06-17-2023, 02:56 PM   #2597
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Capitalism and Supply and Demand will will always fix the problem better than government. At least this technology most likely will have a retrofit possibility for EV's currently on the market.
"932-mile range and less than 10-minute charging times" This is a sweet spot more folks will find desirable.
I just priced out SS drives for our servers and I found them not to be cost effective so cost may take a good while to be competitive.
I think you've not been reading the right industry media, try Car and Driver or Motor Trend for updates on server solid state drives...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 06-18-2023 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2023, 03:28 PM   #2598
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I think you've not been reading the right industry media, try Car and Driver or Motor Trend for updates on solid server state drives...
??? The point is that solid state drives or solid state batteries are both technologies that are developing and will someday be the norm but today is not the day.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/what-is...ctric-vehicles
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 11:03 AM   #2599
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
??? The point is that solid state drives or solid state batteries are both technologies that are developing and will someday be the norm but today is not the day.

Just pointing out the irony of reading about EV in a personal computer magazine...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2023, 11:50 AM   #2600
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:

Solid state hard drives are becoming the norm. I used to work for a very large tech OEM that's well known to many people. I'm now working at a technology reseller. Any server BOM I've put together is all SS now. None of them have been spinning disks. Pure Storage is making waves in the market for being able to provide solid state drive advantages at spinning disk prices.

And when you talk about solid state drives, you have to be more specific as to the type of drive and the specific duty use. There are different types of NAND flash being used: SLC, TLC, MLC, etc. And SSD drives can be categorized in the use type: write, mixed, or read intensive. Then you get into the bus interface that also has an effect on pricing. SATA, SAS, NVMe, M.2, etc.
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
Efthreeoh17325.50
      06-18-2023, 12:32 PM   #2601
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
This is the way to do it...
Give people a say than impose unilaterally.

https://news.sky.com/story/as-swiss-...hange-12904670
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60267.00
      06-18-2023, 09:10 PM   #2602
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:

Solid state batteries are in use today in consumer products. Not developing. Here today. Scaling it up has challenges, but those are being addressed.
      06-19-2023, 07:52 AM   #2603
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
It's all been vaporware. We've been told solid state is just around the corner for the last 20 years or so. And the article says nothing about cost...
Kind of reminds me of the hype about self driving cars a few years ago. There were posts on this forum saying that we'd all have fully autonomous cars by about now. Boy has that gone quiet.
Appreciate 4
gblansten1976.50
KRS_SN13547.50
M5Rick60267.00
Efthreeoh17325.50
      06-19-2023, 09:50 AM   #2604
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Kind of reminds me of the hype about self driving cars a few years ago. There were posts on this forum saying that we'd all have fully autonomous cars by about now. Boy has that gone quiet.
I like to drive and I didn't sign up/pay for the FSD on my Tesla. The most recent beta versions of FSD look pretty impressive on Youtube. But, still betas. Definitely waiting to see how this turns out on real world full go live version of it.

Liability for FSD for the manufacturer will be a very interesting issue to play out as well.
Appreciate 3
Cos270608.50
Efthreeoh17325.50
      06-19-2023, 10:27 AM   #2605
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I ran across a video with an interview of Navy Seal Shawn Ryan. He had a discussion about how vulnerable our electrical grid is in this country. This spurred me to look into other videos on the topic. Out of the videos I saw, the backlog to manufacture the huge power transformers that run the power substations are a year to a year and a half out. Most of the capacity has been shunted to Ukraine with the ongoing conflicts going on there. No US company manufactures these large transformers so we're entirely dependent on overseas supply which come from South Korea, Germany, and China. From the videos, about 12% of the power capacity of NYC is being supplied by Chinese made transformers and 20% of the power capacity for Vegas.

They went on to talk about cyber attacks and how none of the Chinese sourced transformers are being vetted for backdoors or malicious code with foreign adversaries such as Russia being confirmed to have infiltrated our grid.

What was really alarming is the official recognition by FERC that it would take only 20 substation failures in key locations to collapse the entire grid nationwide. The Wall Street Journal after getting the leaked report places that number to only 9. What's astonishing is there has been 700 physical attacks on power substations in the US. A major one was in Metcalfe, CA where FERC went in to analyze what happened. And with the assistance of former special ops operators trained in taking out infrastructure systems, they came to the conclusion that this physical attack was done by highly trained individuals. They were almost successful in taking out power to all of Silicon Valley. To this day, none of them have been caught and no one knows who sent them.

There's no denying that the US power grid requires significant upgrading outside of the push for more capacity due to increasing demand. It's amazing that with all of the things going on with the state of the geopolitical world we're in that these idiots in office are still pushing for these "green" mandates. Along with the lunacy to shift our critical infrastructures to depend on our biggest adversary being China where we're dependent on them for solar panels, batteries, and the huge power transformers for our substation.
Below are the videos I watched for you to draw your own conclusions.

Shawn Ryan's interview with David Tice who created the documentary "Grid Down Power Up"

The "Grid Down Power Up" documentary:

https://griddownpowerup.com/watch-gdpu/

And the 60 Minutes story on the vulnerability of our national grid system:

Last edited by zx10guy; 06-19-2023 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 3
KRS_SN13547.50
M5Rick60267.00
      06-19-2023, 10:29 AM   #2606
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I ran across a video with an interview of Navy Seal Shawn Ryan. He had a discussion about how vulnerable our electrical grid is in this country. This spurred me to look into other videos on the topic. Out of the videos I saw, the backlog to manufacture the huge power transformers that run the power substations are a year to a year and a half out. Most of the capacity has been shunted to Ukraine with the ongoing conflicts going on there. No US company manufactures these large transformers so we're entirely dependent on overseas supply which come from South Korea, Germany, and China. From the videos, about 12% of the power capacity of NYC is being supplied by Chinese made transformers and 20% of the power capacity for Vegas.

They went on to talk about cyber attacks and how none of the Chinese sourced transformers are being vetted for backdoors or malicious code with foreign adversaries such as Russia being confirmed to have infiltrated our grid.

What was really alarming is the official recognition by FERC that it would take only 20 failed transformers in strategic substations to collapse the entire grid nationwide. The Wall Street Journal after getting the leaked report places that number to only 9. What's astonishing is there has been 700 physical attacks on power substations in the US. A major one was in Metcalfe, CA where FERC went in to analyze what happened. And with the assistance of former special ops operators trained in taking out infrastructure systems, they came to the conclusion that this physical attack was done by highly trained individuals. They were almost successful in taking out power to all of Silicon Valley. To this day, none of them have been caught and no one knows who sent them.

There's no denying that the US power grid requires significant upgrading outside of the push for more capacity due to increasing demand. It's amazing that with all of the things going on with the state of the geopolitical world we're in that these idiots in office are still pushing for these "green" mandates. Along with the lunacy to shift our critical infrastructures to depend on our biggest adversary being China where we're dependent on them for solar panels, batteries, and the huge power transformers for our substation.

Shawn Ryan's interview with David Tice who created the documentary "Grid Down Power Up"

https://griddownpowerup.com/watch-gdpu/

Saw a similar report on transformers. It is a very big deal.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 04:28 AM   #2607
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
This is the way to do it...
Give people a say than impose unilaterally.

https://news.sky.com/story/as-swiss-...hange-12904670
That's all 'fatso' had to do instead of plunging the whole country into worry and chaos.
Appreciate 3
      06-21-2023, 07:31 AM   #2608
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Drink up folks. We're all going to die today.
Right?
Attached Images

TboneS541043.00
      06-21-2023, 07:33 AM   #2609
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

[QUOTE=zx10guy;30233141]I ran across a video with an interview of Navy Seal Shawn Ryan. He had a discussion about how vulnerable our electrical grid is in this country. This spurred me to look into other videos on the topic. Out of the videos I saw, the backlog to manufacture the huge power transformers that run the power substations are a year to a year and a half out. Most of the capacity has been shunted to Ukraine with the ongoing conflicts going on there. No US company manufactures these large transformers so we're entirely dependent on overseas supply which come from South Korea, Germany, and China. From the videos, about 12% of the power capacity of NYC is being supplied by Chinese made transformers and 20% of the power capacity for Vegas.

What was really alarming is the official recognition by FERC that it would take only 20 substation failures in key locations to collapse the entire grid nationwide. The Wall Street Journal after getting the leaked report places that number to only 9. What's astonishing is there has been 700 physical attacks on power substations in the US. A major one was in Metcalfe, CA where FERC went in to analyze what happened. And with the assistance of former special ops operators trained in taking out infrastructure systems, they came to the conclusion that this physical attack was done by highly trained individuals. They were almost successful in taking out power to all of Silicon Valley. To this day, none of them have been caught and no one knows who sent them.

If everyone knew the extent this was true... they'd better understand why there was so much ass kissing to the Chinese President this week... if China were to drop the hammer... we are screwed beyond levels anyone can imagine... and here is the kicker... 30 years of poor policy put us in this position.
      06-21-2023, 07:35 AM   #2610
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Capitalism and Supply and Demand will will always fix the problem better than government. At least this technology most likely will have a retrofit possibility for EV's currently on the market.
"932-mile range and less than 10-minute charging times" This is a sweet spot more folks will find desirable.
I just priced out SS drives for our servers and I found them not to be cost effective so cost may take a good while to be competitive.
EVs wont save the world in a capitalist / consumption environment... even thinking that is clown level analytics... consumption in general would need to slow down drastically to make a difference.
      06-21-2023, 07:55 AM   #2611
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Drink up folks. We're all going to die today.
Right?

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...-police-sweden
Not a bad looking bird actually.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13547.50
      06-21-2023, 08:11 AM   #2612
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

^

If you're into the garden gnome look, I suppose.
Staged arrest 32?

Put your hands in the air like you don't care
      06-21-2023, 10:14 AM   #2613
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Lol...
I have proof
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
M5Rick60267.00
Patton2502939.50
      06-21-2023, 10:25 AM   #2614
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
Lol...
I have proof
Greta-pretty-ballerina...on a nice day I suppose
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13547.50
      06-21-2023, 10:49 AM   #2615
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Hmmmmm.... At least 4 dead in NYC e-bike store fire, officials say.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...-officials-say
Appreciate 3
M5Rick60267.00
KRS_SN13547.50
      06-21-2023, 11:04 AM   #2616
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Hmmmmm.... At least 4 dead in NYC e-bike store fire, officials say.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...-officials-say
Residents killed from burning and exploding bike batteries, I mentioned the dangers of re-charging in a garage or shop that's connected to living quarters in a previous post.
Appreciate 3
KRS_SN13547.50
M4Tejas788.00
      06-21-2023, 12:23 PM   #2617
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]