BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-17-2020, 04:45 AM   #1
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 X5

Carplay option not showing up in menu (SOLVED! )

So I purchased n '19 40i (10/18 build) from Dubai with connected drive capabilities however since importing it into KSA, we dont have the service and since I've been unable or take advantage of a number of features mainly:

CarPlay So im not sure if its hardware based or software based issue as i cannot see the option to activate carplay in the idrive menu?

Driver profile - cannot create a driver profile and hence use valet mode etc.

is there anyway i can bypass this connected drive issue? mainly am i able to activate car play or even do a retrofit to be able to take advantage of google maps. thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by Silver.Solid; 05-03-2022 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 04:54 AM   #2
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

That’s weird...I can’t remember, but I believe the dealership created an account and I had to sign in and finish it. I did it on my last car, but had to sign in to the new G05 with it and activate new services. I’ll try to answer, but your experience may vary...

1. CarPlay should be active if all your services are up. Connect your phone via Bluetooth pairing, then go into mobile device settings and select your paired phone. From there, you should see an option to change the way it is connected from iDrive to CarPlay. It will run through some prompts and you should be good.

2. Is this your first BMW? If so, head over to your country’s Connected Drive Portal site. You can google it if you can’t find it and should see it. If you don’t have an account, you should be given the option to register. This should solve your driver profile issue, since you can log in with those same credentials in your car. Once done, you will see all of your subscribed services on the site, which should include CarPlay.

I hope this helps. I would make sure to get the driver profile done first, since you’ll make all of these settings changed to your preferences, but will only be on the guest profile and not tied to your account/key fob. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 04:55 AM   #3
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Oh by the way, sweet car!! Looks sharp!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 05:06 AM   #4
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
That’s weird...I can’t remember, but I believe the dealership created an account and I had to sign in and finish it. I did it on my last car, but had to sign in to the new G05 with it and activate new services. I’ll try to answer, but your experience may vary...

1. CarPlay should be active if all your services are up. Connect your phone via Bluetooth pairing, then go into mobile device settings and select your paired phone. From there, you should see an option to change the way it is connected from iDrive to CarPlay. It will run through some prompts and you should be good.

2. Is this your first BMW? If so, head over to your country’s Connected Drive Portal site. You can google it if you can’t find it and should see it. If you don’t have an account, you should be given the option to register. This should solve your driver profile issue, since you can log in with those same credentials in your car. Once done, you will see all of your subscribed services on the site, which should include CarPlay.

I hope this helps. I would make sure to get the driver profile done first, since you’ll make all of these settings changed to your preferences, but will only be on the guest profile and not tied to your account/key fob. Good luck!
thanks for the quick reply!

There is no option to enable carplay at the minute. I've just downloaded bimmercode and messed with a bit and was wondering if anyone has tried enabling carplay via coding.

the problem is that we do not have BMW connected drive service in KSA just yet so although I have a connected drive account, the car is not able to connect to the internet. Local dealer will not help.

when i attempt to add the car to my account online, i get this message:

Quote:
The vehicle cannot be added to your account.

The mobile network connection has been deactivated for this vehicle. This means that it cannot be added to your account

Quote:
Oh by the way, sweet car!! Looks sharp!
Thank you! will be post some proper after the nano treatment.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 05:41 AM   #5
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

Interesting...so I might have no clue since the services are not available. Can you create an account online? If not, ask the dealership. There’s an option to active/deactivate the vehicles’s mobile connection on the portal. Might be a lost cause if connected drive isn’t available. I know people can code it in, but if you think it’s going to be available soon, I’d wait. You’ll get it for free versus paying around $200+ to get coded.

Someone with more knowledge and experience on here can definitely assist you.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 05:04 PM   #6
mgnmpl
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50d (G05)

Hi, I had similar issues sometime ago. My CarPlay options disappeared from the iDrive. The cause was an European connected drive issue I believe.

For me it says that the car try to connect to the internet and check if you have a licence for CarPlay. If you’re using your car where it can’t establish internet connection then you might have lost those options.

Unfortunately I can’t help you. Did you try calling your Dubai dealer and asking for advice?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 03:58 PM   #7
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgnmpl View Post
Hi, I had similar issues sometime ago. My CarPlay options disappeared from the iDrive. The cause was an European connected drive issue I believe.

For me it says that the car try to connect to the internet and check if you have a licence for CarPlay. If you’re using your car where it can’t establish internet connection then you might have lost those options.

Unfortunately I can’t help you. Did you try calling your Dubai dealer and asking for advice?
thanks for your response. i tried and they asked me to bring it in (over 1000 kms or 9 hour drive from here across the border)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 12:29 PM   #8
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Interesting...so I might have no clue since the services are not available. Can you create an account online? If not, ask the dealership. There’s an option to active/deactivate the vehicles’s mobile connection on the portal. Might be a lost cause if connected drive isn’t available. I know people can code it in, but if you think it’s going to be available soon, I’d wait. You’ll get it for free versus paying around $200+ to get coded.

Someone with more knowledge and experience on here can definitely assist you.
i can create an account online but im not able to add the car. Im very much open to the possibility of coding if there is a DIY.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 01:11 PM   #9
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep

The only options I've seen on here is for remote coding.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 02:11 PM   #10
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I was wondering if any information has come to light with regards to carplay option not being visible.

Here's a shot of what I see when trying to add a device.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 09:15 PM   #11
M3nt4l
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F20, BMW E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Solid View Post
Quote:
I was wondering if any information has come to light with regards to carplay option not being visible.

Here's a shot of what I see when trying to add a device.
Hello,

If I can get the last 7 of the VIN I can see if CarPlay can be activated.

Thanks
Sat Nav Map Updates
SLI FSC
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 11:12 AM   #12
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3nt4l View Post
Hello,

If I can get the last 7 of the VIN I can see if CarPlay can be activated.

Thanks
thanks, PM sent!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 08:35 PM   #13
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hello - just a bump to see if anyone had experienced anything like this. It seems like im the only one with a g05 and no car play.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 09:00 PM   #14
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 G06

Hello there

It should have the option on your menu.. I do live in Riyadh and ordered my x6 via Dubai

The way this works is once you connect your phone via Bluetooth > you can select either iDrive or Carplay connection mode from settings

Dm me if you need any further assistance
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 05:09 PM   #15
aao4473
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: X5 G05

عيدك مبارك من الكويت

CarPlay comes standard on all x5’s, I had the same issue, i searched all bmw forums, nothing came.

So I spent some time on apple support page.

I had siri off completely on my iphone, unfortunately siri has to be on fully on your iphone to enable carplay.

As for the internet services/apps, the x5 has a data service, for example in kuwait the dealer has a deal with zain, which provides data services for the car for 2 years once bought new, then the customer renews it.

I think you issue is that it works in dubai only, not in ksa.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 04:28 AM   #16
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aao4473 View Post
عيدك مبارك من الكويت

CarPlay comes standard on all x5’s, I had the same issue, i searched all bmw forums, nothing came.

So I spent some time on apple support page.

I had siri off completely on my iphone, unfortunately siri has to be on fully on your iphone to enable carplay.

As for the internet services/apps, the x5 has a data service, for example in kuwait the dealer has a deal with zain, which provides data services for the car for 2 years once bought new, then the customer renews it.

I think you issue is that it works in dubai only, not in ksa.
كل عام وانت بخير

thank you for your response . I couldn't wait so i immediately had to test by switching off and on siri to see if it had any effect. Ended up spending another 45mins in the car trying different combinations with no success.

i think the main difference between my car and other is the option where you choose BMW System or Idrive which i somehow do not have. Even when i try to voice command my BMW to start car play, it says this feature is not available.

so after spending sometime with Ukd X6, who kindly helped me troubleshoot over whatsapp, we suspect its linked to my car not being able to create a driver profile. I wonder if its a security feature linking carplay to a driver profile for security. The connected drive login would just not connect since my car is from the UAE with CD not being enabled because the dealership in Abu Dhabi does not have it enabled yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 04:56 PM   #17
MK83
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Silver.Solid , I bought a BMW Z4 2019 from Abu Dhabi dealership and I'm receive the same message when adding my car BMW connected app:

"The vehicle cannot be added to your account.

The mobile network connection has been deactivated for this vehicle. This means that it cannot be added to your account."

I was wondering if you managed to add Carplay or add your car in BMW ConnectedDrive app.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 05:33 PM   #18
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK83 View Post
Silver.Solid , I bought a BMW Z4 2019 from Abu Dhabi dealership and I'm receive the same message when adding my car BMW connected app:

"The vehicle cannot be added to your account.

The mobile network connection has been deactivated for this vehicle. This means that it cannot be added to your account."

I was wondering if you managed to add Carplay or add your car in BMW ConnectedDrive app.

Thanks
Sadly still not found a fix nor anyone who can figure out the problem since it seems i have the only x5 in the middle rest with no car play. I've got the upcoming first service coming up in 2k... Hoping to find some answers and will feed back.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 06:03 PM   #19
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Hello everyone

Back again at it

Did you try the following

Step-by-step Apple CarPlay Setup Guide
Available on all BMW models with the iDrive 7 system, Apple CarPlay is the best way to connect your Apple iPhone to your new BMW. Follow this easy step-by-step guide, or watch the video above to pair your Apple iPhone to your new 2019 BMW with Apple CarPlay.

Make sure Bluetooth, WiFi, and Siri are activated on your iPhone.
On left side of your iDrive 7 screen, press COM > Mobile Devices > New Device > Phone calls and audio. The system is now discoverable from your iPhone, and may display nearby devices.
On your iPhone, select your BMW from the Bluetooth menu. The two will now begin pairing, and your iDrive 7 screen will confirm the pairing request.
Confirm the PIN displayed on your iDrive 7 and iPhone screens match, then press Yes.
Select the option to connect to Apple CarPlay on your iDrive 7 screen. Your iPhone and BMW iDrive 7 system are now connected via Apple CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 06:06 PM   #20
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep

I also came across a member at the M2 forum who did activate the Carplay in Saudi his name is m7ammed

BMW M2 Competition Model
Just enabled CarPlay

m7ammed (wrote)

Well thanks to wibbles I was able to activate car play! I opened the dashboard/HU only to discover that the WiFi cable was already there.

Activating CarPlay was really simple, got a code and a word file containing all the instructions I needed. Download the small file and followed the instruction the whole process took 15 mins maybe and boom I have got CarPlay. Dealer couldn't do anything for me to get any codes here in Saudi and said it wasn't possible but thanks to wibbles I can enjoy the latest tech.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 06:24 PM   #21
Ukd X6
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Another member found might help

Ratnik 03:52 AM 09-16-2020
If anyone is interested in Carplay, Android screen mirroring, bmw apps, free nav update I can activate it for you. Only 40 euros. Pm me

Or

kubax86 05:27 AM 02-08-2020
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 06:00 AM   #22
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukd X6 View Post
Hello everyone

Back again at it

Did you try the following

Step-by-step Apple CarPlay Setup Guide
Available on all BMW models with the iDrive 7 system, Apple CarPlay is the best way to connect your Apple iPhone to your new BMW. Follow this easy step-by-step guide, or watch the video above to pair your Apple iPhone to your new 2019 BMW with Apple CarPlay.

Make sure Bluetooth, WiFi, and Siri are activated on your iPhone.
On left side of your iDrive 7 screen, press COM > Mobile Devices > New Device > Phone calls and audio. The system is now discoverable from your iPhone, and may display nearby devices.
On your iPhone, select your BMW from the Bluetooth menu. The two will now begin pairing, and your iDrive 7 screen will confirm the pairing request.
Confirm the PIN displayed on your iDrive 7 and iPhone screens match, then press Yes.
Select the option to connect to Apple CarPlay on your iDrive 7 screen. Your iPhone and BMW iDrive 7 system are now connected via Apple CarPlay.

Tried but no carplay option on the screen and local dealership was not able to help siting the car is from a connected drive region
Appreciate 0