BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-05-2021, 09:54 PM   #1
blinkme323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

X3M or X5M50i?

Hello - the lease on my M3cs is coming to term and I've pretty much narrowed things down to the X3M and the X5M50i as my next car, as I want something bigger for the family. My initial lean was towards the X3M, but I'm a little hesitant pulling the trigger right now with the LCI releasing by the end of the year.

That said, has anyone else here been through a similar decision process? I know there will be some bias here but I'm genuinely curious of everyone's thoughts.
      04-05-2021, 10:27 PM   #2
2020G05
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Was choosing between an x3m40 vs x5 40. wanted the x3 but ultimately bought the X5 for the size. X3 was a little on the small size for my needs. if it was only me on the equation I would've bought the X3.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 10:45 PM   #3
Jetrik
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
Hello - the lease on my M3cs is coming to term and I've pretty much narrowed things down to the X3M and the X5M50i as my next car, as I want something bigger for the family. My initial lean was towards the X3M, but I'm a little hesitant pulling the trigger right now with the LCI releasing by the end of the year.

That said, has anyone else here been through a similar decision process? I know there will be some bias here but I'm genuinely curious of everyone's thoughts.
I wanted to get the X3M due its cheaper price and the fact that it would have been a true "M" vehicle. While the engine was impressive, there were certain options I wanted that were only going to be available on the M50i. I didn't want the higher price tag, but I wanted the options. Plus for some reason the seats in the model I test drive for the X3M just wasn't doing it. So, the process began to find a build with the M50i that worked. Hopefully I'll have my hands on it by Wednesday when my lease is up.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 04:40 AM   #4
GlennC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLE 63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post

M50i hands down. However, that only if you can live with not having a true M car. I suggest you test drive the M50i and the X5M. You can then make a decision based on you on your driving style, budget and comfort level in both vehicles. I've owned both. Loved both but the X5M was a bit too stiff and uncomfortable for me when driving around the bumpy roads in my town. So I ended up trading in my X5M for a M50i which was a great vehicle. However, I wanted to be in either a true M vehicle or equivalent. I ended up finding that vehicle in a 2021 GLE 63S which I obtained in Dec by trading my the M50i. Can't say enough thought that I loved many many aspects of both the X5M and M50i.

Sounds to me like the X3M is not a good option for you due to its limited size and very harsh ride (from my perspective, my friend owns while and while I think it's a great vehicle, I dislike being in it because I find the ride uncomfortable and the vehicle seems small to me because I'm accustomed to being in a larger SUV).

Good luck...fun decisions to make!
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2021, 09:53 AM   #5
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

x3M is super fun and actually I can say one of my favorite cars we sell to drive however for me the x5 is just a better overall vehicle if you are looking for a more rounded vehicle. Its a little nicer, obv bigger, and more comfortable for most driving conditions.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2021, 10:13 AM   #6
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

I had an X3 (not M) for a year and ended up wanting to trade up to an X5 initially for the size. It came down to the X3 not having the room for my golf bag (really). After looking at X5s, options and engines, although I didn’t want to spend as much as I did, I ended up building the X5 M50i.

I have not had a regret so far, the X5 M50i is far more luxurious, has more muscle, great handling, and the room I wanted. In my 40+ years of driving, it is the first car I’ve ever made excuses to take out, its that much fun to drive!
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2021, 10:21 AM   #7
bforbrian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

Asked this exact question a while back. See thread here:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1682601
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2021, 02:00 PM   #8
TomCat6065
Gear Head
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X2 M35i, 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoshu View Post
I had an X3 (not M) for a year and ended up wanting to trade up to an X5 initially for the size. It came down to the X3 not having the room for my golf bag (really). After looking at X5s, options and engines, although I didn't want to spend as much as I did, I ended up building the X5 M50i.

I have not had a regret so far, the X5 M50i is far more luxurious, has more muscle, great handling, and the room I wanted. In my 40+ years of driving, it is the first car I've ever made excuses to take out, its that much fun to drive!
Same here. I've had my M50i since November. I still love to walk out to it each morning. Just an awesome ride!
2021 X5 M50i, Carbon Black, Ext Coffee Merino interior, 21" Y Spoke wheels, Matte Poplar woodgrain trim. Adaptive M-Susp, DHP, Exec Package, Park Assist Plus, Driving Assist Pro, Traffic Jam Assist, Heated/Ventilated seats/armrests, Alacantara headliner, Increased speed limiter.
My wife drives a 2020 X2 M35i.
Appreciate 1
Stoshu494.00
      04-06-2021, 02:04 PM   #9
cubanbimmer3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G83, X5 m50i

+1 for x5 m50i (or X5M if you can swing it). Although the X3M is an amazing ride, the X5 just feels way more luxurious inside. The x5 is much more comfortable to drive as well, especially if you're on the taller side like myself. The X3M definitely feels more nimble and can take a corner flatter than the m50i (drives more like a car than an SUV), but the TT v8 just puts a smile on my face every time I hear it.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 02:09 PM   #10
cthomp88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition - BSM

I'll echo what many have already said. I started in an X3 M40i, then X3MC, this March I got into an X5 M50i. My vote would be for a daily drive, do the X5 M50i. If it's an extra car then go with the X3M.

The X3M is an incredible driving machine and handles like no other SUV I've ever driven. I loved throwing it around and be confident it could handle it. However, I got tired of the firm ride and the narrow seat.

The X5 M50i still handles really well for its size (I have the DHP), it's also so much more comfortable. I can still have quite a bit of fun in the car, but also be very comfortable when I want as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 05:51 PM   #11
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

+1 on the M50i
Size matters, if its for the family you will appreciate the space and ride over the X3M
Plus the luxury is well above the X3M