BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-11-2020, 04:31 PM   #67
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The automatic OEM one is kind of slick. I had the predecessor of the Stealth Hitch on one vehicle, and it was kind of a pain. Unless you ensure you take it off when not needing it all of the time, it can get stuck in the socket, so removing it can be a pain. It appears that the newest version may be using SS, so that MIGHT be better. You still want to use a little grease on it, but then that makes storing it a little messier, too. Given that, I opted for the NA OEM one. WIthout the motorized retract function, it's a lot less expensive, too. But, it's always there, staring you in the face (well, if you're looking at it from the back - I could care less!).

FOr those that may not live here, it is a square receiver. Most of our things like bike racks just slide in, you insert a locking pin, and it's done. To tow a trailer (caravan for those outside the US!?), you insert a bar with a ball on it, then hook up your device to the ball (aka gooseneck). Getting all of the OEM trailer functionality (lights, are easy) requires an OEM compatible box, of which, there aren't any for the G05 now except the OEM one. That functionality gives you additional camera views, trailer stability logic, trailer lamp failure detection, and automatic integration of the PDC in the rear so it's not yelling at you that there's something back there.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 05:56 PM   #68
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The automatic OEM one is kind of slick. I had the predecessor of the Stealth Hitch on one vehicle, and it was kind of a pain. Unless you ensure you take it off when not needing it all of the time, it can get stuck in the socket, so removing it can be a pain. It appears that the newest version may be using SS, so that MIGHT be better. You still want to use a little grease on it, but then that makes storing it a little messier, too. Given that, I opted for the NA OEM one. WIthout the motorized retract function, it's a lot less expensive, too. But, it's always there, staring you in the face (well, if you're looking at it from the back - I could care less!).

FOr those that may not live here, it is a square receiver. Most of our things like bike racks just slide in, you insert a locking pin, and it's done. To tow a trailer (caravan for those outside the US!?), you insert a bar with a ball on it, then hook up your device to the ball (aka gooseneck). Getting all of the OEM trailer functionality (lights, are easy) requires an OEM compatible box, of which, there aren't any for the G05 now except the OEM one. That functionality gives you additional camera views, trailer stability logic, trailer lamp failure detection, and automatic integration of the PDC in the rear so it's not yelling at you that there's something back there.
thanks for the explanation. I know I have the execuhitch on my 2013 X6M. it used a cast steel block and yes need to keep a thin layer of oil or grease up in the mechanism to keep it from ceasing up. Execuhitch aka invisihitch went out of business 4-5 years ago. Steve from Execuhitch started a new company called Stealth Hitches and did some re-engineering and fixed design flaws with the execuhitch. One design change was a stainless hitch block mechanism which should address the corrosion /rust issue . I think overall Stealth Hitch is an excellent product and as a company are very responsive to customer input at least this has been my experience. I am currently waiting for my Stealth hitch for my 2021 X6MC, should be shipping next week hopefully.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 09:24 PM   #69
rawskyb
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, Porsche Macan GTS

I was just on the phone today with Robert at Stealth Hitches discussing their hitch for my '21 X5 45e. I have actually been talking to them for the past 6 weeks to see if they were going to get the chance to do an install on the 45e model to ensure it fits the same as the other G05 models. They have not (and I'm too far away from their location in Georgia to let them do the install on my X5), so I went ahead and ordered anyway.

They are going to assist if I run into any design or fitment issued and promised to do whatever is needed to make it work. It's in their best interest to figure it out too, so it makes sense that they are willing to help out.

My Stealth Hitch should arrive on Saturday, but I'm not sure when I will have the block of time necessary to try installing.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 10:38 PM   #70
jayband
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawskyb View Post
I was just on the phone today with Robert at Stealth Hitches discussing their hitch for my '21 X5 45e. I have actually been talking to them for the past 6 weeks to see if they were going to get the chance to do an install on the 45e model to ensure it fits the same as the other G05 models. They have not (and I'm too far away from their location in Georgia to let them do the install on my X5), so I went ahead and ordered anyway.

They are going to assist if I run into any design or fitment issued and promised to do whatever is needed to make it work. It's in their best interest to figure it out too, so it makes sense that they are willing to help out.

My Stealth Hitch should arrive on Saturday, but I'm not sure when I will have the block of time necessary to try installing.
Let me know, I want to swap out the factory one with the stealth hitch
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 11:41 PM   #71
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Step-by-step Stealth hitch installation video - 2020 BMW X5. Your DIY project, enjoy

11-18-2020, 06:31 PM   #72
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

I had the predecessor to the stealth hitch on my previous vehicle. It worked. I chose the factory OEM one for the X5. It's a lot less expensive, fully integrated functionality, factory warranty, and, I don't think it looks bad. I care much more about what it looks like from the inside and how it functions than some aesthetic I'll never view while using the thing. And, it's another set of keys to keep track of, and parts to get lost when not attached. If you leave it in all of the time, how's that help the looks? Once locked, you'll probably have to lay on the ground to remove it to find the keyhole, then turn the knob to release it. And, the thing is heavy and you have to cut the protection panel underneath the bumper to fit it in, exposing the interior to kicked up crud. The receiver is lower, which may be either good or bad, depending on your rack, or trailer. I'm not a fan of having the plug pointing down, either. More chance of salt, water, crud getting to the contacts when in use, and the cover isn't perfect, either.

Given the constraints, it's not a bad design.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 06:59 PM   #73
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Hi jad03060, thanks for sharing your experience. Due to different circumstances many of us cannot or won't order the factory hitch. I was unable to order it with my DHP package; it's a hard restriction from the factory. Factory option is priced well, but it is what it is. One good thing with this setup is that we get to keep the hands-free tailgate opening.
      12-05-2020, 10:03 PM   #74
rawskyb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayband View Post
Let me know, I want to swap out the factory one with the stealth hitch
I installed the Stealth Hitch on my 45e today. No issues with fitment, it seems that BMW managed to keep the exact same design for the rear end on the 45e as they have on the 40i including the exhaust system.

The install took me about 5 hours and was not easy, but I was working alone which definitely made it a little more difficult. Removing the rear bumper by myself took a little more time than it would have if I had an assistant. But overall it wasn't too bad and I didn't run into any major issues. A broken clip on a plastic panel behind the bumper (fixed with a screw to hold the panels together) and a screw that fell down by the battery and disappeared, but no other problems.

I was able to get the bumper removed without removing the passenger side tail lamp, which saved quite a bit of time in not removing the interior cargo space panel. Everything else went pretty much as described in the directions.

The only thing I have left to finish is to cut the center rock panel underneath. I figured out how much space is needed to reach inside and unlatch or unlock the hitch, so I am only going to cut the bare amount of the panel necessary. I'll cut this panel tomorrow and then install it with the six screws that hold it in place. Should only take a few minutes.

I love the fact that the hitch is completely invisible when the receiver is not in place and I retained my kick to open feature.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 06:56 PM   #75
rawskyb
Private
Rep

I cut and installed the gravel guard today. It turned out pretty good, except I actually wish I had cut even less of the gravel guard than I did, which was substantially less than what they suggest in the installation instructions.

Here is what they show in the instructions:
Name:  Gravel guard cut.png
Views: 2060
Size:  719.0 KB

And here is my cut gravel guard:

Name:  pM8gHlflRLGb566heDui1w.jpg
Views: 2095
Size:  1.12 MB

Name:  rMBQ0c5aQ02G8Kt9wyIh4g.jpg
Views: 2071
Size:  279.9 KB

After cutting the section out with a dremel, I switched to a grinding wheel to remove any sharp edges. I could have cleaned it up a bit better, but you cannot really see it when it is mounted so I didn't waste time on this.

From behind:

Name:  GpJNJR1oRU6uColIynn7Iw.jpg
Views: 2172
Size:  481.7 KB

If I could do it again, I would cut here (green line):
Name:  cut_out_ideal - 1.jpg
Views: 2055
Size:  123.3 KB

The horizontal cut in this location would retain the section of plastic that is more vertical and blocks behind that section.

I had no problem reaching inside to unlatch the receiver or to access the key lock for the receiver. Access is actually more blocked by the bumper and kick-to-open sensor on the front edge than by this gravel guard.
Appreciate 2
Noneya251.50
      12-08-2020, 10:52 AM   #76
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
I cut and installed the gravel guard today. It turned out pretty good, except I actually wish I had cut even less of the gravel guard than I did, which was substantially less than what they suggest in the installation instructions.

Here is what they show in the instructions:
Attachment 2477412

And here is my cut gravel guard:

Attachment 2477413

Attachment 2477414

After cutting the section out with a dremel, I switched to a grinding wheel to remove any sharp edges. I could have cleaned it up a bit better, but you cannot really see it when it is mounted so I didn't waste time on this.

From behind:

Attachment 2477415

If I could do it again, I would cut here (green line):
Attachment 2477425

The horizontal cut in this location would retain the section of plastic that is more vertical and blocks behind that section.

I had no problem reaching inside to unlatch the receiver or to access the key lock for the receiver. Access is actually more blocked by the bumper and kick-to-open sensor on the front edge than by this gravel guard.
I wonder if you could just remove a small portion of the heat shield that is exposed visually from the back and leave the rest intact so it doesn't show? This way only the black plastic shows and might look better.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 12:19 PM   #77
RoamingPo8
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatBoyG View Post
The factory hitch is nice and subtle, disappears with black. Works great with my Kuat bike rack.
I bought a vintage Airstream and am looking to custom order a new 2021 x5 45e hybrid with factory installed towing package.

I asked my dealer to confirm the manufacturer installed tow hitch can tow up to 7200 lbs, and the dealer insisted that it only tows 5940 lbs:

"The max towing for any 2021 BMW X5 is 7,200 lbs.
The X5 hybrid is rated for 5,940 lbs."

After I sent him the following links that said specifically that x5 45e could tow 7200 lbs with a factory installed hitch:

https://insideevs.com/news/428079/bm...s-range-price/
https://www.motorweek.org/auto_news/...xdrive45e-phev

Can any body explain this with authority and provide some kind of BMW official documentation? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 12:42 PM   #78
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingPo8 View Post
I bought a vintage Airstream and am looking to custom order a new 2021 x5 45e hybrid with factory installed towing package.

I asked my dealer to confirm the manufacturer installed tow hitch can tow up to 7200 lbs, and the dealer insisted that it only tows 5940 lbs:

After I sent him the following links that said specifically that x5 45e could tow 7200 lbs with a factory installed hitch:

Can any body explain this with authority and provide some kind of BMW official documentation? Thanks!
Unless you are the BMW engineer or BMW official technical person I don't think anyone would/could confirm any such information for NA. I have read somewhere actual BMW documentation that they are working on an "approved retrofit hitch" for NA ( posted by member "SmartSaves" somewhere on this forum). At which time they would probably release actual specifications. I wouldn't put my trust in any other media source for specifications especially information coming from journalists.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 01:14 PM   #79
RoamingPo8
Registered
Rep

Thanks! I thought there might be a more knowledgeable BMW sales person here to explain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
Unless you are the BMW engineer or BMW official technical person I don't think anyone would/could confirm any such information for NA. I have read somewhere actual BMW documentation that they are working on an "approved retrofit hitch" for NA ( posted by member "SmartSaves" somewhere on this forum). At which time they would probably release actual specifications. I wouldn't put my trust in any other media source for specifications especially information coming from journalists.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 04:14 PM   #80
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

From the US owner's manual for the X5 45e:
Trailer towing
X5 xDrive45e
Trailer load without brakes lbs/kg 1,653/750
Trailer load with brakes on uphill grades of up to 12 % lbs/kg 5,952/2,700
Maximum drawbar nose weight lbs/kg 551/250
Approved rear axle load, towing vehicle lbs/kg 3,968/1,800
Approved gross vehicle weight, towing vehicle lbs/kg 6,967/3,160

The OEM trailer hitch differs by country, so what might be true for the US style receiver may not be true for the gooseneck hitch used in many other countries.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 05:44 PM   #81
rawskyb
Private
Rep

Quote:
I wonder if you could just remove a small portion of the heat shield that is exposed visually from the back and leave the rest intact so it doesn't show? This way only the black plastic shows and might look better.
I see no reason you couldn't do this, but I'm not sure that is going to improve anything. If you cut the heat shield in the middle, it will simply expose the muffler behind it. So instead of seeing the heat shield behind the cut section of the gravel guard, you will see the muffler instead.

I actually painted the heat shield black to reduce visibility. This helped, but it's really the fact that the plastic gravel guard is cut differently on one side versus the other, and not so much what is behind it.

Name:  M71QTEpXTTOBG+kbKiF12A.jpg
Views: 1974
Size:  644.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 06:45 PM   #82
sfscott
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

Quote:
I did a search on SmartSave's posts, and the only thing I found was some reference to being able to source the wire harness from Canada.

Is there separate news of a retrofit hitch coming? Need for X5M.

I have done the Invisihitch/stealth in the past but would be interested in something OEM.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 07:11 PM   #83
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
I see no reason you couldn't do this, but I'm not sure that is going to improve anything. If you cut the heat shield in the middle, it will simply expose the muffler behind it. So instead of seeing the heat shield behind the cut section of the gravel guard, you will see the muffler instead.

I actually painted the heat shield black to reduce visibility. This helped, but it's really the fact that the plastic gravel guard is cut differently on one side versus the other, and not so much what is behind it.

Attachment 2483083
Good idea painting the heat shield. Any reason why you didn't paint the whole thing black? What did you find was the best tool to cut cleanly?

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 07:17 PM   #84
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

He painted the area that you could see once the panels are replaced...you could paint more of it, but there's no need.

I don't know if the materials are different, but on an older BMW, I was able to cut the panel with a sharp utility knife.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 09:47 AM   #85
JonnyCrash
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: VW GTI, BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingPo8 View Post

I don’t trust salesman knowledge, but also don’t trust car reviews for true specs. Look at a manual for your country and see what it says, then trust that. I would be surprised if the hybrid could tow the same as the others due to added battery weight on the chassis, but I’m often surprised by things...
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 09:12 PM   #86
rawskyb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Good idea painting the heat shield. Any reason why you didn't paint the whole thing black? What did you find was the best tool to cut cleanly?
Yes, jad03060 is 100% correct - the rest of the heat shield is completely hidden behind the plastic gravel guard, so there was no reason to paint further. Unless I remove the gravel guard for some reason, I should never see that heat shield again.

I did also spray the heat shields behind the tail pipes, since they looked terrible before. The round tailpipe only blocked about a third of the shroud area, and you could see that bright silver heat shield behind it, really highlighting the small single pipe. The black heat shield helps reduce this eyesore.

Name:  8LhIoT74Th2W8IHjWe4PQA.jpg
Views: 1851
Size:  515.3 KB

For cutting the gravel guard, I used a dremel type of tool with a standard cutting blade. Cutting through the part that is already scored can be done easily with a utility knife, but cutting through the other parts take a little more effort. I'm sure you could do it with a sharp utility knife, but the dremel tool made very short work of it. And once the cut was made, I used one of the rotary sanding tips to smooth out the edges. There is now no sharp edges of the plastic to get cut on reaching up to unlatch the receiver or lock/unlock it.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 06:25 PM   #87
tominfhl
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The automatic OEM one is kind of slick. I had the predecessor of the Stealth Hitch on one vehicle, and it was kind of a pain. Unless you ensure you take it off when not needing it all of the time, it can get stuck in the socket, so removing it can be a pain.
This is my dilemma now. I haven't removed mine for years and now it seems impossible to get out. Any tips?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 06:32 PM   #88
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominfhl View Post
This is my dilemma now. I haven't removed mine for years and now it seems impossible to get out. Any tips?
rubber mallet or dead blow hammer?
Appreciate 0