E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Software update rip off? Please see!

04-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
tldoxmf87
Captain
South Korea
Rep
Drives: e92 TiAg

Software update rip off? Please see!

So I got a SES light and went to dealer and paid for diagnostics.
SA tells me it needs a software update and when I tell him I'll have to reschedule it for later he tells me they can do it in an hour (which didn't make sense).

I insisted on coming back and later called the dealer to schedule for software update. When I went in, my SA tells me that it cannot be done in same day! He tells me it would take at least 5 hours so I reschedule it for later..

So a few days later I left my car there and they did the software update.
When I asked which version I had and which version they updated it to, they told me my SA was too busy and sent me another guy to answer my questions.

He pulls out the work order and gives it to me (shown in picture).
I notice that the two software (OLD) and (NEW) are the same!!

So did I really get ripped off? Or am I looking at the wrong numbers?

By the way, I did get a software update on April 2010 when it was under warranty. So to me it seems like I already had the latest software and they ripped me off by just performing a system reset?

Last edited by tldoxmf87; 04-19-2011 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

probably
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
tldoxmf87
Captain
South Korea
Rep

Got call from SA and was told I got the wrong paper.
The paper I have is just to verify update was successful.
I guess I jumped to conclusions.
      04-19-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
Neutrino45
Major
Rep
Drives: XXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tldoxmf87 View Post
The paper I have is just to verify update was successful.
I don't see how this makes sense? What information they used on the paper to verify the update was successful? How do they explain why the old and new code are the same?
      04-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #5
tldoxmf87
Captain
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino45 View Post
I don't see how this makes sense? What information they used on the paper to verify the update was successful? How do they explain why the old and new code are the same?
There were stacks of paper and the other guy that came down to answer my questions just looked through the papers and gave me a few pages from there saying that they don't need these.

So according to my SA whom later called me, the other paper they have states that my old software version is different from my new software version.

The reason my paper says they are the same version is because those papers were created after the update was done to test if the update was successful.
      04-20-2011, 05:20 AM   #6
tldoxmf87
Captain
South Korea
Rep

Also it does make sense because my last update was exactly a year ago.
I looked it up and the software version I have right now is indeed the most up to date version and I know there was at least 8~9 updates from a year ago.
      04-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
That's just the integration level, which are collections of various software updates. Sometimes the integration level won't change between point releases of the ISTA software.

IE - ISTA/P 2.40.0 and 2.40.1 share the same I-Level identifier E89x-10-12-501 but there are some software differences between the two. Although if this was done in April, I would have expected to see a E89x-11-03-50x because the ISTA/P 2.41 software has been available since March but I guess your dealership doesn't keep their ISIS instance up to date.

What you should be looking for is the other pages of the ISTA/P report, it will state exactly what was done.

Also, you have the measures plan, which tells you what the system wanted to do. You really want the Final Report which tells you exactly what the system did. Measures plan doesn't mean shit because you print that out without programming the car. The Final Report is generated after programming/coding is complete and gives a detailed report of what was done to the car.

Edit - Attached is the Final Report from my car from when I retrofitted BMW Assist/Bluetooth into the car. Notice on the second page where it shows exactly what was done and if it was successful or not.

Last edited by Dracon; 04-21-2011 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0