Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikke123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Did you never have steering wheel vibration when someone is in your blind spot or when you cross a line? It should vibrate if you activated it.
Options set are for early warning and steer wheel vibration.

Steering wheel only vibrates when crossing lanes (lane assist) but has never vibrated when a danger is detected (like the red car on dashboard)

Dealer says: that’s normal. Steering wheel does NOT vibrate when danger is detected.

To myself I am thinking: WTF? This would be exactly when I’d expect it to vibrate.

So is the dealer right and is this a poor implementation by BMW? Or should it work like I think and is the car defective?
One thing that could be wrong like mentioned by TurtleBoy is that you are a careful driver and didn't encounter a situation yet that needed an intervention. You would essentially have to start creating dangerous situations to test if it works.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 04:36 AM   #24
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
One thing that could be wrong like mentioned by TurtleBoy is that you are a careful driver and didn't encounter a situation yet that needed an intervention. You would essentially have to start creating dangerous situations to test if it works.
Fair point.

A couple of times less than 5cm from car in front of me after applying myself emergency brake with ACC on but car not doing anything. Simply put: if I would not have braked I'd have crashed.

One time a pedestrian crossing an empty street with no cars parked. I saw him too late - ACC on and distracted (my bad). Car did nothing, I did an emergency stop and we touched but without any injury.

Last edited by ikke123; 06-25-2020 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 05:14 AM   #25
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Fair point.

A couple of times less than 5cm from car in front of me after applying myself emergency brake with ACC on but car not doing anything. Simply put: if I would not have braked I'd have crashed.

One time a pedestrian crossing the street. Saw him too late - ACC on and distracted (my bad). Emergency stop and we touched but without any injury.
Ok. Then I definitely think something is wrong. Contact with BMW Belgium?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 09:56 AM   #26
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
BMW Belgium: dealer needs to fix it.

A few follow-up questions:
1/ What is displayed on screen / console when there is a pedestrian warning?

2/ When the red car icon appears with the sound alert, does anyone have a vibrating steering wheel? Option is set to vibrate but nothing happens
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 10:45 AM   #27
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
BMW Belgium: dealer needs to fix it.

A few follow-up questions:
1/ What is displayed on screen / console when there is a pedestrian warning?

2/ When the red car icon appears with the sound alert, does anyone have a vibrating steering wheel? Option is set to vibrate but nothing happens
The manual states that a red car should appear in the dash but also in your HUD. You wrote that you didn't get this either.

For pedestrian alert it will show a pedestrian in the dash and HUD.

I can't find anything about vibration in the steering wheel. I think this is only for blindspot and lane keeping. So there your dealer is correct. It is not for emergency braking.

For the evacuation manoeuvre: as I understood from the manual it will not do this completely automatically . Once the car senses you are trying to go into a certain direction and it sees it is free it will help you to get there. But you have to initiate going into a certain direction your self. It is supportive not automatic. But automatic braking definitely is automatic even when you don't do anything yourself.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 02:57 AM   #28
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The manual states that a red car should appear in the dash but also in your HUD. You wrote that you didn't get this either.

I can't find anything about vibration in the steering wheel. I think this is only for blindspot and lane keeping. So there your dealer is correct. It is not for emergency braking.

For the evacuation manoeuvre: as I understood from the manual it will not do this completely automatically . Once the car senses you are trying to go into a certain direction and it sees it is free it will help you to get there. But you have to initiate going into a certain direction your self. It is supportive not automatic. But automatic braking definitely is automatic even when you don't do anything yourself.
Thanks. Dealer said that they need to check user manual in German as that one is the only correct version and that dutch or any other language could be a translation error..

The HUD is huge (and logical). I never had the warning show up in my HUD display, only on the main console. As I wrote, I found this stupid because with the hud you are focused at looking outside not the console.

Anyone seen this red card symbol in their HUD? (= user manual correct)

Odd that they’d also use a car symbol for a pedestrian.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 03:22 AM   #29
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks. Dealer said that they need to check user manual in German as that one is the only correct version and that dutch or any other language could be a translation error..

The HUD is huge (and logical). I never had the warning show up in my HUD display, only on the main console. As I wrote, I found this stupid because with the hud you are focused at looking outside not the console.

Anyone seen this red card symbol in their HUD? (= user manual correct)

Odd that they'd also use a car symbol for a pedestrian.
No it is a pedestrian symbol for a pedestrian.

I had the red car in my HUD.

Yeah right we have to check the German manual. That is the biggest bs I ever heard.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 04:05 AM   #30
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Really? Hopefully they can read fluently German then
But it's also the greatest BS I ever heard
What dealer is it?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 08:20 AM   #31
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 35i (F15) '14 M135i (F21)

Quote:
Ask them exactly how the big red symbol with a man in it is different in German than in any other language, what BS!
Appreciate 1
volodp199.50
      06-27-2020, 01:51 AM   #32
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Some German info for your dealer:

Activen Bremseingriff. So active braking if you don't react. Up til 85 km/h for city safety and higher speeds with the ACC radar according to the Dutch manual.

And

Ausweichhilfe understutzung

When reading the Dutch manual a bit more I also saw that the system is more sensitive with less visability (dark / fog?) and when the driver assist camera sees you are not paying attention.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 02:29 PM   #33
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you all for your input. Really appreciate it.

I just got my car back with an update to 03/2020.

Drive a couple of hours today to test it:
- dealer told that normal key needs replacement. Does not explain though why any of my keys (normal & display) have to be regularly put to the steering colum. We’ll see
- red warning symbol still does not show up in HUD
- pedestrians still not being detected
- rain sensor seems no longer to work
- attention camera does still NOT work. I can read a news paper, read my text messages and the car won’t give a blimp. And yes the option is active.

On Monday I’ll have a call whereby they will give me an overview of their findings regarding the self braking.

They did check with BMW HQ. Per their statement it is not possible to test / simulate the security systems to see if they actually work.

BMW sent them a video illustrating what the car can do and can’t do. They will forward it to me.

From what I could read between the lines: your expectations are wrong. The car is not designed to do what I think it should do.

Based on what they said, there are a lot of exclusions where the system does not work. ->hmm ok?

If they’re right, then the user manual is just a bunch of lies and gives wrong expectations to the customer. Or I am wrong?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 03:05 PM   #34
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thank you all for your input. Really appreciate it.

I just got my car back with an update to 03/2020.

Drive a couple of hours today to test it:
- dealer told that normal key needs replacement. Does not explain though why any of my keys (normal & display) have to be regularly put to the steering colum. We’ll see
- red warning symbol still does not show up in HUD
- rain sensor seems no longer to work
- attention camera does still NOT work. I can read a news paper, read my text messages and the car won’t give a blimp. And yes the option is active.

On Monday I’ll have a call whereby they will give me an overview of their findings regarding the self braking.

They did check with BMW HQ. Per their statement it is not possible to test / simulate the security systems to see if they actually work.

BMW sent them a video illustrating what the car can do and can’t do. They will forward it to me.

From what I could read between the lines: your expectations are wrong. The car is not designed to do what I think it should do.

Based on what they said, there are a lot of exclusions where the system does not work. ->hmm ok?

If they’re right, then the user manual is just a bunch of lies and gives wrong expectations to the customer. Or I am wrong?
There are some independent tests on YouTube testing the safety systems. It shows how they work. There are some German test with a 5 series and a big cardboard car until 130 km/h

Just to be clear. If you are driving 120 and you are running into a complete stand still traffic jam it won't come to a complete stop it will reduce the speed of impact.

The evasion is a help. It supports your action but does not initiate.

I have seen the red car in my hud but that was only when I really needed it. I hit the brakes just after the sound and the car braked really hard. Can't say if it was the car adjusted the braking power or if it initiated the braking and I followed.

The test on YouTube shows that the system has more difficulties with not moving objects like mentioned here before.

Reading your comments here I think there is something wrong. Just strange that your ACC does work. Does the lane keeping work? And the right of way and red light notice. I put mine on early.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 03:12 PM   #35
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

I find it very hard to trigger those security systems on purpose. I tried it before and didn't succeed. When I'm not trying I trigger some security system sometimes twice a day
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 03:20 PM   #36
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
I find it very hard to trigger those security systems on purpose. I tried it before and didn't succeed. When I'm not trying I trigger some security system sometimes twice a day
I have the same with triggering. But he must have had some triggering.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 02:46 AM   #37
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
The attention camera ONLY works during traffic jam mode ("Assisted Driving Plus") - i.e. when it auto steers, and the green LEDs on your steering wheel are turned on (and you are no longer required to hold the steering wheel). Then it will sound an alert if you look away for a few seconds. It is not active in all other modes.

It is not easy to trigger the pedestrian warning. I only had it once in the whole year - while I was inching slowly forward in a parking lot, and there was a pedestrian walking towards the car in front. And I did get the red warning symbol in the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 05:37 AM   #38
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Quote:
- attention camera does still NOT work. I can read a news paper, read my text messages and the car won't give a blimp. And yes the option is active.
If they're right, then the user manual is just a bunch of lies and gives wrong expectations to the customer. Or I am wrong?
The attention camera ONLY works during traffic jam mode ("Assisted Driving Plus") - i.e. when it auto steers, and the green LEDs on your steering wheel are turned on (and you are no longer required to hold the steering wheel). Then it will sound an alert if you look away for a few seconds. It is not active in all other modes.

It is not easy to trigger the pedestrian warning. I only had it once in the whole year - while I was inching slowly forward in a parking lot, and there was a pedestrian walking towards the car in front. And I did get the red warning symbol in the HUD.
For me it also works when I am the second in front of a traffic light and I stopped on ACC following the car in front of me. If I am not paying attention and the car in front of me pulls of my car won't move and give a bling. If I am paying attention it will follow the car in front and accelerate. This is not the traffic jam assist because that only works on the highway.

Nb the attention assist camera does not work when wearing infrared blocking sunglasses, and I think most are!

Bottom line. It's difficult to voluntarily induce an action that would cause the system to react because it would be quite an extreme action. Like really waiting to long to brake. Far beyond your comfort zone and even stupid to do IRL with cars surrounding you.

On the other hand I think everyone of us driving with all safety systems on must have had some false or correct reactions from the system after driving it for more than six months. So not having anything seems odd too.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 08:02 AM   #39
kebiN
Private
Rep

I have the x5 45e with all aids. Portugal.

I have never saw pedestrian detection warning, but i dont know if its not working or probably never ran into a dangerous situation.

I saw several times the red car warning (i dont remember about vibration on steering), and never felt the car to intervene, but again maybe not needed because i did brake on time.

Never managed to activate the driver assistance plus, ie never had the green lights always on on the steering wheel. I guess it is due to law limitations in mt country. BMW dealer told me even the automatic lane change should not work due to law restrictions in portugal (but it actually works!)

The car never managed to avoid parked obstacles on the side of the road. It just stops.

I have an email from dealer detailing the driving aids. It states: (my translation): help in evasion: auxiliary function in critical situations when evasion is still possible. Available from 30 to 160km/h. Reacts to vehicles ahed and pedestrians.

Auxiliary suggests the driver must take the primary action.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      06-28-2020, 08:10 AM   #40
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebiN View Post
I have the x5 45e with all aids. Portugal.

I have never saw pedestrian detection warning, but i dont know if its not working or probably never ran into a dangerous situation.

I saw several times the red car warning (i dont remember about vibration on steering), and never felt the car to intervene, but again maybe not needed because i did brake on time.

Never managed to activate the driver assistance plus, ie never had the green lights always on on the steering wheel. I guess it is due to law limitations in mt country. BMW dealer told me even the automatic lane change should not work due to law restrictions in portugal (but it actually works!)

The car never managed to avoid parked obstacles on the side of the road. It just stops.

I have an email from dealer detailing the driving aids. It states: (my translation): help in evasion: auxiliary function in critical situations when evasion is still possible. Available from 30 to 160km/h. Reacts to vehicles ahed and pedestrians.

Auxiliary suggests the driver must take the primary action.
Your observation and dealer are correct I think.

Steering wheel vibration is for lane change and keeping

Driving assistant plus is not available in Belgium too but I think in all of Europe.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 03:36 PM   #41
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post

I drive in ACC mode all the time - (all green). No sun glasses. I can read a news paper and it will not react at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #42
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
I drive in ACC mode all the time - (all green). No sun glasses. I can read a news paper and it will not react at all.
I didn’t think the Assisted Driving Plus (Extended Traffic Jam Assist) mode was available in your country. Are you sure you aren’t referring to mode 2, adaptive cruise with steering/lane control? He is referring to the green LEDs on the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 03:45 PM   #43
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

ACC is on and works since day one with a few hickups (accelerating while red car turns up). All systems are set to early.

The mystery gets getting bigger and bigger

1/ Assisted Driving Plus -> not available in Belgium (?) hence no self action; only assisted action (driver must always initiate action)
2/ Warning displays must be in HUD display regardless of country. Not the case with my car. Setting or something else?
3/ Pedestrian detection is not working based on what others described as having experienced and similar situations I have been in
4/ Driver Attention Camera: it is not working in my car based on experience of others
5/ Right of way: actually didn't know it was there. Are you sure it is there and how does it work? Not even sure how it is supposed to react. I have had to do an evasive maneuver a couple of times where I was on a road and someone was not respecting a stop or give way sign and the car did nothing; no warning no nothing
6/ Red lights: seems only to work when there is a red traffic light on the left of the car; not one on the right hand side

Last edited by ikke123; 06-28-2020 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 03:51 PM   #44
ikke123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I didn’t think the Assisted Driving Plus (Extended Traffic Jam Assist) mode was available in your country. Are you sure you aren’t referring to mode 2, adaptive cruise with steering/lane control? He is referring to the green LEDs on the steering wheel.
What I have is
5AU Driving Assistant Pack Professional
5DN Parking Assistant Pack Plus

(basically the whole innovation pack) and I can theoretically drive hands free by having leg/knee touch steering wheel
Appreciate 0