BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #1
Private
England
Rep
Drives: F33 435i

UK Insurance

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has any problems with getting their 50d insured in the UK.

Just spoke to my insurance, as the vehicle is coming out at over 100k they are able to insure it as their policies only cover up to 75k

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 04:18 PM   #2
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Try go compare or confused.com
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 04:30 PM   #3
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Got my 30d insured, but it wasn't cheap, something like £1200. I got 3 points tho (grrr). My car was JUST under £75k tho.
      10-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #4
Private
England
Rep
Drives: F33 435i

Who was that with, I'm currently with AxA and they suggested I try another insurer
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 04:55 PM   #5
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I'm with Privilege Insurance -- they've been OK really, I also got the Z3 there, and it had a big repair bill earlier in the year (which invalidated my no claims :/ it wasn't even my fault) and they were spot on, regardless.
      10-09-2019, 05:16 PM   #6
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

It's hard to compare as there are so many factors but I'm paying £550 for a 74k 3.0d msport, 15k miles per year, protected ncb, and full business cover for the missus and myself.

That's with LV.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 06:05 PM   #7
BMPHIL
Major
Rep

I pay £278 for a merc GLE premium plus fully loaded £74000, full no claims, protected no claims and wife on policy. The merc is group 48, 4.0 BMW X5 is group 46 and 3.0d group 45, this is with autonet through go compare. You guys need to shop around.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 02:52 AM   #8
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post
I pay £278 for a merc GLE premium plus fully loaded £74000, full no claims, protected no claims and wife on policy. The merc is group 48, 4.0 BMW X5 is group 46 and 3.0d group 45, this is with autonet through go compare. You guys need to shop around.
How many miles per year, what excess and does that include full business usage?

Might have a look at them next time around
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 03:18 AM   #9
BMPHIL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
How many miles per year, what excess and does that include full business usage?

Might have a look at them next time around
£450 excess, 7000 miles per year, no business use . If you go directly to autonet you won't get the best price.I change my insurance nearly every year by using go compare or confused.com. I persuaded a friend to check the sites a couple of years ago, he uses his car for business, 17000 miles a year, he saved nearly £800 on the quote he had from the insurance company he had used for years.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 03:53 AM   #10
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Try BMW Insurance, I was shocked but they came in the cheapest for me at £1200. Got the 7 day drive away thing and they sent me a quote. I honestly expected it to be in the region of £4/5k with them.

My old G30 520d was £600 to insure annually. I expected the hike nonetheless. Can was just shy of £70k iirc.

My broker refused to even touch it, said that they are nicked too often. Closest was AXA at £1400. Biggest factor for me is the fact that I'm in London and my age. Apparently people under 30 don't tend to get buy X5's according to most insurers and I'm 27
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 04:40 AM   #11
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
£450 excess, 7000 miles per year, no business use . If you go directly to autonet you won't get the best price.I change my insurance nearly every year by using go compare or confused.com. I persuaded a friend to check the sites a couple of years ago, he uses his car for business, 17000 miles a year, he saved nearly £800 on the quote he had from the insurance company he had used for years.
Ta

I'm going onto gocompare to do a dummy booking. Had a look at the autonet website but it wanted war and peace before giving a quote so gave up. Looks like they are just brokers for LV etc which is good.

Let's see how they compare with LV like for like

Edit: Didn't work for me. Cheapest was £730 with someone called Brightside. Bizarrely LV came back as £761. Autonet £895.75 with a total excess of £1000.

Insurance quotes are so subjective.

Last edited by archivedaccount; 10-11-2019 at 04:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 08:01 AM   #12
BMPHIL
Major
Rep

Just been on go compare and received quotes below for X5 3.0D M sport, £75000
8000 miles and £250 voluntary excess, fuully comp protected no claims, wife on policy.
Attached Images

Last edited by BMPHIL; 10-11-2019 at 08:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 08:34 AM   #13
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Quote:
8000 miles and £250 voluntary excess, fuully comp protected no claims, wife on policy.
Wow, do you mind me asking how old you are what part of the country you are based in?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #14
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Like I said at the outset, there is no real point comparing quotes as they are so individual, as proven with our examples.

You are asking for half the mileage
No business usage
Different location, even the specific street can make a huge difference
Your age
Other insurance record
Do you have a tracker?
Size of excess
Driving record
Length of time licence held

In fact about the only thing that is comparable is the car and the fact we both have full NCB

For me gocompare AND your broker are more expensive, which is normal market conditions. The key, as you have done, is to find the best insurer for your specific circumstance. The only way to do that is trial and error.

I don't just go for the cheapest. I start by looking at who has the best ratings - defaqto, which magazine, trustpilot etc. If I do have to claim I dont want to be waiting months for a reduced payout, if they agree to pay out at all. With a decent shortlist I then get quotes and see if quidco/topcashback offer any discounts.

Reality is I may need to move into your house and steal your identity to get anywhere near that quote, no matter who Im insured by
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #15
G Whizz UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 30dMSport

I always look at Moneysavingsexpert. They regularly compare the comparison websites, and suggest an order to check. I think most people don't seem to be aware that most comparison websites are owned by the insurance companies - Go Compare is owned by eSure, Confused.com by Admiral, etc
Timing is also key. c20 days before renewal is usually best.

As eaglesrest says, comparing quotes between us lies the way of madness. For madness though...My last quote for 10k per year, £450 voluntary xs on a reasonably spec'd 30D for two people is around £520. Approximately £100 more than my (much cheaper) G30 20D.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #16
BMPHIL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Like I said at the outset, there is no real point comparing quotes as they are so individual, as proven with our examples.

You are asking for half the mileage
No business usage
Different location, even the specific street can make a huge difference
Your age
Other insurance record
Do you have a tracker?
Size of excess
Driving record
Length of time licence held

In fact about the only thing that is comparable is the car and the fact we both have full NCB

For me gocompare AND your broker are more expensive, which is normal market conditions. The key, as you have done, is to find the best insurer for your specific circumstance. The only way to do that is trial and error.

I don't just go for the cheapest. I start by looking at who has the best ratings - defaqto, which magazine, trustpilot etc. If I do have to claim I dont want to be waiting months for a reduced payout, if they agree to pay out at all. With a decent shortlist I then get quotes and see if quidco/topcashback offer any discounts.

Reality is I may need to move into your house and steal your identity to get anywhere near that quote, no matter who Im insured by
Doesn't seem any point in trying to help with replies like this. I was just trying to point out that going to the comparison companies gives the best quotes. We are all aware that it is all specific to where you live and driving record. I have insured through many companies, RAC, Admiral etc, the statement "if they pay out at all" is ridiculous, all insurance companies are licenced and I don't always go for the cheapest.
Sometimes you can't fathom the prices, I had a discovery sport diesel190 HP, I changed to a GLC43 367HP and my insurance was £30 cheaper, the GLC cost £7000 more than the discovery sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 11:30 AM   #17
zacklee
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 F15 UK

I use AXA, Covera, also quote from BMW insurance.
They are all similar price.
Cost about £1800-£2000 in London.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 03:00 PM   #18
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Doesn't seem any point in trying to help with replies like this. I was just trying to point out that going to the comparison companies gives the best quotes. We are all aware that it is all specific to where you live and driving record. I have insured through many companies, RAC, Admiral etc, the statement "if they pay out at all" is ridiculous, all insurance companies are licenced and I don't always go for the cheapest.
Sometimes you can't fathom the prices, I had a discovery sport diesel190 HP, I changed to a GLC43 367HP and my insurance was £30 cheaper, the GLC cost £7000 more than the discovery sport.
Why do you have an issue with my reply? I tried what you suggested and it wasn't cheaper? In fact by using a comparison site it was £200 more expensive than going direct for some reason.

I wasn't trying to disprove you, just reporting the facts. If it had been cheaper I would have reported as such, and sent you a virtual pint.

Of course less reputable insurance companies will avoid paying out. It's not ridiculous at all. There are horror stories all over the internet, consumer magazines, watchdog. Its not just car insurance companies that will make claiming impossible, or dig out an undisclosed but irrelevant undeclared precondition. I've had my own personal experience of claiming on car insurance which was a nightmare. Similar for 3rd party car warranty claims.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 03:17 PM   #19
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
That is one of the reason I picked my 'more expensive' insurance company to insure the X5... in February they coughed up £3k cash for me to repair my Z3 after it was technically marked as "write off", that without marking it at Cat C. The guys were really helpful -- real people --

With the 3K, I got the little car fully repaired and resprayed. Thanks crunchy!
      10-11-2019, 03:31 PM   #20
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Oh man memories. I had the exact same colour combination Z3.

That looks in the same nick as mine was back in 2000, it looks mint!

Mega back-end happy but what a blast
Appreciate 1
buze132.00
      10-11-2019, 03:51 PM   #21
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh man memories. I had the exact same colour combination Z3.

That looks in the same nick as mine was back in 2000, it looks mint!

Mega back-end happy but what a blast
Well it's a bit of a 'project car' so I keep it tidy. Redid the suspensions, all the braking, upgraded the front discs to 300mm, redid the front, the water pump, thermostat, engine mounts and countless other little bits :-)

And yes it's fun to drive, it's a NOTCH slower than my X5 30d but well, with the top down and halfway nearer the tarmac, it heaps of fun :-)
      10-11-2019, 03:55 PM   #22
BMPHIL
Major
Rep

Quote:
Why do you have an issue with my reply? I tried what you suggested and it wasn't cheaper? In fact by using a comparison site it was £200 more expensive than going direct for some reason.

I wasn't trying to disprove you, just reporting the facts. If it had been cheaper I would have reported as such, and sent you a virtual pint.

Of course less reputable insurance companies will avoid paying out. It's not ridiculous at all. There are horror stories all over the internet, consumer magazines, watchdog. Its not just car insurance companies that will make claiming impossible, or dig out an undisclosed but irrelevant undeclared precondition. I've had my own personal experience of claiming on car insurance which was a nightmare. Similar for 3rd party car warranty claims.
Apologies, I must have read your post incorrectly.

I still don't understand the amount some UK owners are having to pay, it is ridiculous.
Appreciate 1