BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-17-2020, 03:09 PM   #1
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

we need a BMW widget!

iOS 14 is out. if any BMW app developers are reading this, please make a widget for the otherwise brilliant app you have out already. that's all
Appreciate 4
tvasica70.50
volodp193.50
AshD98.50
      09-21-2020, 08:43 AM   #2
SCardamon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
iOS 14 is out. if any BMW app developers are reading this, please make a widget for the otherwise brilliant app you have out already. that's all
Awesome idea! - But the authentication BMW uses would block that usability most likely. The widget framework of old in iOS only lent itself to readily available accessible items in base OS functionality (thus no strong 3rd party dev efforts). AKA Apple widgets are great for Apple apps mostly. However apps like Hue do really well, so not all bad.

Can BMW code around that? Possibly - but that would require development $$ and does not lead to a blockbuster feature directly driving new sales, just a nice to have I think.

Let's not forget that awesome feature of always keeping your car up to date with OTA car upgrades!!!!! Wait a second....
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2020, 10:15 AM   #3
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCardamon View Post
Can BMW code around that? Possibly - but that would require development $$ and does not lead to a blockbuster feature directly driving new sales, just a nice to have I think..
I'm not looking to do stuff with the car even. But having the fuel range/upcoming appointments displayed in a widget would be very cool. Apple already allows for learned behavior and shows you various widgets it thinks is useful as the day rolls along. It would be nice to have that type of information pop up before my daily commute.

Also, I'm not buying your argument for them not deploying development because it may not drive new sales. I'm pretty sure the only people who use this app for the most part are forum goers like us. The vast majority of BMW owners probably don't know about it, or care.
Appreciate 0