the update has transferred and I need to follow the on-screen prompts in the car to complete the install - the car just won't initiate it.

However, MotoWPK has essentially told me everything I need to know. Sounds like I need the dealer to initiate the install. Thanks for the help, Moto.
      06-21-2023, 02:09 PM   #16
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
I dont think this is phone to car connectivity issue.

My car has been stuck with updates before but it never went through since it last automatically updated back in 2021...After that I always had to get it updated at the dealer while changing oil.

I think what BMW messed up is their parameters to update.
I remember there being some requirement for the update to progress:
1. Car temperature
2. Battery level (may be both for dual battery cars?)
3. Good connectivity to cell network
And potentially more.

As our car ages, I'm suspecting if the car wants the battery level to be at certain capacity but due to age it never gets to that or something...

There could be other complications but I really wish BMW would make it simple...

May be they're just using this as a tactic to pull people into dealerships..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 02:16 PM   #17
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I prefer downloading updates onto a flash drive then connecting it to the vehicle. it may solve the “sticky” prerequisites issue in addition to waiting for it to roll-out on their ambiguous schedule to each respective vehicle
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 02:56 PM   #18
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

When the BMW area rep looked at mine, he said he thought that if you were NOT using the app at all, it would still download via the vehicle's cellular network. I'm not sure how easily that could be tested. BUt, I agree, it would be easier if we could download the data, throw it on a flash drive, and insert it in the vehicle. I'd like to have the entire US nav maps available that way, too, but unlike some other parts of the world, you can only get your local region updated OTA which can make a long distance trip kind of a pain as you have to change your home region for it to trigger an update...just driving into the area does not, or at least it didn't when I traveled into the adjacent region and was there for a week.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 08:54 AM   #19
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
OK, people who keep talking about the phone connections, I seriously don't know how much more clearly I can state this - the update has already transferred from the phone to the car. The connection works. It did work. It still works. It worked so well that the updated transferred from the phone to the car weeks ago. My phone knows it. The myBMW app knows it. The car knows it. Everything agrees that the update has transferred. It has NOTHING to do with my phone because the data is already off of my phone and in the car. I simply cannot get the car to initiate the installation of the update program. In fact, my phone keeps telling me that the update has transferred and I need to follow the on-screen prompts in the car to complete the install - the car just won't initiate it.
You're assuming that your car isn't lying to you.

This might be an AI thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 02:36 PM   #20
FLYZ
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post
You're assuming that your car isn't lying to you.

This might be an AI thing.
      06-23-2023, 05:06 AM   #21
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

I have the exact same issue.

Downloaded, transferred to car and 'prepared' the update weeks ago. Car and phone fully charged, did multiple >1h road trips since. It refuses to start the install.

Previous 3 OTA updates were installed successfully using the same phone

Quote:
Sorry, amigo. Transfer completed long, long ago. The car shows its completed. The phone shows its completed, ready to install, follow instructions in the vehicle. Car says it will tell me when it's ready and has to be parked. Said that for weeks.

I have completed several of these in the past, so I have tried parking the car in my garage with it on. Tried it with both keys in it. Everything. The actual install just won't initiate.
Appreciate 1
FLYZ97.50
      06-23-2023, 06:37 AM   #22
micmitch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2018 Accord

Same issue here
Appreciate 1
FLYZ97.50