BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-05-2021, 08:27 PM   #1
phytonicM50i
Rep
Drives: ‘22 BMW X5 M50i

DIY: X5 (G05) to F97 X3M Mirror Retrofit with Autotecknik CF Mirror Caps Installed

So after searching everywhere I couldn’t find a DIY write up on how to tackle this conversion myself. I ended up going in blind and recorded the process for anyone interested but wants guidance. It’s a very easy and basic install, but DIY posts always make the job a little easier. So here goes, and if I missed anything feel free to correct me.

TOOLS NEEDED:
1. Plastic Pry Tool or Flathead Screwdriver
2. T10 Torx Bit and Driver
3. Electrical Tape

TIME NEEDED:
— about 10/20 minutes per side

DIFFICULTY (1-10)
— 2

To start you need to push the top outside part of the mirror. Doing so will give you enough space along the bottom to get your pry tool (or flathead with cloth wrapped around it) inside to pop out the mirror. Just give it a bit of force and the mirror will pop right out.

Once the mirror comes off the clips, you will see it is connected to some wiring. Disconnect all the wiring from the mirror. In order not to confuse the 2 black wires, I taped the top one so when I reinstall I know which goes where.

Now that the mirror is completely off, it’s time to take off the mirror cover. There are 2 clips that you have to pry/play with and push the cover off as you pry the clip. Don’t push too hard, just enough so that the clip disengages and the cover moves off a little. Do one side at a time and the cover will come off easy enough. Here are pics of the clips you have to press with a flat-head so the mirror cover comes off.

Next, grab your torx T10 bit and driver and take off the 5 screws going around in a circle. Here is a pic showing the screws you have to take off.

Once all the screws are off, the mirror base comes right off with a little wiggle. Replace it with the IND X3M base and put the screws that you just took off, back in. Here’s how it should look.

Once the X3M base is on and tightened, attach your new mirror cover and then plug up the mirror glass and reattach the glass. YOU ARE NOW DONE. Time to work on the next side.

Here is the completed look with the CF covers. Forgive my dirty ass truck, my garage is hella dusty.

Last edited by phytonicM50i; 11-05-2021 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 2
HomeIn2322.50
SKBSY885.00
      06-16-2022, 08:15 AM   #2
martinf79
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 X5 M50i

So, I attempted to change the mirror caps as everyone has instructed to do so here (pry the glass off, push the clips out, etc). I tried 3 times and couldn't get the glass off, and every time I felt like the risk of breaking the glass and/or f-ing up some of the wires behind the glass was going to happen.

Came across this video for the last gen X5, and process is the EXACT same on the G05, and I had the mirror cap off in 30 sec (NO MIRROR REMOVAL NEEDED).

Just figured I'd share as so many people have posted about how the F'd up trying to remove the glass. You don't need to (so hopefully this process gains more traction and helps folks out).
Cooltones241.00
mobilejo1105.50
SKBSY885.00
      10-30-2023, 08:22 PM   #3
smashe
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 competition 2016 x5 35

Why did you put x3m mirrors on instead of x5m mirrors? Or are they the same thing? I know the f series all the mirrors were the same (x3 and x5)
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 02:45 PM   #4
Theewade
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

Garage List
2019 BMW x5   [8.00]
smashe X5 and X3 share the same mirror caps, housings and glass.