01-09-2022, 12:56 AM   #1
KLCC
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: x40i BMW individual

Smile feedback on Carbon ceramic brake

Hi y'all

I like to know if anyone has installed a complete CCB (see below for link) from tro-nik engineering, or is aware of such CCB package on our vehicle. Aside from its exorbitant cost, the overall bundle feels/look like it's OEM directly?

While M sport brake is generally sufficient for the daily drive. I would prefer a better life span offered from CCB configuration, and I would love to hear feedback from y'all on the vendor or anything in general w.r.t. CCB and unsprung weight saving/handling modification versus stock to help me become more educated in this topic.

Appreciated any info in advance.

https://tro-nik.com/product/carbon-c...-bmw-g-series/
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 08:17 AM   #2
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

It is OEM - the part numbers are the CCB from the M5/M8.

I can't see the cost/benefit analysis working out in favour of adding these to a 40i SUV that is daily driven. Yes there is a weight reduction and no brake dust, but I don't find that to be worth $14k - the primary benefits of CCB are increased stopping power and heat-fade resistance; neither of those are an issue on a DD 40i.

If increased stopping power is required, it can be achieved with the M Performance brake upgrade for a much reduced cost. Brake pads with low dusting are available at no cost above OEM pads. If unsprung weight saving is desired then start with the wheels and tyres. The CCB weight 24kg less than std M5 brakes, that is the almost an identical weight difference between 21" RFT and 21" non-RFT tyres. Having done that switch, I can say that I wouldn't pay $14k for the difference in weight alone.

CCBs make sense on a high powered performance vehicle, likely to be driven very hard such as on a track, and will probably already have lightweight wheels - it will benefit from all aspects of a CCB: reducing weight even further, stopping power and heat-fade resistance. A medium powered SUV on standard wheels that is daily driven is unlikely to benefit from those things enough to justify $14k. All IMO of course - YMMV.

They *may* also squeal when cold, so could be quite annoying if never driven hard enough to get them up to optimum temps.

Last edited by mobilejo; 01-09-2022 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 1
KLCC79.50
      01-09-2022, 12:53 PM   #3
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

This seems very out of place on a 40i. I'd wager you'll be able to lock the brakes up with a reasonably aggressive pad compound instead. Lifespan be damned, there's a reason why most people buying factory CCB setups also purchase steelies for their daily driving. There's a lot, and I mean a LOT of finicky nature in how you care for and clean CCBs, not to mention the dreaded 2mm "oops the wheel slipped slightly" of doom when you're swapping/pulling your wheels. That slight tap can cost you thousands.

If you were building out for 700, 800hp, I could see bothering to do this
      01-09-2022, 04:34 PM   #4
amc42
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e, Z4 (E85)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonet View Post
There's a lot, and I mean a LOT of finicky nature in how you care for and clean CCBs, not to mention the dreaded 2mm "oops the wheel slipped slightly" of doom when you're swapping/pulling your wheels. That slight tap can cost you thousands.
Yes, there's a reason why the BMW maintenance instructions (at least when the CCBs were new for the F10 M5) said to use a special tool (actually a lift kind of thing) when removing/placing wheels on cars with CCB. That thing would prevent the wheel from touching the rotor. Not sure if that is still what they use.

The "slight tap" is like a solid 4K for a single front rotor. And if it had significant wear already, more like 8K for two of them.

On an X5 that might see gravel roads now and then I would really stay far away from CCBs. Sure, modern rotors are not as fickle as first generation ones and don't get chipped that easily any more, but the danger is always there, and the cost immense.
Appreciate 0