BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-23-2020, 09:36 AM   #1
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

Experience with Windshield repair services like Safelite

Anyone who had experience with companies such as Safelite or J&N Phillips auto glass to repair or replace glass?

Short of it is my wife’s ‘13 Volvo XC90 has a windshield crack that got worse (now it’s about a foot long) and looks like it needs a new one. Do these companies let you choose to have a factory glass (Pilkington like BMWs) or do they just put in whatever is closest to OEM? I prefer a factory one but I just don’t know what to expect. My insurance is comprehensive and will cover at no charge.

Thanks for any input in this.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 10:20 AM   #2
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

Obviously this is a sample size of only 1 but I had my door glass (in an E46) replaced by Safelite and the window they used was the same brand as factory, just without the BMW logo on it. I'm sure you can call and ask what brand they would use.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 11:17 AM   #3
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

I had Safelite replace the windshield in my Focus RS with OEM glass. They had several options, but insurance agreed to pay for OEM so that's what I went with.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 11:19 AM   #4
Matt@EuroJerks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Jeep Cherokee

Same as above for my Merc. Same manufacturer. Just didn't have the "signature" on the bottom passenger side of the glass.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 11:24 AM   #5
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Insist on OEM. Just had a windshield put in the MB and in the wife’s X3 six months ago. I needed to confirm with three parties that OEM glass would be used: State Farm (insurer), Link (third party claims processor), and the third party installer. Local dealers here “don’t do glass”. It’s becoming a sham because of thin modern windshields and increased frequency of breakage. Thinner glass is driven by cost and weight reductions to achieve fuel economy and emissions regulations.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 12:11 PM   #6
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

A buddy of mine just had his F10 M5 windshield replaced by who ever the local dealer uses. He insisted on OE glass, what he got was a windshield with the BMW logo, but it also had Pilkington on it. The original windshield does not have the Pilkington brand logo.

Some time ago when I was shopping a replacement windshield for an 05 Suburban, research said Pilkington was the best quality choice. So, every shop I called I asked for a quote using Pilkington glass. They all scoffed and tried to talk me in a different direction, but in the end said they'd do it, it would just take about a week longer for them to order it in.

Many years ago, when I worked at a shop, we subbed out many windshield replacements. Safelite was always the worst as far as glass quality and install quality went. The glass was crappy and scratched and chipped easily. They also often leaked or weren't set correctly inducing wind noise and poor aesthetics...yet, they were the most expensive.

It pretty much turned me off to Safelite in general.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 12:33 PM   #7
The Outrage
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I've had issues with the optical quality of Safelite windshields. In a few cases, I've had more distortion than I did with the original glass, typically in one area of the windshield. I would only use the Safelite glass on a lower value vehicle, otherwise, I would try to obtain OEM glass.

Parts aside, I've never had any issues with their installation process.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 12:40 PM   #8
arashir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

You want to know the manufacturer of your OEM glass (it won't ever be bmw) and insist on that same manufacturer, regardless of what company you have replace your windshield. For example if your windshield was manufactured by Pilkington, then insist on that and don't let them give you a cheaper FY (Fuyao) windshield. If you don't know exactly what manufacturer made the glass you are getting, you are risking them pulling a fast one on you.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #9
polychromatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E44, E61, E07

I’ll chime in here echoing what others have said. Get OEM.

However if you getting a repair, I’ve had Safelite do one recently, and they did a great job and he used a pretty sophisticated machine that flushed, vacuumed, and applied the sealant. Can’t see the repair. Also, he mentioned to always carry a little bit of clear packaging tape. As soon as you hear a rock hit, get out and inspect, and if you find one put that tape over it to keep road debris out. Make the chip easier to clean out and repair, and more invisible.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 02:43 PM   #10
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by $iriu$black View Post
Anyone who had experience with companies such as Safelite or J&N Phillips auto glass to repair or replace glass?

Short of it is my wife’s ‘13 Volvo XC90 has a windshield crack that got worse (now it’s about a foot long) and looks like it needs a new one. Do these companies let you choose to have a factory glass (Pilkington like BMWs) or do they just put in whatever is closest to OEM? I prefer a factory one but I just don’t know what to expect. My insurance is comprehensive and will cover at no charge.

Thanks for any input in this.
I work for Safelite and can answer some of these questions.

We absolutely have access to OEM logoed windshields. Nearly all of our windshields are sourced from tier 1 suppliers, in most cases the same manufacturer as those the OEM uses. What your particular insurance company will authorize is specific to them, however you can certainly request OEM for them to approve. I personally would use our non-logoed glass and be fine with it but understand why many want the logo.

We also have the capability to re-calibrate the forward facing camera as many manufacturers require this step. In fact we complete over 450k re-calibrations last year, more than anyone else.

All of our work is backed by a lifetime guarantee and in most cases can be done at your location with exception to certain re-calibration types which have to be done in shop.

FWIW, my wife's Audi TTS has a non-logoed windshield and no issues at all. Can say 100%, but I believe it was either Pilkington or Fuyao. The latter is a supplier to BMW and the factory is here in Ohio.

You can call your insurer directly, if you like and request Safelite or call us (or website) and we can handle the claim for you. Happy to help so PM me if you like.
Appreciate 4
HazChem262.00
Red Bread4462.00
GenXer1349.00
      01-23-2020, 03:00 PM   #11
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

I had Safelite replace the windshield of my 2014 Mustang GT. I took a high velocity rock at the track, and the crack walked it's way across. They did a good job. I couldn't tell the difference from new.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 06:05 PM   #12
HazChem
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BSM M2C

Garage List
I had SafeLite replace the windshield on my M2C with OE glass. Excellent work and no complaints at all. Was hesitant to go with OE instead of OEM but I have no regrets at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 06:23 PM   #13
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazChem View Post
I had SafeLite replace the windshield on my M2C with OE glass. Excellent work and no complaints at all. Was hesitant to go with OE instead of OEM but I have no regrets at all.
Do you have a HUD?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 06:26 PM   #14
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

J&N Phillips went to bat for me and forced my insurance (no deducible glass) to replace with OE glass with BMW logo from the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 06:32 PM   #15
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I just had a chip filled by Safelite this week. Can't tell if was there now. They've replaced the windshields on a couple of my cars with OE and I've never had an issue with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 09:55 PM   #16
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazChem View Post
HazChem I believe I helped you with yours, right?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 02:14 AM   #17
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

On my f30 I had to replace one windshield with them and get a crack fixed on the second one.

They replaced my windshield while i was at work in the parking lot. I asked for OEM but they told me it was that chinese company that supplies to bmw anyway so i went with it. There was alot of glue residue leftover around the perimeter of the glass. some on my A-pillar. The new glass had a 'ghosting' effect as well when looking at tail lights and other lights.

when i got my second chip they filled it no problem and you couldn't even tell it was there.

my advice would be to argue and yell at your insurance until they say ok to letting the bmw dealer do it with original bmw glass.

edit: here is a pic of what i mean by ghosting

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 09:05 AM   #18
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
On my f30 I had to replace one windshield with them and get a crack fixed on the second one.

They replaced my windshield while i was at work in the parking lot. I asked for OEM but they told me it was that chinese company that supplies to bmw anyway so i went with it. There was alot of glue residue leftover around the perimeter of the glass. some on my A-pillar. The new glass had a 'ghosting' effect as well when looking at tail lights and other lights.

when i got my second chip they filled it no problem and you couldn't even tell it was there.

my advice would be to argue and yell at your insurance until they say ok to letting the bmw dealer do it with original bmw glass.

edit: here is a pic of what i mean by ghosting
I had an F30, and I had to replace the windshield before selling it back to BMW, and the glass was NOT chinese. You were lied to.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 02:41 PM   #19
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

AFAIK, BMW glass is Pilkington.

Had it done a few times on the 1er, no problems.
      01-24-2020, 03:36 PM   #20
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

Thanks to all who responded. I really appreciate it. I will give Safelite a call and push for factory glass (Volvo uses Pilkington as well) as I will not settle for anything less on the wife’s car.

So basically when I call them just say right away that I want factory glass right?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 03:47 PM   #21
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I had an F30, and I had to replace the windshield before selling it back to BMW, and the glass was NOT chinese. You were lied to.
Yeah, the windshield is Pilkington (not China) and the side windows is Fuyao (China). I dont trust ppl out there anymore, they are just out to make a bigger profit, there's no moral anymore.

When Fuyao (or any other company) produces for BMW, they have to meet the quality standard for BMW. But when it's their own private label, it's whatever quality standard they want to meet or lack of.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 04:16 PM   #22
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
When Fuyao (or any other company) produces for BMW, they have to meet the quality standard for BMW. But when it's their own private label, it's whatever quality standard they want to meet or lack of.
There's probably some truth to this. Pilkington that also includes the BMW logo could likely be different quality then Pilkington that does not. However, I believe Pilkington is a good quality glass manufacturer, overall.
Appreciate 0