10-08-2019, 10:00 AM   #23
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuj452 View Post
For folks who need 7 seater option (like the one I have), there is no choice as air suspension comes standard with 3rd row seat.
Likewise for the 45e, air suspension is always included. Not sure I'm happy about that.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #24
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
We ended up ordering the air suspension because this will be my wife's daily, and she's not really looking for a sporty experience. She's also coming from a 10 year old Lexus RX350, so comfort and smoothness were important to her. That's something that we typically didn't associate with BMW until we test drove the G05.

For my sporting needs, I have an M340i on order
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 12:27 AM   #25
edit
Rep
Drives: 520xd G30

guys,

but in your country, X5 is not coming as standard, doesn't matter wich suspension you are putting in, with air suspension on the back wheels?

so, from my knowledge, also adaptive M suspension have air on the back nd only on the front is having steel springs.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 05:21 AM   #26
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by edit View Post
guys,

but in your country, X5 is not coming as standard, doesn't matter wich suspension you are putting in, with air suspension on the back wheels?

so, from my knowledge, also adaptive M suspension have air on the back nd only on the front is having steel springs.
With the new G05, 2-axle suspensions are either front/rear steel or front/rear air suspension.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:04 AM   #27
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Air suspension was the reason i sold my new X5 only few months after I bought it...ride was floaty and i was feeling sea sick all the time....so I strongly recommend to test drive Air and M prof suspension before placing order.
Now my new M50d with M prof suspension is coming in next 30 days.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 11:30 AM   #28
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda View Post
Air suspension was the reason i sold my new X5 only few months after I bought it...ride was floaty and i was feeling sea sick all the time....so I strongly recommend to test drive Air and M prof suspension before placing order.
I drive an M2C and I found the sport suspension on the X5 terrible. It's neither sporty nor comfy. I ended up with air suspension and it drives great. Some people may not like it but it does firm up nicely, especially in sport and plus modes.

Also I found the steering more precise and taut with air suspension.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 02:41 PM   #29
GaryK4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i Tanzanite

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
What am I missing? I selected M Sport in the configuration. This option includes Adaptive M Suspension. There is an option to add 2 axle air suspension for $150. By selecting the Air option, does that remove Adaptive? It did not warn me of that change.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 02:51 PM   #30
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryK4 View Post
What am I missing? I selected M Sport in the configuration. This option includes Adaptive M Suspension. There is an option to add 2 axle air suspension for $150. By selecting the Air option, does that remove Adaptive? It did not warn me of that change.
No, you cant have both the M adaptive suspension and the air suspension, you have to pick one or the other. If you get the M sport package, and select the air suspension package, then you get all the cosmetic M sport package changes along with the air suspension. And the only way to get Integral Active Steering is to get the air suspension; you cant get that with the standard suspension or the M adaptive suspension. the air suspension does, however, come with an 'adaptive' mode, which many of us who have it, really like it. It drives in comfort most of the time unless you step on it, then it gives you a nice sporty feel. It also pre adapts to the road surface if you are driving somewhere with the navigation system to give you route guidance. The adaptive suspension obviously has both of those things, but the ride is firmer than the Air, and no IAS.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 07:57 AM   #31
GaryK4
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
No, you cant have both the M adaptive suspension and the air suspension, you have to pick one or the other. If you get the M sport package, and select the air suspension package, then you get all the cosmetic M sport package changes along with the air suspension. And the only way to get Integral Active Steering is to get the air suspension; you cant get that with the standard suspension or the M adaptive suspension. the air suspension does, however, come with an 'adaptive' mode, which many of us who have it, really like it. It drives in comfort most of the time unless you step on it, then it gives you a nice sporty feel. It also pre adapts to the road surface if you are driving somewhere with the navigation system to give you route guidance. The adaptive suspension obviously has both of those things, but the ride is firmer than the Air, and no IAS.
Let me make sure that I understand. I selected the M sport package for the cosmetic changes. I test drove the xLine with air suspension and liked it. With only these options, will the ride be the same as my test drive? I don't know about adding the IAS. I don't think it will help in my area and some others said it was "jittery" at highway speeds. I assume that if I select IAS it will not have and ride comfort affects, just steering, correct?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 08:30 AM   #32
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Let me make sure that I understand. I selected the M sport package for the cosmetic changes. I test drove the xLine with air suspension and liked it. With only these options, will the ride be the same as my test drive? I don't know about adding the IAS. I don't think it will help in my area and some others said it was "jittery" at highway speeds. I assume that if I select IAS it will not have and ride comfort affects, just steering, correct?
You'll have Adaptive M Suspension, which will be firmer than your test drive - i.e., when you hit a bump, it will transmit more directly to the bottom of your seat. You also won't have IAS. This will provide a "sportier" drive, which some prefer - although I've never seen a precise definition of what that means exactly, in a car with the same steering, same engine and same power train. I have air suspension and IAS, and I prefer that in an SUV. I had it in my Q7. It makes a big, ungainly truck handle more like a comfortable sedan. Different strokes.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 11:04 AM   #33
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Air suspension for sure, and this is coming from a M2C driver.

The sport ride is weird because all it does is makes the ride harsh and handling is marginally better and I can't quantify or tell that. For an SUV, unless you go all out and get a X5 M, I think it's better to stick to comfort. But everyone is different, some people want a harsher ride but it is no where sporty in my opinion.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 11:19 AM   #34
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda View Post
Im with Deda on this one. Air -too floaty. Unless you tow go with m adaptive suspension. It has very distinct difference between comfort and sport. Handing and turn in improve noticeably in sport Car lowers and dow not understeer as badly. Its still a 6000 lb suv loaded with passengers. So its not going to corner like m2
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 01:31 PM   #35
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
Quote:
I would like to add that also you can go for M proffesional suspension..its based on M adaptive suspension with added active roll stabilisation and with stiffer suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 10:18 PM   #36
PhilH930
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:
I may be misinterpreting this or applying to the wrong model, but I don't believe the IAS comment is accurate.

I have an M50i or order which includes M sports suspension. To this, I added the dynamic handling package ZHD, which includes adaptive M suspension pro, active roll stabilization and IAS. In this combo M sports suspension is available with IAS, unless you meant you also need the pro version (but I do recall seeing IAS as a stand-alone option if I did not add ZDH).
      02-29-2020, 07:40 AM   #37
GaryK4
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Guys, I think you misunderstood my question.
Quote:
I want the Air suspension option and the M sport package for the cosmetic changes only. Does this selection change how the car rides?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 08:06 AM   #38
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Here is a good read about air suspension. bmw knowingly did not put it in x5M. Car handles better with regular suspension but ride suffers

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/40137...on-comparison/
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 09:20 AM   #39
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilH930 View Post
I may be misinterpreting this or applying to the wrong model, but I don't believe the IAS comment is accurate.

I have an M50i or order which includes M sports suspension. To this, I added the dynamic handling package ZHD, which includes adaptive M suspension pro, active roll stabilization and IAS. In this combo M sports suspension is available with IAS, unless you meant you also need the pro version (but I do recall seeing IAS as a stand-alone option if I did not add ZDH).
You are correct on the M, and it can be added as a separate option on the 40i/50i, but if you select it, it removes the Adaptive M and replaces it with air suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 10:07 AM   #40
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Guys, I think you misunderstood my question.

I want the Air suspension option and the M sport package for the cosmetic changes only. Does this selection change how the car rides?
if you get the M sport + air suspension, it'll ride just like it did at the model you test drove at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 10:24 AM   #41
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:

That is what I have on my F15 X5 - M Adaptive + DHP. I find this to be the best handling suspension. Comfortable on the road and yet handles well in curves. It might be the Active Rollbars that make the biggest difference with DHP. It is probably my favorite option on my X5.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 10:49 AM   #42
Chapel Hill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffrey View Post
Quote:

That is what I have on my F15 X5 - M Adaptive + DHP. I find this to be the best handling suspension. Comfortable on the road and yet handles well in curves. It might be the Active Rollbars that make the biggest difference with DHP. It is probably my favorite option on my X5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffrey View Post
Quote:

How is DHP vs the standard X5 suspension in terms of comfort over rough roads?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 11:51 AM   #43
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill View Post
How is DHP vs the standard X5 suspension in terms of comfort over rough roads?
Comparison graph
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 01:00 PM   #44
Chapel Hill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Comparison graph
Thanks Auricom. I wonder if I am reading this simple chart correctly.

1. If known, who produced the chart?

2. Am I correct in understanding that the 45-degree dotted line is not meaningful? As you move up vertically, comfort increases. As you move right horizontally, sportiness increases. Therefore a 45-degree line carries no real meaning - to me at least.

3. I read the chart as (1) the standard M-sport suspension is more comfortable than the standard X5 base suspension. Correct?

4. I read the chart as the DHP set up is far sportier than the standard M-sport suspension with the exact same level of comfort. Correct?
Appreciate 0