Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW iX 40 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
You definitely can't do Remote Start, that's more advanced because it needs your local Connected Drive system in the UK to support it via your Connected Drive App on your phone. For us in Australia, this is not available (yet...).
That's not the full story for Remote Start.

You can't use bimmercode due to a lack of ECU support on some of the modules that need coding, but it is possible to code Remote Start using esys.

The main issue is the need for an FSC code which can only be obtained via the BMW network. There are 3rd parties that are able to acquire these codes but the car needs to be technically ready for it. Unfortunately, based on mine and others experiences, the diesel G05's don't seem to support 1CR and associated FSC.

The system doesn't depend entirely on CD app support. I've been able to trigger the Remote Start process in the UK using the CD app, keyfob, display key, and even my apple watch. It doesn't start the engine though - it generates an error in idrive and flashes the blinkers 3 times, clicks and whirs like its about to start the engine but fails at the last second.

Those with a petrol G05 and access to the FSC should be able to retrofit remote start in any region.
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 08:11 PM   #46
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshD View Post
Thank you! Yes in the UK. I've got the 30d - got various options including the full camera view.

Keen to get the adaptive mode by default and the assisted driving view. Shame I can't get remote start.

I have got the Mx adapter but not the Mx+ so wondering g if that would do the job. Also will be getting bimmercode on iOS.
MX should work, I used to have one, but replaced it with an MX+ version because that is what the folk at Bimmercode recommend.
The worst that can happen is you just wont have visibility of all the ECUs.

To enable Sports Plus driving mode, using “Expert mode” in the BDC ECU make two changes in the 3221 PfFesMaster module:
- FesPiaDefaultSportWorldMode: change to 0x02 (SportExpert, aka Sports Plus)
- FesSportWorldMode1: change to 0x02 (SportExpert, aka Sports Plus)

After this change, when you toggle the Sports Driving mode button you will be able to cycle through three (x3) options: Sports Plus, Sports, and Sports Individual.
Appreciate 1
AshD98.50
      03-08-2020, 08:18 PM   #47
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
That's not the full story for Remote Start.

You can't use bimmercode due to a lack of ECU support on some of the modules that need coding, but it is possible to code Remote Start using esys.

The main issue is the need for an FSC code which can only be obtained via the BMW network. There are 3rd parties that are able to acquire these codes but the car needs to be technically ready for it. Unfortunately, based on mine and others experiences, the diesel G05's don't seem to support 1CR and associated FSC.

The system doesn't depend entirely on CD app support. I've been able to trigger the Remote Start process in the UK using the CD app, keyfob, display key, and even my apple watch. It doesn't start the engine though - it generates an error in idrive and flashes the blinkers 3 times, clicks and whirs like its about to start the engine but fails at the last second.

Those with a petrol G05 and access to the FSC should be able to retrofit remote start in any region.
I understand you can do a lot more with esys, but for me I've configured everything I need (want) for the moment.

Unfortunately I dont have the time needed to setup esys, at least for the moment

All our cars are capable of Remote Start, and my Service Manager assured me some time back that BMW will likely roll it out to everyone eventually with a general S/W upgrade. It will probably be offered as a paid subscription service like Drive Recorder.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 03:04 AM   #48
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
All our cars are capable of Remote Start, and my Service Manager assured me some time back that BMW will likely roll it out to everyone eventually with a general S/W upgrade. It will probably be offered as a paid subscription service like Drive Recorder.
The method for retro-fitting Remote Start has been established in the Canadian market.

It requires a dealer visit to add 1CR to the car's FA, VO Coding and adding the FSC. More details including a link the retro-fit bulletin here: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=112

I'm not aware of anyone with a diesel G05 that has remote start? Anyone got it? I know petrol owners are able to make space for the FSC in esys, but diesel owners cannot, including me
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 10:58 PM   #49
Wtfitzvi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtfitzvi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Quote:
The other profile is set up for her. It's linked to the connected drive app so it pulls the info from there.

I'm going to try and code the guest profile when my new reader and cable comes in. I'll plug the reader in first to see if the m start up and VIM is active before I code. If it's not active then the coding must be linked to specific profiles.
Why not create a profile for yourself?
Because it's my profile lol. She's using my connected drive profile. She's doesn't want to make her own log in for the app so she uses mine and it displays all of our cars with my log in.
The coding for ViM should apply to the car, but you might need to deactivate the speedlock again for the additional profile using the speedlock hidden menu?
So I should code the guest profile also?

My enet cable and adapter came in today and I tried to code the G06 and I kept getting an error message saying it can't connect to the vehicle.

Tried the cable on the F15 and F80 and I still got the same message. Maybe I received a defective unit? I tried my old vgate wifi adapter and it connected immediately in the F15.

I will attach a picture of the cable and adapter I'm using. I bought it on amazon through the bimmercode suggested adapters link. Since my vgate WiFi is no longer "recommended"
Attached Images

03-10-2020, 03:35 AM   #50
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

My enet cable and adapter came in today and I tried to code the G06 and I kept getting an error message.

Tried the cable on the F15 and F80 and I still got the same message. Maybe I received a defective unit? I tried my old vgate wifi adapter and it connected immediately in the F15.

I will attach a picture of the cable and adapter I'm using. I bought it on amazon through the bimmercode suggested adapters link. Since my vgate WiFi is no longer "recommended"
No. There is a sequence of idrive controller movements to perform to activate the speedlock menu and then enable ViM. I'm saying you 'might' need to do that for each profile.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:00 AM   #51
Wtfitzvi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

My enet cable and adapter came in today and I tried to code the G06 and I kept getting an error message.

No. There is a sequence of idrive controller movements to perform to activate the speedlock menu and then enable ViM. I'm saying you 'might' need to do that for each profile.
Bmw "genius" called this morning to ask if we had any questions. I explained to him the VIM doesn't work in the guest profile. He said they're aware of this problem and each profile even the guest needs to be coded.

He said this is new starting in the G series vehicles. I just assumed the coding programs the ECU like previous cars.

I will give it another show when my new reader comes in since the one I ordered if defective.
      03-10-2020, 09:37 AM   #52
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Bmw "genius" called this morning to ask if we had any questions. I explained to him the VIM doesn't work in the guest profile. He said they're aware of this problem and each profile even the guest needs to be coded.

He said this is new starting in the G series vehicles. I just assumed the coding programs the ECU like previous cars.

I will give it another show when my new reader comes in since the one I ordered if defective.
That's interesting. I wonder if it's unique to VIM. I just checked my wife's profile using her FOB and all my coding that I did under my profile has also taken on her profile.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:43 AM   #53
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Erm what?

Coding is not allowed by BMW and they certainly wouldn't provide support in activating Video in Motion, which is illegal in most countries, via coding. I suspect they misunderstood you

You may be misunderstanding me.

You code the ECU(s) as normal, like any other coding. Once coded ViM is not yet active. You then have to press the idrive controller and Menu buttons together in sequence to activate the hidden Speedlock menu for ViM. Then you can deactivate speedlock and Video will work when driven.

The extra step is to run through the idrive sequence when logged in as a different profile user in case the ViM menu needs to be set for each profile.

It is not possible to code a profile. The concept does not exist. Forget about it. The only possible coding changes for profiles are in the PIA codes, but ViM is not one of those, and the coding process for those PIA codes is exactly the same as all coding for all models of BMW past and present.

If you've already coded ViM, then you just need to do the idrive sequence to bring up the hidden menu while logged in as the target profile. You don't need to wait until your cable arrives unless you backed the ViM changes out at some point. It might not work, just a suggestion

Last edited by ifr; 03-10-2020 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 12:06 AM   #54
Wtfitzvi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Erm what?

Coding is not allowed by BMW and they certainly wouldn't provide support in activating Video in Motion, which is illegal in most countries, via coding. I suspect they misunderstood you

You may be misunderstanding me.

You code the ECU(s) as normal, like any other coding. Once coded ViM is not yet active. You then have to press the idrive controller and Menu buttons together in sequence to activate the hidden Speedlock menu for ViM. Then you can deactivate speedlock and Video will work when driven.

The extra step is to run through the idrive sequence when logged in as a different profile user in case the ViM menu needs to be set for each profile.

It is not possible to code a profile. The concept does not exist. Forget about it. The only possible coding changes for profiles are in the PIA codes, but ViM is not one of those, and the coding process for those PIA codes is exactly the same as all coding for all models of BMW past and present.

If you've already coded ViM, then you just need to do the idrive sequence to bring up the hidden menu while logged in as the target profile. You don't need to wait until your cable arrives unless you backed the ViM changes out at some point. It might not work, just a suggestion
I don't think you understood my post.

Yes coding isn't allowed by BMW but the "genius" I spoke to is very knowledgeable about coding and he's familiar with coding.

I explained to him that everything I coded works with my driver profile but not in the guest profile.

I only coded VIM and m start up animation. Both work fine when using my driver profile. But in the guest profile I can only hear audio and it doesn't display video. Also the m start up does not appear in the guest profile.

As for the cable I think mine is defective. It will not work in any of my cars unless I'm doing something wrong.

I have my vgate WiFi adapter that I used initially. Only problem is that it doesn't show the correct vehicle. It show G05 but no G06 option. So I coded the car anyways picking G05.

I will try the access the speed lock menu using the guest profile but it's weird that the m start up won't appear unless I'm in my profile.
      03-13-2020, 02:46 AM   #55
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I only coded VIM and m start up animation. Both work fine when using my driver profile. But in the guest profile I can only hear audio and it doesn't display video. Also the m start up does not appear in the guest profile.

I will try the access the speed lock menu using the guest profile but it's weird that the m start up won't appear unless I'm in my profile.
It doesn't matter how you are connected to the car from an idrive profile perspective. When you code it updates the cafd of the target ECU (HU_MGU) and that's that. We can change certain i-drive parameters like the default settings for the driving assist features (lane change warning set to early instead of late kind of thing), but they aren't profile specific. It's possible some features like ViM only work on a non-guest profile by design - I guess we'll find out when you access the speedlock menu.

I don't use bimmercode so can't comment on the target connectors. My best guess is your wifi adapter is absolutely fine, and bimmercode is merely interpreting the S18A target connector for G05/G06/G07 and presenting it as only G05 LexxM3 - you use BC, can you confirm that is the case please?

I can't help with the cable unless you have access to esys? I've had defective one's before so its possible but usually its the network config, but should be simpler with iPhone lightning adapter connectivity.

Not sure about the M logo profile as I don't use it. I did a little work on it with Josef when we put the original cheat sheets together, but cant recall anything PIA related.

Edit: I assume you only get audio when moving? The car displays video from the guest profile when stationary?

Last edited by ifr; 03-13-2020 at 02:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 08:34 AM   #56
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

"Yes coding isn't allowed by BMW but the "genius" I spoke to is very knowledgeable about coding and he's familiar with coding. "

This is rare for a genius and I'm quite surprised that he/she even entertained your coding questions. You should have saved his/her extension # for future questions
      03-14-2020, 12:14 AM   #57
Wtfitzvi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bmw View Post

"Yes coding isn't allowed by BMW but the "genius" I spoke to is very knowledgeable about coding and he's familiar with coding. "

This is rare for a genius and I'm quite surprised that he/she even entertained your coding questions. You should have saved his/her extension # for future questions
I was surprised very surprised also. On delivery day he asked if I had any questions. I mention that we're familiar with the office system. Also mentioned how I enable VIM in the F15 for the kids and that's how we got started talking about coding and how he enabled/disabled features in his own car.
      03-14-2020, 12:17 AM   #58
Wtfitzvi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

It doesn't matter how you are connected to the car from an idrive profile perspective. When you code it updates the cafd of the target ECU (HU_MGU) and that's that. We can change certain i-drive parameters like the default settings for the driving assist features (lane change warning set to early instead of late kind of thing), but they aren't profile specific. It's possible some features like ViM only work on a non-guest profile by design - I guess we'll find out when you access the speedlock menu.

I don't use bimmercode so can't comment on the target connectors. My best guess is your wifi adapter is absolutely fine, and bimmercode is merely interpreting the S18A target connector for G05/G06/G07 and presenting it as only G05 LexxM3 - you use BC, can you confirm that is the case please?

I can't help with the cable unless you have access to esys? I've had defective one's before so its possible but usually its the network config, but should be simpler with iPhone lightning adapter connectivity.

Not sure about the M logo profile as I don't use it. I did a little work on it with Josef when we put the original cheat sheets together, but cant recall anything PIA related.

Edit: I assume you only get audio when moving? The car displays video from the guest profile when stationary?
Only problem with my WiFi adapter is I don't have access to the BDC. I also can't disable the start/stop either.

My BC app says that my WiFi adapter is no longer supported. That's why I bought the cable and adapter.

I'm going to order another cable and adapter off amazon and see if I have the same connection issue.

I will try the speed lock tomorrow when we get the car back from the tint shop.
      03-14-2020, 03:33 AM   #59
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Only problem with my WiFi adapter is I don't have access to the BDC. I also can't disable the start/stop either.

My BC app says that my WiFi adapter is no longer supported. That's why I bought the cable and adapter.
It's puzzling as its a binary on/off connection. If the app doesnt support your adapter then it should not allow any connection to the car. If it allows it and you can read the SVT on the S18A connector (G05 etc), which it sounds like you most certainly can, then you can access and code any ECU that BC supports.

I gather BDC support is new in BC, do you have a version of the BC app that supports it?

Maybe the dev locks out BDC for some other obscure reason with unsupported adapters, but if you can read and code HU_MGU then you can technically read and code BDC, subject to code mappings being supported within the app.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 12:40 PM   #60
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

Any pictures of what the different gauge clusters look like i.e. Alpina, after coding?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 06:46 AM   #61
x5_M50i_NC
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5MC / X740i on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellch00 View Post
Any pictures of what the different gauge clusters look like i.e. Alpina, after coding?
Check this thread...some posters attached photos of their Alpina display

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...547909&page=27
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 01:57 PM   #62
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

considering trying to code a few things. i looked at Bimmercode's website and they have a list of approved adapters/cables. Any thoughts on pros/cons of each, what works best, does it matter,? why one over another? etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 02:07 PM   #63
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
considering trying to code a few things. i looked at Bimmercode's website and they have a list of approved adapters/cables. Any thoughts on pros/cons of each, what works best, does it matter,? why one over another? etc.
I have the MX+ Bluetooth and an Enet Cable plus lighning adapter. I prefer the Enet cable becuase it can read the ECUs so much faster. It makes coding very quick. With the MX+, depending on the ECU, it can take a little time to read it. It got kind of annoying. Plus the Enet + adapter is a fraction of the cost, so if you're only going to be coding once or twice and be done with it, that would be the better route. Another advantage of the Enet cable is that if you ever evolve into more advance coding using Esys and a Token from Laucher Pro or EsysX, you will already have the required hardware.
Appreciate 1
eagle_bmw182.50
      03-19-2020, 02:16 PM   #64
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have the MX+ Bluetooth and an Enet Cable plus lighning adapter. I prefer the Enet cable becuase it can read the ECUs so much faster. It makes coding very quick. With the MX+, depending on the ECU, it can take a little time to read it. It got kind of annoying. Plus the Enet + adapter is a fraction of the cost, so if you're only going to be coding once or twice and be done with it, that would be the better route. Another advantage of the Enet cable is that if you ever evolve into more advance coding using Esys and a Token from Laucher Pro or EsysX, you will already have the required hardware.
I also purchased the Enet + Adapter last night. With the new 3.5 IOS release it took me close to 200 seconds to read the BDC with the wireless MX+, and another couple of minutes maybe to code the changes. I should have the hardware to go the esys route if I decide to go there.
      03-19-2020, 02:20 PM   #65
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I also purchased the Enet + Adapter last night. With the new 3.5 IOS release it took me close to 200 seconds to read the BDC with the wireless MX+, and another couple of minutes maybe to code the changes. I should have the hardware to go the esys route if I decide to go there.
At the very least download Esys - It's free - and you can VO code anti dazzle. That's a good "get the feet wet" code to get you familiar with Esys and how it interacts with the car, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 02:27 PM   #66
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
At the very least download Esys - It's free - and you can VO code anti dazzle. That's a good "get the feet wet" code to get you familiar with Esys and how it interacts with the car, etc.
Great! That's one feature that I really want to enable and didn't know it can be done without the launcher. Thanks!