BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-02-2024, 05:23 AM   #1
helipaddy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

How to use keycard

I have the digital keys on my wife and my phones. I have the physical keys in a drawer at home.
I was wondering what is the right way to use the keycard? What if I am abroad and I want a third party to be able to drive my car - is that what the keycard can be used for?
Please do not respond to tell me it is just another key as I already know that. I'm interested in how it can be made useful otherwise it is a 3rd key I will never use.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 06:00 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by helipaddy View Post
I have the digital keys on my wife and my phones. I have the physical keys in a drawer at home.
I was wondering what is the right way to use the keycard? What if I am abroad and I want a third party to be able to drive my car - is that what the keycard can be used for?
Please do not respond to tell me it is just another key as I already know that. I'm interested in how it can be made useful otherwise it is a 3rd key I will never use.
hate the point this out, but it’s another key, just an NFC version of one. Anyone who has it has access to your vehicle just like any other key. nothing special about it. pretty simple, really

I keep mine in my wallet as backup or for valet use. I’ve also used it in lieu of the fob at amusement parks and the beach (less bulky and waterproof).
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2024, 07:35 AM   #3
Greeney
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez E90 M3

In my Teslas I use it for valet and keep it hidden in the car somewhere for when I need it.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 01:45 PM   #4
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

The keycard was designed to be used in lieu of the keyfob for flexibility and in situations where the physical keyfob might become damaged ... ie going to the beach, pool or minimalist approach to clutter in your pocket.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 06:10 AM   #5
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM/XB7

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by helipaddy View Post
Hide the keycard in your car somewhere in your car for you to use for whatever reason you choose….third party, valet, water activities, emergencies etc. beautiful difference is that car doesn’t detect it in the car unless you place it into phone charger but your physical key and phone the car will detect.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 06:50 AM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWXMBlack View Post
Hide the keycard in your car somewhere in your car for you to use for whatever reason you choose….third party, valet, water activities, emergencies etc. beautiful difference is that car doesn’t detect it in the car unless you place it into phone charger but your physical key and phone the car will detect.
just to clarify, some folks don’t option the wireless charger, but they still have the NFC components in the same tray to utilize the digital key
Appreciate 1
XM Label904.50
      02-06-2024, 08:06 AM   #7
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
just to clarify, some folks don’t option the wireless charger, but they still have the NFC components in the same tray to utilize the digital key

You are correct. Tray area with or without phone charger!
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4653.50
      02-06-2024, 10:04 AM   #8
Brendan///M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Good to know the phone works as a key without being placed on the charging pad, assuming this is made possible with the ultra wideband chip. Do you know if the car will unlock when approaching with just the phone, or do I need to carry the key fob for this feature to work? My car is about a month out, can’t wait to play with this stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 10:10 AM   #9
S2000M5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C

Quote:
My phone is getting detected but the car won't start unless I put the phone in the charge tray

Are you saying that the car can start with the phone outside the tray?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 11:17 AM   #10
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan///M View Post
Good to know the phone works as a key without being placed on the charging pad, assuming this is made possible with the ultra wideband chip. Do you know if the car will unlock when approaching with just the phone, or do I need to carry the key fob for this feature to work? My car is about a month out, can’t wait to play with this stuff.
My 2024 will unlock car and start with it in my pocket.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2024, 11:18 AM   #11
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000M5 View Post
My phone is getting detected but the car won't start unless I put the phone in the charge tray

Are you saying that the car can start with the phone outside the tray?
Yes. In my 2024. Also if I don’t have my phone my Apple Watch will work the same way. Unlock and start car without taking watch off and putting it in tray
Appreciate 2
      02-06-2024, 12:36 PM   #12
Brendan///M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Yes. In my 2024. Also if I don’t have my phone my Apple Watch will work the same way. Unlock and start car without taking watch off and putting it in tray
That is very cool! I assume the “unlock when approaching” does not work with just the phone, and it only unlocks when you touch the handle?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 12:39 PM   #13
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That is very cool! I assume the “unlock when approaching” does not work with just the phone, and it only unlocks when you touch the handle?
the new Digital Key Plus feature using UWB technology in 2024+ models essentially allows your phone to act like the key fob regarding Comfort Access features (unlock when approaching, lock when walking away, etc) if you enabled them in the settings
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2024, 03:37 PM   #14
XM Label
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 XM Label  [0.00]
Quote:
No need to touch. Locks and unlocks with proximity to car
Appreciate 1