BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-17-2021, 04:31 PM   #1
playin_harsh
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: soon - 2019 BMW G05

Resurfacing Rotors.

Hello everyone. Curious if I should resurface my rotors for X5. Had this suv for 2 years and at the end of every year my rotors end up warped. Ik this is extremely bad and none of my other cars go through this. Is this common for Bmw's? Last year July I had them replaced. And now my other set of brakes are warped as well. The rotors are thick and I know I can use them potentially for 4 years if they can be fixed. Need some knowledge and guidances (cost, local body shops) - from Toronto
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 04:42 PM   #2
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Are you following proper break-in when you replaced them? I track mine and have zero issues with warping. But I also follow the bedding procedure to the T. I've also had 4 BMW Suv's so far and none have had this issue so don't think it's common, something must be happening with your braking style?? Only city driving??

Yes - You can resurface, I've done it twice to one set so far with zero issues. If you do this you also need to replace pads at the same time and bed the brakes in.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      08-17-2021, 04:43 PM   #3
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The biggest reason rotors warp is failing to use a torque wrench when attaching the wheels. All it takes is once. I suppose if you were tracking the vehicle and then ran it through some deep water, the thermal shock might do something, but that would be a rarer situation for most people. Some people do left foot braking, and actually end up with that foot on the pedal, and that can heat up the rotors significantly. Everyone I know that says they don't rest the brake, if I follow them, their brake lights tend to be on/off a lot...they'd know if they were using their cruise control, as it would drop out each time.

If the rotors remain above the minimum, certainly, you can resurface them. Depends on how close to the minimum they end up when you're done whether it's cost effective or not.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2021, 04:58 PM   #4
playin_harsh
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Are you following proper break-in when you replaced them? I track mine and have zero issues with warping. But I also follow the bedding procedure to the T. I've also had 4 BMW Suv's so far and none have had this issue so don't think it's common, something must be happening with your braking style?? Only city driving??

Yes - You can resurface, I've done it twice to one set so far with zero issues. If you do this you also need to replace pads at the same time and bed the brakes in.
I'd say it's 80% city driving. And I'll be honest, I've never tried or known the procedure of bedding. I just hate spending money on a leased car. Need affordable options because I can't keep on purchasing new brakes every year for a car I technically don't even own. Would I be ok to only resurface the rotors and not replace the pads?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 05:00 PM   #5
playin_harsh
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The biggest reason rotors warp is failing to use a torque wrench when attaching the wheels. All it takes is once. I suppose if you were tracking the vehicle and then ran it through some deep water, the thermal shock might do something, but that would be a rarer situation for most people. Some people do left foot braking, and actually end up with that foot on the pedal, and that can heat up the rotors significantly. Everyone I know that says they don't rest the brake, if I follow them, their brake lights tend to be on/off a lot...they'd know if they were using their cruise control, as it would drop out each time.

If the rotors remain above the minimum, certainly, you can resurface them. Depends on how close to the minimum they end up when you're done whether it's cost effective or not.
Never done left foot braking and tracking. I got entire job done from the dealership so I don't really know if wheels were torqued or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 05:02 PM   #6
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 x40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The biggest reason rotors warp is failing to use a torque wrench when attaching the wheels.
Interesting, never knew that. I see Discount Tire (Atlanta) now uses torque wrenches when they mount wheels, never thought it might be due to rotors. On my E70 I went through brake rotors whenever they did pads, so every 25k miles or so. Also went through tires in about the same time, so maybe changing the tires affected the longevity of the rotor. Go figure!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 05:30 PM   #7
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Did anyone take measurements on the rotors? If you're having severe vibrations during braking it could either be warped rotors or brake pad deposit onto the rotor.

I have this happen pretty frequently when I park my cars outside, not driven, for periods of time. The rotors didn't warp, but pads created some deposits. After some spirited braking, they eventually wear off.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 05:46 PM   #8
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Quote:

Tenac - I've looked online (my car isn't here yet)...and not seeing anything of value - and really only this from BMW - https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-li...ar.html#pwjt-4

How do you 'break-in' your brakes? In past/older cars, I've initially have done some hard and sudden brakes to set the pads and rotors...is that not advised any longer? Thanks for your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 07:08 PM   #9
playin_harsh
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFU View Post
Did anyone take measurements on the rotors? If you're having severe vibrations during braking it could either be warped rotors or brake pad deposit onto the rotor.

I have this happen pretty frequently when I park my cars outside, not driven, for periods of time. The rotors didn't warp, but pads created some deposits. After some spirited braking, they eventually wear off.
I've tried this but it didn't help. To be honest, my X5 does sit in the garage sometimes for 2-3 weeks. Any other method to remove the deposits?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 08:08 PM   #10
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by playin_harsh View Post
I've tried this but it didn't help. To be honest, my X5 does sit in the garage sometimes for 2-3 weeks. Any other method to remove the deposits?
Not really that shouldn't matter... strange for sure.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 08:29 PM   #11
iceRN09
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i Xdrive, X5 M50i

Quote:
Hello everyone. Curious if I should resurface my rotors for X5. Had this suv for 2 years and at the end of every year my rotors end up warped. Ik this is extremely bad and none of my other cars go through this. Is this common for Bmw's? Last year July I had them replaced. And now my other set of brakes are warped as well. The rotors are thick and I know I can use them potentially for 4 years if they can be fixed. Need some knowledge and guidances (cost, local body shops) - from Toronto
Here is a good tip. Resurfacing rotors creates more problem. Find a reputable independent shop that can replace your brakes. I had an infiniti that kept on being resurfaced. I ended up changing to stop tech. No issues for the 3 yrs I have used it.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 08:31 PM   #12
iceRN09
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i Xdrive, X5 M50i

Quote:
Accelerate to 50 MPh then hard braking. Try a few times. see if it fix. If not. Your rotors are warped and the best way to do is to change the rotors. If possible, find a better rotor. So far the brakes in the X5 M50i and M340i has been good. No warping. It brakes smoothly but grabs at the end.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 01:15 AM   #13
Wes335XI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI Space Grey

Does your lease not come with the maintenance program? Your brakes should last at least 25-30K miles. As another member said, not torquing the wheels down with a torque wrench will do it or over torquing for that matter. I had a buddy do it by mistake and my brakes were warped almost immediately. I've had a torque wrench in my garage ever since.

I also don't recommend resurfacing rotors. I feel like that is a thing of the past and it's not worth the hassle. You risk having more problems down the road just to save a few bucks. I normally buy Stop Tech slotted rotors, a better performing rotor and you'll pay less than OEM normally.
2022 X5 MSport Alpine White/Tartufo Merino - Inbound
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 09:11 AM   #14
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes335XI View Post
Does your lease not come with the maintenance program? Your brakes should last at least 25-30K miles. As another member said, not torquing the wheels down with a torque wrench will do it or over torquing for that matter. I had a buddy do it by mistake and my brakes were warped almost immediately. I've had a torque wrench in my garage ever since.

I also don't recommend resurfacing rotors. I feel like that is a thing of the past and it's not worth the hassle. You risk having more problems down the road just to save a few bucks. I normally buy Stop Tech slotted rotors, a better performing rotor and you'll pay less than OEM normally.
Maintenance no longer covers brake rotor wear/vibrations after '16 models? Or somewhere around there I believe. My '14 X1 was covered, '18 was not.

You say it's a leased car. If it were me, I'd check if it's an actual warped rotor. If not warped, I'd just ride it out until return as long as it's just an annoyance and not impeding your stopping performance.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 03:02 PM   #15
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Per the owner's manual:
"Brake system
Brake discs and brake pads only reach their full
effectiveness after approx. 300 miles/500 km.
Drive moderately during this break-in period."

You should avoid aggressive stops and mountain driving during the break-in period and realize that the full stopping power will not be there until they are fully bedded in. This applies when changing pad, too.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #16
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Tenac - I've looked online (my car isn't here yet)...and not seeing anything of value - and really only this from BMW - https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-li...ar.html#pwjt-4

How do you 'break-in' your brakes? In past/older cars, I've initially have done some hard and sudden brakes to set the pads and rotors...is that not advised any longer? Thanks for your thoughts!
https://www.autozone.com/diy/brakes/bedding-brakes
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 2
bandersen586.00
GrussGott18116.50
      08-20-2021, 05:59 PM   #17
playin_harsh
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Could there be any other reason why brakes are warping. Mechanically can any other part (ex: control arm) contribute to fast wear of rotors? I've seen and been in other cars where drivers brake much harsher than how I do, but yet again my car goes through this issue. I'm trying to build a case to the dealership to find something faulty because I cannot find anything wrong.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 06:24 PM   #18
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

Quote:
Tenac, Im sure the brakes are bed in already from the factory. There is no where that BMW recommends to do this.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 10:51 AM   #19
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
Tenac, Im sure the brakes are bed in already from the factory. There is no where that BMW recommends to do this.
Could be but with their second set I recommend it then as well. I do it for all new brakes now after my issues with warping on my truck. Since I've done it no more issues, but just my experience.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 08:49 PM   #20
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760li

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
In my experience, not using the brakes aggressively on occasion (and/or driving in cold environments) can cause uneven pad deposits to form on the rotor. this can also occur after the brakes are hot and the car is stopped/parked while the brakes are cooling.

the brake bed-in process (there are several theories see Brembo vs StopTech) is important because it gets the rotors and pads hot enough for the pad to transfer a layer on the rotors. this is important initially with news pads/rotors, and every few months to maintain a good pad deposit layer on the rotor. it also ensures the best braking performance.

I'd guess you have uneven pad deposits, or high spots, as they mimic a warped rotor. once you get uneven deposits, they continue to worsen unless you mitigate. if you go out and drive and brake hard a few times, do you see black marks on the rotor face?

try researching StopTech bed in procedure and give it a try. Complete the full cycle once, allow cool down,and then do the cycle again. that should smooth things out.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 08:39 PM   #21
azny
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X7; 2020 BMW X5

I have had this issue with my 2020 X5 - about 8,000 miles on it - and the brakes starting pulsating at highway speeds.

I took it in a week ago and they resurfaced the front rotors and put in new brake pads. It was Ok at lower speeds but 1) i could hear the brakes make a grinding noise at low speeds (at a set frequency matched by speed); and 2) when i took it on the highway the pulsating was still there.

I took it back this week and they resurfaced the rear rotors and put in new brake pads. When they tested, the pulsating was still there. So they replaced the front rotors entirely and new pads again - the notes said the 'front rotors are excessively out of round and too thin to be resurfaced'. It seems fine now - certainly the low speed grinding noise is gone. Will report back when I take it on the highway.

There was a pre-printed BMW note to take it easy for the next 250 miles - it said "no violent braking".

Everything was covered under warranty - i am assuming because at 8,000 miles it can't possibly be a wear item, i.e., more a manufacturing defect.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      10-20-2021, 10:00 PM   #22
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by azny View Post

i am assuming because at 8,000 miles it can't possibly be a wear item, i.e., more a manufacturing defect.
Or at least it's easier for your dealer to get rid of you AND get paid by writing "'front rotors are excessively out of round and too thin to be resurfaced" in the notes and submitting it as warranty work
Appreciate 0