06-30-2023, 07:51 AM   #1
Willie^g
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 45e

2023 X5 45E Issues

Hey,

Sorry for the long message

On the heals of the 50e issues discussed here I figured I would ask the group if they had any similar issues.

I took delivery of my X5 45e in Feb 2023, 1st BMW but owned Audi and mercedes. I am generally able to do 75% of my driving on electric (currently have 2500 miles on the car with 600 on ICE).

In mid may I noticed the car running rough when it transition from electric to ICE during a trip but once it was back to electric everything was fine. Last week in May it started to run rough again and the check engine light came on. So I took the car to the dealer and they have had it for over 30 days now. It is definitely an ICE issue but it has less than 600mile on it.

They have done over the last 30days:
-Rest and reprogrammed the computer
-Replaces fuel injectors
-replaced all the spark plugs
-replaced a value cover
-replace vent hoses

With all of that the issue is still there. I also noticed that every time they do something it takes 3 days. (Fix, open case with BMW, order parts, fix......)

Questions:
-Have any other 45e owners had this kind of issue?
-Is it normal for BMW service center to have to contact BMW NA for all fixes (take 24-36hrs for them to respond)? Maybe BMW is under staffed.
-Are the BMW service centers normally very lax? I will go days without information and I have to call or reachout to them.

I am just concerned that with all the work the service center is doing that it will not be as good as the original factory stuff so will have issues in the future.

Maybe time for a lawyer.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 10:17 AM   #2
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

What happen to your car is not normal at all. So contacting bmw NA for technical support in this situation is normal. Plugs, injectors and valve cover don’t go bad at the same time. Sound to me they also don’t what exact went wrong and just start replacing things in the approximaty of the issues.
Appreciate 1
swainbmw525.50
      06-30-2023, 02:45 PM   #3
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

BMW NA being involved is not unusual for issues that dealers rarely see. 45e is fairly low volume, so I'm sure there is less expertise out there.

Do not call a lawyer. Be very friendly with your service manager. They can initiate a buyback through BMW. Keep all the receipts and gently raise the possibility with the service manager. Trust me, they hate cars like that as much as you.
Appreciate 1
Phasers571.50
      06-30-2023, 03:01 PM   #4
MarcosLepre
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Garage List
Sorry to hear that, we’ve owned our 45e since July of 21, we covered 24k miles with absolutely zero issues. 9K electric and 15 ICE. We didn’t have access to charger the first first year and we used it on long trips. Currently we do about 75% electric. We liked it so much that we ordered a 50e being built week 28.

The B58 ice engine is a great engine so it’s rare to have the replaced all those component. Previously we also had a 340 with the b58 and other than a seatbelt sensor we also had zero issues.

Hope you get things resolved and that you don’t have any other issues.

Best of luck