BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-23-2021, 11:12 AM   #45
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Buy an AirTag and hide it somewhere in the car!

BMW Parts and Accessories

https://pumperformance.com
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 11:16 AM   #46
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumxee View Post
That is what I thought about when I was watching the Apple Event this past Tuesday. Certainly easy enough to hide but have not looked at whether this would work because I believe it needs someone with an Apple device to be near it once its out of range. So would it still work if your car thief only had an Android???
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 02:19 PM   #47
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
That is what I thought about when I was watching the Apple Event this past Tuesday. Certainly easy enough to hide but have not looked at whether this would work because I believe it needs someone with an Apple device to be near it once its out of range. So would it still work if your car thief only had an Android???
How about a “Tile” then?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 02:38 PM   #48
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoshu View Post
How about a “Tile” then?
Naa, works like the AirTag but worse, it requires people have the Tile app on their phone in order to connect to it. My guess is not many do and the likelihood of someone stealing your car and having the tile app on their phone is much less than the likelihood of the thief having an Apple phone.

Both Tile and AirTag use the crowd-finding feature which means once the Tile or AirTag are out of Bluetooth range from you, they require a "Crowd" of people to be within range of it and for people in that crowd to either have the Tile app on their phone for Tile or have an iPhone/iPad for AirTag in order to make a connection and relay that to you.

Both the Tile and AirTag are really designed for tracking/finding somewhat nearby items. Nearby meaning near where ever you are and the range of Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 03:38 PM   #49
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoshu View Post
How about a "Tile" then?
Naa, works like the AirTag but worse, it requires people have the Tile app on their phone in order to connect to it. My guess is not many do and the likelihood of someone stealing your car and having the tile app on their phone is much less than the likelihood of the thief having an Apple phone.

Both Tile and AirTag use the crowd-finding feature which means once the Tile or AirTag are out of Bluetooth range from you, they require a "Crowd" of people to be within range of it and for people in that crowd to either have the Tile app on their phone for Tile or have an iPhone/iPad for AirTag in order to make a connection and relay that to you.

Both the Tile and AirTag are really designed for tracking/finding somewhat nearby items. Nearby meaning near where ever you are and the range of Bluetooth.
Only the best AirTag for my X5 keys
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 04:37 PM   #50
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

AirTags aren't any good for stolen items - the thief will get warned that there is a tag nearby that is not registered to them.

This prevents unwanted tracking/stalking and Apple has said that it's for finding missing items - if your car goes missing, that's a much bigger problem!
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2021, 07:28 AM   #51
Dogmatick
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40D 2021

Just placed my 45e order and my Insurance (Direct Line Select) said all cars over £65K now needed a Thacham S5 approved tracker with user identification. Was going for the BMW Trackstar but the dealer phoned me and said it would just be them fitting it anyway and they don't really want to, please organise a third party to come and fit it and also would be cheaper for the exact same thing

Also to add re the Gap and return to invoice insurances, my dealer snuck them on adding £2700 which I thankfully saw in time. I read around for better quotes and a website pointed out that many good insurances give a replacement brand new car for theft or write off in the first 24 months which after checking mine does as well so was a considerable saving

Last edited by Dogmatick; 05-06-2021 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 10:49 AM   #52
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
AirTags aren't any good for stolen items - the thief will get warned that there is a tag nearby that is not registered to them.

This prevents unwanted tracking/stalking and Apple has said that it's for finding missing items - if your car goes missing, that's a much bigger problem!
Not that its no good, just means there are down side to track a stolen item.
It can still come in handy if; lets say if I was a thief and I didn't have a iPhone, it can still be tracked/located if the AirTag in vicinity of other iPhones.

In the event the thief has an iPhone, it will alert them that its being tracked, hopefully they get spooked and just leave the stolen item. What I've noticed with thief, they are not that bright

Although I'm not using the AirTag for our vehicle, I'm actually using this for our roof cargo box during overnight road trip and couple in items inside of it. for $25 each, its a cheap alternative

Last edited by dream54ing; 05-06-2021 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 09:09 PM   #53
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
That's ok. The thief, if carrying an iphone, would get the warning when he/she got home. So even if the AirTag was disabled at that time, you already got the thief's home address.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 03:09 AM   #54
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

I found LV to be very expensive - quoted me £3500 for insurance on the X5!!
That's with 15 years no claims, and a clean license!
I am in East London though!!!

My renewal came from Tesco for £1350.
Phoned them up and didn't even haggle - they dropped to £999 instantly!! lol

I went with ESure in the end. Same fully comp insurance for £850!

I have Autowatch Ghost installed in my car - although none of the insurers I contacted seemed too bothered by it!! Considering it makes the car pretty much impossible to start without the code, I thought it would have been a big deal to them. Obviously not!

Shop around!!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 09:06 AM   #55
hdahman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5MC

I think BMW with the integrated SIM in the car can track it and find it with great accuracy, when told it was stolen. not sure what the airtag will make any difference at that point?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 09:31 AM   #56
330dMSXD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post

I have Autowatch Ghost installed in my car - although none of the insurers I contacted seemed too bothered by it!! Considering it makes the car pretty much impossible to start without the code, I thought it would have been a big deal to them. Obviously not!

Shop around!!
Living in busy large cities is a killer for car insurance. I live in Birmingham and I dread to think what my insurance premium will be when my X5 finally arrives. I have Full NCB of about 30 years, clean DL with no endorsements and age in my mid 50's.

I have noticed how cheap car insurance is in Scotland, about a third of of the cost of what it is in england!.....Yet in the media recently it was claimed that car insurance policies had reduced by 30% Wishful thinking eh!!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 10:37 AM   #57
Dogmatick
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 40D 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post

Shop around!!
Yes my insurance had a requirement for insurance, the Thacham S5 class tracker, else wouldn't insure. Anything else I add would be for my peace of mind and wouldn't affect the premium

Out of interest did you use a comparison site? Only they all show well north of £2k for me 15 years + NCB clean license off road electric gate parking etc Direct Line who currently insure me said £1750
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 11:22 AM   #58
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatick View Post
Yes my insurance had a requirement for insurance, the Thacham S5 class tracker, else wouldn't insure. Anything else I add would be for my peace of mind and wouldn't affect the premium

Out of interest did you use a comparison site? Only they all show well north of £2k for me 15 years + NCB clean license off road electric gate parking etc Direct Line who currently insure me said £1750
Yes - I checked all the comparison sites. Usually I use CompareTheMarket but this time GoCompare found me the cheapest one.
Don't just try one comparison site - try several!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 06:57 AM   #59
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumxee View Post
https://www.zerohedge.com/technology...ves-steal-cars

https://www.yrp.ca/en/Modules/News/i...0-91e49aee3bff
Appreciate 1
DG-X5168.00