BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-02-2020, 06:16 AM   #1
Xeno
Major
Xeno's Avatar
232
Rep
1,268
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

OTA in the USA

When I arrived at my office this morning, I was more than surprised when I saw that an OTA was downloading. The fast download was 936 MB and will give me 11/2019/70. Maybe now I can get DR.

I was going to call my dealerís manager and complain about no firmware updates so I guess BMW NA decided to intervene! Well, I did actually give poor reviews in the last survey since the service manager failed to address several issues as he left me on 7/2019.55

In any event, I am surely not the only one with such dated firmware so here we go ...
Attached Images
   
__________________
2019 BMW X5 xDrive 50i M Sports: ZD8/ZLS/ZMP/ZP2/ZPK/ZPX/337/ZX7/2NH
2015 BMW X5 xDrive 50i/XL/CW/DA+/EP/LP/FVS retired; 2008 X5 4.8i; 2012 X5 5.0i retired, 2004 X4 4.4i retired
R360c + EL, V1G2 + V1Driver, Uniden R7

Last edited by Xeno; 06-02-2020 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 2
      06-02-2020, 06:59 AM   #2
eagle_bmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
159
Rep
396
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
When I arrived at my office this morning, I was more than surprised when I saw that an OTA was downloading. The fast download was 936 MB and will give me 11/2019/70. Maybe now I can get DR.

I was going to call my dealer's manager and complain about no firmware updates so I guess BMW NA decided to intervene! Well, I did actually give poor reviews in the last survey since the service manager failed to address several issues as he left me on 7/2019.55

In any event, I am surely not the only one with such dated firmware so here we go ...
Wow! I'm now heading to my vehicle, please BMW! Please report back if you can get DR after the upgrade.

Edit: Still no RSU/OTA for me ☹️
__________________
2019 X5 40i M-Sport, 07/2020.25
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 07:52 AM   #3
Xeno
Major
Xeno's Avatar
232
Rep
1,268
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bmw View Post
Wow! I'm now heading to my vehicle, please BMW! Please report back if you can get DR after the upgrade.

Edit: Still no RSU/OTA for me ☹️
What is your current FW? Another thread argued that the FW had to be very old to be elgibile for an OTA ug. And notice, I still am not getting the very latest FW.

My installation will not be complete until my commute back home today so I will check then about DR.

BTW, my weather widget is also not working but that is likely not tied to FW.
__________________
2019 BMW X5 xDrive 50i M Sports: ZD8/ZLS/ZMP/ZP2/ZPK/ZPX/337/ZX7/2NH
2015 BMW X5 xDrive 50i/XL/CW/DA+/EP/LP/FVS retired; 2008 X5 4.8i; 2012 X5 5.0i retired, 2004 X4 4.4i retired
R360c + EL, V1G2 + V1Driver, Uniden R7
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 08:23 AM   #4
eagle_bmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
159
Rep
396
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bmw View Post
Wow! I'm now heading to my vehicle, please BMW! Please report back if you can get DR after the upgrade.

Edit: Still no RSU/OTA for me ☹️
What is your current FW? Another thread argued that the FW had to be very old to be elgibile for an OTA ug. And notice, I still am not getting the very latest FW.

My installation will not be complete until my commute back home today so I will check then about DR.

BTW, my weather widget is also not working but that is likely not tied to FW.
I think we have the same 07/2019.55 release so I'm quite puzzled. Hopefully BMW roll this out to more beta testers.

I saw several posts that only "release - 1" is pushed to OTA, which may be the right thing to do given at least 2-3 months of data in the field.
__________________
2019 X5 40i M-Sport, 07/2020.25
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 09:24 AM   #5
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
russelldav's Avatar
Canada
401
Rep
908
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 50i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada

iTrader: (0)

In my complaint to the BBB, BMW confirmed they would only offer RSU's at the previous stable release minus one.

I.e if the current version is 07/2020 then the RSU is offering 11/2019
Appreciate 1
Xeno232.00

      06-02-2020, 10:11 AM   #6
Xeno
Major
Xeno's Avatar
232
Rep
1,268
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
In my complaint to the BBB, BMW confirmed they would only offer RSU's at the previous stable release minus one.

I.e if the current version is 07/2020 then the RSU is offering 11/2019
Do you know if it is likely my update came because my FW is so old?
__________________
2019 BMW X5 xDrive 50i M Sports: ZD8/ZLS/ZMP/ZP2/ZPK/ZPX/337/ZX7/2NH
2015 BMW X5 xDrive 50i/XL/CW/DA+/EP/LP/FVS retired; 2008 X5 4.8i; 2012 X5 5.0i retired, 2004 X4 4.4i retired
R360c + EL, V1G2 + V1Driver, Uniden R7
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 10:26 AM   #7
eagle_bmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
159
Rep
396
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
In my complaint to the BBB, BMW confirmed they would only offer RSU's at the previous stable release minus one.

I.e if the current version is 07/2020 then the RSU is offering 11/2019
Do you know if it is likely my update came because my FW is so old?
You mentioned your current software is 07/2019.55, which is the same as mine, and you got your car late in 2018, mine in May 2019. One difference is you have 50i and I have 40i. It is unknown what BMW is thinking re:RSU but I'm still hopeful the rest of us will see it.
__________________
2019 X5 40i M-Sport, 07/2020.25
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 11:37 AM   #8
ddelallata
New Member
27
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: Ram 1500
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Brownsville, Texas

iTrader: (0)

My vehicle was finally offered a software upgrade.
Mine is a 2019 50i and had been running on 11/2018.55 since I bought it new in March of 2019.
The updated software is 11/2019.70.
The data recorder is now available and I enrolled for a free 30 day trial. I took it for a quick spin around the block and it recorded 40 seconds.
Does anyone know if this also added the cornering lights? I was unable to tell today.
Appreciate 2
Xeno232.00
eagle_bmw158.50

      06-02-2020, 12:04 PM   #9
Xeno
Major
Xeno's Avatar
232
Rep
1,268
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddelallata View Post
My vehicle was finally offered a software upgrade.
Mine is a 2019 50i and had been running on 11/2018.55 since I bought it new in March of 2019.
The updated software is 11/2019.70.
The data recorder is now available and I enrolled for a free 30 day trial. I took it for a quick spin around the block and it recorded 40 seconds.
Does anyone know if this also added the cornering lights? I was unable to tell today.
eagle_bmw will want to know about DR.

Did you follow instructions in the BMW YouTube video to the letter? In other words, did you have to connect to the car's Internet? I think I disabled that feature for reasons not presently in my memory.
__________________
2019 BMW X5 xDrive 50i M Sports: ZD8/ZLS/ZMP/ZP2/ZPK/ZPX/337/ZX7/2NH
2015 BMW X5 xDrive 50i/XL/CW/DA+/EP/LP/FVS retired; 2008 X5 4.8i; 2012 X5 5.0i retired, 2004 X4 4.4i retired
R360c + EL, V1G2 + V1Driver, Uniden R7
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 12:06 PM   #10
LexxM3
Lieutenant Colonel
LexxM3's Avatar
Canada
1181
Rep
1,963
Posts

Drives: E46M3, G05X5
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Waterloo, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
In my complaint to the BBB, BMW confirmed they would only offer RSU's at the previous stable release minus one.

I.e if the current version is 07/2020 then the RSU is offering 11/2019
Correction (and "confirmed" anecdotally several times by those that have received an OTA update recently): it is -1, but if current is 07/2020.xx, then you'll receive the latest .yy released in the 03/2020.yy series. If current is 03/2020.yy (as it is now at the time of this post), you'll receive 11/2019.zz with latest .zz (which is .70 for G05).
__________________
G05 X5 x40i (04/2019 mfg, Canada) on S18A-19-11-540
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 12:20 PM   #11
ddelallata
New Member
27
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: Ram 1500
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Brownsville, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddelallata View Post
My vehicle was finally offered a software upgrade.
Mine is a 2019 50i and had been running on 11/2018.55 since I bought it new in March of 2019.
The updated software is 11/2019.70.
The data recorder is now available and I enrolled for a free 30 day trial. I took it for a quick spin around the block and it recorded 40 seconds.
Does anyone know if this also added the cornering lights? I was unable to tell today.
eagle_bmw will want to know about DR.

Did you follow instructions in the BMW YouTube video to the letter? In other words, did you have to connect to the car's Internet? I think I disabled that feature for reasons not presently in my memory.
I followed the YouTube instructions. I downloaded the upgrade on my iPhone on my home's wifi network then got in the car and it automatically transferred the data as my vehicle and iPhone had WiFi and Bluetooth enabled same as to use CarPlay.
After the software was downloaded it did not automatically update. Instead, I got a message stating that the software was ready and that I would be notified when it was ready to install. I took it for a drive and still no installation until a few minutes later when I turned the vehicle off it prompted me to install the update.
Quick update... the cornering lights now work
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 12:43 PM   #12
Paladin1
Captain
Paladin1's Avatar
United_States
515
Rep
984
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i M Sport, Arctic Gr
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 X5 M Sport  [0.00]
Mine still says "No upgrade available."
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 01:42 PM   #13
eagle_bmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
159
Rep
396
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddelallata View Post
My vehicle was finally offered a software upgrade.
Mine is a 2019 50i and had been running on 11/2018.55 since I bought it new in March of 2019.
The updated software is 11/2019.70.
The data recorder is now available and I enrolled for a free 30 day trial. I took it for a quick spin around the block and it recorded 40 seconds.
Does anyone know if this also added the cornering lights? I was unable to tell today.
Thanks for the update. Your post gave me hope that I'm only lacking later updates to get DR.
__________________
2019 X5 40i M-Sport, 07/2020.25
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 02:56 PM   #14
Xeno
Major
Xeno's Avatar
232
Rep
1,268
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bmw View Post
Thanks for the update. Your post gave me hope that I'm only lacking later updates to get DR.
I, too, now have DR.
__________________
2019 BMW X5 xDrive 50i M Sports: ZD8/ZLS/ZMP/ZP2/ZPK/ZPX/337/ZX7/2NH
2015 BMW X5 xDrive 50i/XL/CW/DA+/EP/LP/FVS retired; 2008 X5 4.8i; 2012 X5 5.0i retired, 2004 X4 4.4i retired
R360c + EL, V1G2 + V1Driver, Uniden R7
Appreciate 1
eagle_bmw158.50

      06-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #15
eagle_bmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
159
Rep
396
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bmw View Post
Thanks for the update. Your post gave me hope that I'm only lacking later updates to get DR.
I, too, now have DR.
Great! My dealer shouldn't have any reason not to upgrade my car. It is technically additional money to BMW.
__________________
2019 X5 40i M-Sport, 07/2020.25
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 08:16 PM   #16
Xeno
Major
Xeno's Avatar
232
Rep
1,268
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bmw View Post
Great! My dealer shouldn't have any reason not to upgrade my car. It is technically additional money to BMW.
Others could weigh on this because I wonder if the OTA version differs in any way from the dealer file. Here is a screenshot of this version:
Attached Images
 
__________________
2019 BMW X5 xDrive 50i M Sports: ZD8/ZLS/ZMP/ZP2/ZPK/ZPX/337/ZX7/2NH
2015 BMW X5 xDrive 50i/XL/CW/DA+/EP/LP/FVS retired; 2008 X5 4.8i; 2012 X5 5.0i retired, 2004 X4 4.4i retired
R360c + EL, V1G2 + V1Driver, Uniden R7
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 08:54 PM   #17
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
72
Rep
159
Posts

Drives: F25 2011 X3 3.5; G05 2019 X5
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Correction (and "confirmed" anecdotally several times by those that have received an OTA update recently): it is -1, but if current is 07/2020.xx, then you'll receive the latest .yy released in the 03/2020.yy series. If current is 03/2020.yy (as it is now at the time of this post), you'll receive 11/2019.zz with latest .zz (which is .70 for G05).
Yep, MY 2019 G05 with 11/2019.55 just got an OTA update to 11/2019.70. I had subscribed to DR yesterday for the 30 day free trial on CD and it showed up on apps today after I updated them and later tonite the OTA came through.

Continuing down this line, perhaps to get the as yet mythical 07/2020 Android Auto update over OTA we may have to wait till December unless we have a service appointment in between for dealer to update?
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2020, 11:25 AM   #18
kkratochvil
Private First Class
United_States
76
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Des Moines

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smovva View Post
Yep, MY 2019 G05 with 11/2019.55 just got an OTA update to 11/2019.70. I had subscribed to DR yesterday for the 30 day free trial on CD and it showed up on apps today after I updated them and later tonite the OTA came through.

Continuing down this line, perhaps to get the as yet mythical 07/2020 Android Auto update over OTA we may have to wait till December unless we have a service appointment in between for dealer to update?
Good to know...My MY2020 G06 is currently on 11/2019.55, but I haven't gotten the OTA update as yet. However, there's hope!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 10:56 PM   #19
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
72
Rep
159
Posts

Drives: F25 2011 X3 3.5; G05 2019 X5
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkratochvil View Post
Good to know...My MY2020 G06 is currently on 11/2019.55, but I haven't gotten the OTA update as yet. However, there's hope!
Try signing up for the 30 day free Drive Recorder trial on BMW connected web site. That may trigger the OTA.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2020, 11:15 PM   #20
kkratochvil
Private First Class
United_States
76
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Des Moines

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smovva View Post
Try signing up for the 30 day free Drive Recorder trial on BMW connected web site. That may trigger the OTA.
Thanks for the suggestion smovva, but I already have Drive Recorder. (It was either Standard on the M50i or it was part of one of the packages I added...I think it's Standard and per the CD Store, I'm subscribed until 2040.)

But I get where you're coming from...subscribe to something in the store, which will trigger a download/sync/upgrade, which might also trigger the overall SW update.

I logged into CD Store and at the moment, there's nothing additional that I could possibly subscribe to.

I'll report back if I see something new/different!
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2020, 04:55 AM   #21
Xeno
Major
Xeno's Avatar
232
Rep
1,268
Posts

Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkratochvil View Post
Thanks for the suggestion smovva, but I already have Drive Recorder. (It was either Standard on the M50i or it was part of one of the packages I added...I think it's Standard and per the CD Store, I'm subscribed until 2040.)

But I get where you're coming from...subscribe to something in the store, which will trigger a download/sync/upgrade, which might also trigger the overall SW update.

I logged into CD Store and at the moment, there's nothing additional that I could possibly subscribe to.

I'll report back if I see something new/different!
Other posts upthread suggest that our FW must be far removed from a later version that has been battle tested before getting an OTA.
__________________
2019 BMW X5 xDrive 50i M Sports: ZD8/ZLS/ZMP/ZP2/ZPK/ZPX/337/ZX7/2NH
2015 BMW X5 xDrive 50i/XL/CW/DA+/EP/LP/FVS retired; 2008 X5 4.8i; 2012 X5 5.0i retired, 2004 X4 4.4i retired
R360c + EL, V1G2 + V1Driver, Uniden R7
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 07:07 AM   #22
randybobandy
Rick James
randybobandy's Avatar
271
Rep
761
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X5
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkratochvil View Post
Thanks for the suggestion smovva, but I already have Drive Recorder. (It was either Standard on the M50i or it was part of one of the packages I added...I think it's Standard and per the CD Store, I'm subscribed until 2040.)

But I get where you're coming from...subscribe to something in the store, which will trigger a download/sync/upgrade, which might also trigger the overall SW update.

I logged into CD Store and at the moment, there's nothing additional that I could possibly subscribe to.

I'll report back if I see something new/different!
I was curious if the MY2020 had Drive Recorder as a package. It's relatively cheap, for BMW, but again...they go with all the nickel and diming. I refuse to believe they use the money to improve services and technology!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST