BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-13-2021, 07:13 PM   #1
SpaceCadet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 xdrive40i

Finally decided on winter wheel/tire set.

After many frustrations with the inability to ship stuff from shopbmwusa, online bmw parts dealers, no availability of the 20" wheels I wanted for my 2021 G05 xdrive40i with summer pirelli RFT and M-Sport brakes, I talked with tire rack, looked at BBS wheels, and found the one that would fit perfectly.

Got myself some BBS SX crystal black 20" wheels with discounted (2017) winter tires. I was told tire life is usually 8 years if stored and not used.
I talked with tire rack pros and they said this package for winter is basically plug and play with no mods required on my car. Plus the price to include both the tires and wheels for winter came out WAY less than shopbmwusa and from any bmw dealer in South Korea as I'm stationed here.

What do you guys think of these wheels?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 09:17 AM   #2
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Here are the calcs for front: https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...#38;offset2=33

Here are the calcs for rear: https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...#38;offset2=33

In summary, yes those should fit, although a test fitment is always needed for a non-stock setups (TireRack is generally competent, so this isn't a big risk if they say it fits). Your front wheels will be a tiny bit more inside the wheel well (2.3mm) than stock and that's nothing. Your rear wheels will be a little more inside (9.1mm) than stock and that's nothing to worry about, although you could add a 10mm spacer to the rear if you're anal.

One thing to check is whether the stock lug bolts lengths are compatible with this setup (with or without rear spacer) or if you need any new bolts. There is not enough info there (or almost ever) to know for sure.

Attached Images

08-14-2021, 02:53 PM   #3
blake6551
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X5MC, '23 X5 45e

I've been looking at this setup too. It's slightly more offset than the stock 20s (2mm) and Tirerack will supply new ball seat bolts for the BBS wheels. Only thing I'm unclear on, it looks like the specific SX wheel they are quoting has a 66.5mm centerbore, stock is 66.6mm, assuming that will be fine and then doesn't require a hubcentric ring.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 06:42 PM   #4
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake6551 View Post
I've been looking at this setup too. It's slightly more offset than the stock 20s (2mm) and Tirerack will supply new ball seat bolts for the BBS wheels. Only thing I'm unclear on, it looks like the specific SX wheel they are quoting has a 66.5mm centerbore, stock is 66.6mm, assuming that will be fine and then doesn't require a hubcentric ring.
66.6mm and 66.5mm are well within the tolerance of the hubs and hub holes — that will be totally fine.
      08-17-2021, 04:56 AM   #5
SpaceCadet
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake6551 View Post
66.6mm and 66.5mm are well within the tolerance of the hubs and hub holes — that will be totally fine.
Thanks for the confirmation of fitments! I was worried it'll break my car with aftermarket wheels but seems many folks trust tire rack!

Also tire rack includes the separate bolts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 08:28 AM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCadet View Post
Last time I used TireRack was well over 15 years ago, and they were pretty trustworthy and accurate with their fitment guides. I originally ordered a wheel and tire package for my '21 45e when switching from OEM 21" to aftermarket 20".

BBS is a solid, well-reputed brand, but unbeknownst to me after ordering, wheel tech has improved so much. I came to learn about forging tech, so I canceled my order. I still used their mobile installation company who did a fantastic job (better than my Audi dealership!)

my wheel specs are the same as yours except offset: 20x9ET27. with the 275/45R20 tires, I didn't add any front spacers but did add 18mm rear spacers. they are hubcentric so didn't need any rings.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 05:30 PM   #7
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
After many frustrations with the inability to ship stuff from shopbmwusa, online bmw parts dealers, no availability of the 20" wheels I wanted for my 2021 G05 xdrive40i with summer pirelli RFT and M-Sport brakes, I talked with tire rack, looked at BBS wheels, and found the one that would fit perfectly.

Got myself some BBS SX crystal black 20" wheels with discounted (2017) winter tires. I was told tire life is usually 8 years if stored and not used.
I talked with tire rack pros and they said this package for winter is basically plug and play with no mods required on my car. Plus the price to include both the tires and wheels for winter came out WAY less than shopbmwusa and from any bmw dealer in South Korea as I'm stationed here.

Just so you know, that 8 year life started in 2017 so you'll get just 4 more years before tire shops won't touch them
      08-21-2021, 05:32 PM   #8
SpaceCadet
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
Quote:

Just so you know, that 8 year life started in 2017 so you'll get just 4 more years before tire shops won't touch them
Yup! I asked about that and tire rack told me this and I was fine with it for now since I'll be moving next summer to not sure where yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 12:47 AM   #9
SpaceCadet
United_States
Rep

Another thing I wanted to ask was this combination above ok for xdrive? Just making sure nothing will break lol.

I just came back from tire bank, it's like a huge tire center chain in South Korea! They offer tire hotel storage for wheels and tires for 200,000 won a year! Not bad. Installation of mounting and balancing and putting the wheels on cost 500,000 won. First they were telling me my combination of wheel and tire above will not fit in my car because of xdrive but I've confirmed with tire rack that the 20 inch BBS wheels square set up and pirelli winter tires will fit. Tire rack ensured I had all necessary parts to have a easy install for the tire centers.

Anyone has other thoughts on why they thought it won't fit?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 07:49 AM   #10
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Anyone has other thoughts on why they thought it won't fit?
the main concern with xDrive (AWD) is not straining the drivetrain with different front to rear rolling diameters, which concerns the tires not wheels. nothing on the BBS wheels would indicate they won't fit. I'm particularly curious what is it about being an xDrive that flags them the wheels won't fit…
Appreciate 0