BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-15-2020, 09:05 PM   #1
gpretired
Rep
Drives: M Roadster, X5 phev45

Defective Battery Cage Welding US x5 45E

My new US BMW x5 45 phev built in July, arrived at the dealer on Thursday, and I was informed Friday, that there was a Stop Sale for the unit. My SA claimed that my unit is suspected to have defective welding of the battery cage, no known fix, and that it would take 6 weeks to repair ( I assume that time estimate came from the factory, but not sure) Many questions come to mind.

1) Has anyone else experienced this issues? Am I the only one? Was this just a bad robot day when my car was built and they figured the problem now.
2) How long should I wait before I place another order. I have no confidence in the "6 weeks estimate". I do assume that they must fix the car somehow but when and how elude me.
3) Is there any other source of information, beyond my SA on this issue.
4) Any insight into how they could fix defective battery cage welding. Seems fairly integral to the body integrity, but not sure.

Right now I am in indeterminate wait mode. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 09:27 PM   #2
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpretired View Post
My new US BMW x5 45 phev built in July, arrived at the dealer on Thursday, and I was informed Friday, that there was a Stop Sale for the unit. My SA claimed that my unit is suspected to have defective welding of the battery cage, no known fix, and that it would take 6 weeks to repair ( I assume that time estimate came from the factory, but not sure) Many questions come to mind.

1) Has anyone else experienced this issues? Am I the only one? Was this just a bad robot day when my car was built and they figured the problem now.
2) How long should I wait before I place another order. I have no confidence in the "6 weeks estimate". I do assume that they must fix the car somehow but when and how elude me.
4) Any insight into how they could fix defective battery cage welding. Seems fairly integral to the body integrity, but not sure.

Bob
If it were me I would refuse delivery of that vehicle and order a new one.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 02:51 AM   #3
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpretired View Post

Bob
According to this article:

1) Yes. 4,460 cars in total (not just X5s) with batteries manufactured between 3/13 and 8/6.
2) Your call. The 6 weeks estimate seems more than generous and I doubt that you will have another car custom made faster.
3) Yes. Check link provided, use Google Translate if necessary.
4) According to the article, it takes 30 minutes to check whether the welding is defective and then "more time" to repair it if needed.

You should ask your dealer whether they have already received instructions how to check your battery - should only take 30 minutes according to BMW.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2020, 04:52 PM   #4
gpretired
Rep
Drives: M Roadster, X5 phev45

Caramel,

Thanks for quick reply and insight. A US google search on this topic shows nothing, so your link to a German language article was key.

It would appear that US customers could benefit from this insight, as BMW will have an "official recall in Europe" but a recall has not been forthcoming as of yet in US. I would recommend any US owner of a BMW vehicle with battery power built during the above period, read the link you provided and decide what steps they should take.

Armed with your info, I directed the dealer to perform the check and after which they determination that "service dept thinks they will have to replace some high voltage batteries". I should know lead times to get it repaired tomorrow.
Appreciate 0