BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-26-2023, 09:32 PM   #1
hmbmd116
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

New X5 50e navigation dead

Went to pick up my new X5 today. The navigation would not initiate. Service tried to get it working but had to contact BMW to get a code. As of closing, they did not get the code. I test drove the car without navigation with my salesperson. Car drives great. Advanced driving professional would not work as this is tied to navigation as well. Could not take remote picture from myBMW app which responded I was not in a country that allowed pictures to be taken. The car is in Pennsylvania. They tell me the car should be ready to go tomorrow afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 10:42 PM   #2
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

BMW's nav uses a long code called an FSC code to unlock the data files required to display the map data. Whomever entered or assigned it, messed up. It is keyed to a specific VIN code, so there is no one generic code to make it work. I thought the dealers had the software to produce an FSC code, but maybe not for the current generation. Once that is in, it should work. If the actual data files are corrupt, or missing, the dealer can install those as long as the vehicle has a valid FSC code, they should work. Seems your vehicle may have been loaded with a different country code, so there may be more mismanaged software in the vehicle. This is the first time I've heard of this being reported in the forum, so my guess is that it's not a common issue. Somebody messed up in their final inspection.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 06:24 AM   #3
KT_OH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmbmd116 View Post
Went to pick up my new X5 today. The navigation would not initiate. Service tried to get it working but had to contact BMW to get a code. As of closing, they did not get the code. I test drove the car without navigation with my salesperson. Car drives great. Advanced driving professional would not work as this is tied to navigation as well. Could not take remote picture from myBMW app which responded I was not in a country that allowed pictures to be taken. The car is in Pennsylvania. They tell me the car should be ready to go tomorrow afternoon.
My NAV works fine. I have had the same error once or twice when taking remote pictures. It seems to be in cases where I am connected to WiFi on my phone at work or at a client. Maybe due to VPN/firewall it confuses my location? Always works fine when on cellular.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 07:21 AM   #4
umzzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
My nav doesn't work either and the myBMW app says my country doesn't support remote 3d view so maybe that's what is happening to me. I have an appt on Thursday to have the car checked out and I will mention this to them as well along with the possibility that the car wasn't PDI'd correctly.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 05:53 PM   #5
hmbmd116
Private
Rep

Update:

My dealership has to download the correct software from BMW to install in my car. They have been doing this all day and hope to install it in the car tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 06:10 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

It sounds like it wasn't programmed as a USA vehicle...as a result, it didn't have the US maps in it at all. The dealership (and factory!) should have figured that out prior to shipping it to you. But, once reprogrammed, should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 06:58 AM   #7
hmbmd116
Private
Rep

Latest Update:

Picked up the car yesterday. Navigation works fine. Driving assistant does not work. Distance cruise is ok but I get several errors saying driving assistance is reduced and restricted. Lane changing is not available. Interestingly, lane departure warning and assisted view in the dashboard work. I brought the car immediately back in and it showed many code errors on their computer. They offered me a loaner again but I wanted the car for a while and scheduled service in a few weeks. They think it is a software issue rather than a sensor issue. They will have BMW engineers remote into the car when they get it back.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 07:31 AM   #8
umzzy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Oh jeez.. I just dropped my car off a little while ago and I noted everything to them on this thread.. Let's hope I have a different outcome
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 07:32 AM   #9
umzzy
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Update on my car: They said it was stuck in transport mode. Everything seems to be working fine now, including all the driver assistance systems. Dropped off at 7:30AM and picked up at noon.

Only issue left now is the my BMW app doesn't update unless I lock or unlock the car and my car is still under a cloak. Otherwise remote 3d view started working too
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 06:05 PM   #10
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Sounds like they did a crappy pre-delivery vehicle check...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 11:14 PM   #11
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by umzzy View Post
Update on my car: They said it was stuck in transport mode. Everything seems to be working fine now, including all the driver assistance systems. Dropped off at 7:30AM and picked up at noon.

Only issue left now is the my BMW app doesn't update unless I lock or unlock the car and my car is still under a cloak. Otherwise remote 3d view started working too
that’s normal. if there’s been no status change to the vehicle, it won’t send any new data to the app server to update. of course, when you lock and unlock the vehicle, you’ve caused status changes which is then reflected in the app

the car under the cloak thing was very rare and random pre-LCI, but seems to be happening a lot on newer batches of the LCI
Appreciate 1
umzzy86.50