Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBahama View Post
the new Vette will be insane.

as for the vette image, the same can be said for paying 100k for a ricer...
Ricer????? Are you kidding me?
      03-29-2007, 02:12 PM   #24
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

All the kids who rice up their cars dream of Skylines, but how many get them?0!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 02:13 PM   #25
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

It's guaranteed not to "fail". The 350z hasn't been a failure for Nissan. G35 coupe hasn't been a failure for Infiniti. My guess is though that Nissan North America won't bring the different versions over. They'll just bring the base and then go the option package route. Majority of americans don't understand "v-spec" and I doubt they'd pay accordingly. 55k sounds like an awesome price point for the performance they're going to bring.

The vette's a fair analogy; it gets no love because it's perceived as cheap and only attracting a certain type of buyer. I looked at a C5 way back when, and the thing that struck me was that it was just too focused to be my daily driver. Wasn't so much the nasty interior (which it was ... but hey when you've got that much power for so little money you can't complain too much) it was more the thrill-ride factor. After a 20min test drive, I got out smiling ear to ear, but I also had a headache and I felt like I'd just gotten off 20min of riding a roller coaster. Just too much sensory overload. Not a commuter car.

It'll be interesting to see what the do with the GT-R; isolate the current fan base by making the new car softer, heavier, more luxo barge with monster power, or keep the edge and risk not drawing in the people that've never heard of the legend?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 05:11 PM   #26
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

I think if I understand correctly Nissan will hedge its bets: there will be a GT-R as the enthusiast community knows it: Nissan, in a base trim 330 hp and then double turbo 911 killer (which by the way is what the Vette is as well-heck the Vette Z06 tracked faster than 430 Modena on Top Gear).

Then Nissan will (apparently) badge an Infinti model on the GT-R platform as a top line Infiniti. Now given the pricing, I actually think that the Nissan GT-R will sell less in the long run in NA than the Infiniti badged model (which will have higher quality interior). Intially, the fans wil get the GT-R but once that relatively narrow buyer pool is exhausted, the lux buyers will more easely justfy the Infinti badge at $100,000. Just my view of course,
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 06:57 PM   #27
musoo
I F**KIN' Luv Coloring
Canada
Rep
Drives: '06 325i

GTR Rocks !
Attached Images

Last edited by musoo; 03-30-2007 at 12:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 08:37 PM   #28
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista View Post
I think if I understand correctly Nissan will hedge its bets: there will be a GT-R as the enthusiast community knows it: Nissan, in a base trim 330 hp and then double turbo 911 killer (which by the way is what the Vette is as well-heck the Vette Z06 tracked faster than 430 Modena on Top Gear).
Yes, but it's just like our cars versus an Evo. Sure the Evo is faster but is it really a better car overall? I don't think so. Honestly, the interior on a Corvette looks like it was lifted straight out of the entry level Chevys. Not nice at all. But if all you're looking for is speed then sure the Corvette is damn quick, but an Atom is faster still and cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2007, 10:02 PM   #29
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

I completely agree-I would not get a Vette as a daily driver. But I would get it as a track car, rip out the interiror, get racing Recaros with a harness and roll cage, momo steering wheel, short shifter, and you have a Tasmanian devil on the track (plus you just shaved 50 pounds off the weight.

Now the GT-R has truly outstanding performance and I am really looking forward to finaly seeing it in NA officially (I just hope they tone down a bit the post-apocalyptic looks of the prototype).

Last edited by Bimmerista; 03-30-2007 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2007, 04:25 AM   #30
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
i haven't read what the later members said but every time i look at the skyline it puts a smile on my face