BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-05-2022, 12:18 PM   #1
sonjack
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Trying to plan X5 audio and overwhelmed!

Hello,
I am new to the forum and this is my first post so please forgive any poor form! I just put a deposit on a X5 45e...a lot of options to consider but very excited about my build-although it is clear what you get and when isn't really known until the car shows up. That said, I am interested in audio upgrade options, since currently as you know, the base audio is the only choice and it is clear it is horrible sounding. I have read many threads on the topic but was hoping for some additional insight. First, I am an audiophile and love great music that is sonically accurate and have always put in after market equipment in most cars. I know there are a lot of PNP options most notably Bavsound, Bimmertech and Focal that folks reference some with amp replacements some not. My questions are has anyone found comparisons of the three? Any firm recommendations? I do not see many folks with the Bimmertech speakers and wondering why not? I would plan on replacing speakers and amp. Finally, if I was not going for the PNP and have an installer put in a system (my preferred approach) any suggestions on components and configurations that folks have installed? I appreciate the insights and help!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 05:30 PM   #2
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

On the Forum here you'll find a lot of info, I'd encourage you to just do some nightly reading. From my research, I believe most folks are of the assessment that Focal is the superior speaker of the 3 PNP choices. I've only just taken delivery of my 45e and have not yet done anything, except read posts, etc.

There are a few members that have done full upgrades themselves....maybe they can chime in more and/or you can get perspectives from their posts; like this one:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ighlight=focal

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjack View Post
Hello,
I am new to the forum and this is my first post so please forgive any poor form! I just put a deposit on a X5 45e...a lot of options to consider but very excited about my build-although it is clear what you get and when isn't really known until the car shows up. That said, I am interested in audio upgrade options, since currently as you know, the base audio is the only choice and it is clear it is horrible sounding. I have read many threads on the topic but was hoping for some additional insight. First, I am an audiophile and love great music that is sonically accurate and have always put in after market equipment in most cars. I know there are a lot of PNP options most notably Bavsound, Bimmertech and Focal that folks reference some with amp replacements some not. My questions are has anyone found comparisons of the three? Any firm recommendations? I do not see many folks with the Bimmertech speakers and wondering why not? I would plan on replacing speakers and amp. Finally, if I was not going for the PNP and have an installer put in a system (my preferred approach) any suggestions on components and configurations that folks have installed? I appreciate the insights and help!
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2022, 06:07 PM   #3
Ropax5
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e and 2020 X3 30i

Bimmertech amp is all you’ll need in my opinion. It took me less than 15 minutes to install and the improvement is huge. Better than my 2017 X5 with Harmon kardon. I doubt you’d be able to hear much of a difference with upgrading speakers as I have found the OEM good enough with the amp upgrade.

I did just upgrade the front speakers with Focal inside and honestly can’t hear much of difference and would return them if I could.
Appreciate 2
omasou2088.00
      01-05-2022, 07:47 PM   #4
sonjack
Rep

Thanks for the info and responses. I will keep reading and learning. I have a few months!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 07:51 AM   #5
amc42
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e, Z4 (E85)

The thing with audio in modern BMWs is (5 series and up, no recent audio experience with 3ish cars) that sound issues are often less due to speakers as such but sound processing. The regular speakers are no longer pure trash (as they used to be), so just replacing them won't really cut it.

You will put on a number of different tracks and some will sound great and others will sound a bit dull as if they were playing behind a curtain - and it's not immediately noticeable why. I am 99% sure this is mostly due to sound processing. Mostly you will have stereo sound sources that need to be mixed to a large number of speakers in different places and with different capabilities. And that mixing can go well or not.

The HK version in the G05 seems to do a better job than the one I have in the F10 M5 now (where many tracks sound better if I turn not just surround, but also rear sound completely off (all to front, there's no actual off setting). I could reproduce that in a newer 5 series, but not in the 45e that I test drove.

Since you say you have a few months of wait, you may potentially be able to add HK to your order before the car is built - availability of options seems to be changing from month to month currently. I wouldn't completely give up on that yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 05:12 PM   #6
dananelson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X5 45e, 13 X5xdrive50i SOLD

Another good thread here to read through for advanced upgrade choices:
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1830327
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 09:32 PM   #7
sonjack
Rep

Great information. Yes, I do not have a build date or a final order yet so maybe I will get lucky. Until then the search continues for the best option!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 10:15 AM   #8
jtdavid
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5

Bimmertech

I recently had the Bimmertech speakers, subs, and amp installed. It made a significant difference. Definitely an improvement over the base X5 and even over the HK audio I had in my previous car, an M2. Much clearer audio and no distortion as volume increases.

The installer I hired installed the amp first and he said just doing that made a big difference by itself.

If I were doing it over I would probably buy the Bimmertech amp first and install it and see if that was good enough. But I do have a feeling swapping out the subs and tweeters made a difference as well.
      01-07-2022, 11:55 AM   #9
RC_Hund
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
I've posted a bit about my upgrade path a few months ago.
I first upgraded the speakers in the doors and the dash with Focal Inside speakers which I purchased from an ebay seller in Germany. Half the price of purchasing them in the US.
I then upgraded to the bimmer-tech amplifier. All installation was done by me and was fairly painless. Watch the bimmer-tech videos for amplifier install and also for the speaker swap. (speakers are basically the same.)
I have not upgraded the subs yet. Still on fence, but will likely do the Focals.

If I were to start over, I would first upgrade the amp, listen to the system for a few weeks for everything to get burned in and then upgrade the speakers.

The Focal speakers were a distinct improvement over the stock BMW HiFi speakers. The Focal separates for the front doors have two options for the tweeter coming out of the crossover box. Use the -3 dB option. The 0 dB option is too bright and just sounds harsh all around. I had to pop the tweeter housings off of the door and swap to the -3 dB line. Much more pleasing.

The amp/DSP upgrade will also give you the ability to tweak the entire system if you want to put the effort into it.

The stock head unit and signal processing is actually very good. I stream lossless audio through it and it is crisp and clear. I use both internet sources and a half terabyte USB drive that I put in the center console. I spent some time in the first half of the pandemic ripping my 38 year collection of CD's to lossless formats on my harddrive. The BMW system plays everything without a hiccup and shows the album art for easy navigation.
My home system is a vintage Nakamichi receiver connected to a pair of DCM TF 600's and I would say that upgraded system in my 45e sounds just about as good. I'm actually really surprised and happy with how good it does sound.

Installation tips: Order a set of plastic trim tools from Amazon. Best $15 you'll spend. Watch the videos a couple of times. Be slow and careful with pulling the door panels, carefully reset the clips and the door panels will literally reseat themselves. (very nice piece of design)
Put a towel down in the bottom of the rear well before you start taking screws out. It will save you time fishing for any hardware that you drop (a lot of time). The bimmertech video tells you to have a 10mm socket, you also need an 8mm socket.

Most important thing of all is to enjoy your new ride. I've been driving Audi's for the last 20 years (01 A4 Avant and 09 Q7) and my 45e is the best car that I've owned so far.

Last edited by RC_Hund; 01-10-2022 at 10:57 AM..
Appreciate 2
Makefish118.50
cellarrat517.00
      01-07-2022, 09:50 PM   #10
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Hund View Post
The stock head unit and signal processing is actually very good. I stream lossless audio through it and it is crisp and clear. I use both internet sources and a half terabyte USB drive that I put in the center console.
is it really lossless, though? wireless streaming converts down to 16b/44.1 - 48k. for your lossless USB tracks, you'd need an external DAC tapped into the unit via analog to get true lossless sound out of the speakers because the BMW internal DAC isn't capable of lossless
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 08:46 PM   #11
sonjack
Rep

Great information and I like the idea of a phased approach with the AMP first and then figure out the speaker situation. That's where I am trending at this point. Good stuff and much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 09:31 PM   #12
Silver64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 G05 45e

Quote:
Great information and I like the idea of a phased approach with the AMP first and then figure out the speaker situation. That's where I am trending at this point. Good stuff and much appreciated.
I feel the same… but finding the amp now???
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 02:06 PM   #13
sonjack
Rep

Good point! Its like getting my car in production! I believe the amp is a Fischer Tech amp resold by Bimmertech and available elsewhere. I have always had great luck with Alpine amps...but not much mention of that on this forum and it is not PNP so I am sure more involved. It's a tough time to get much of anything!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 05:11 PM   #14
Flyhogz
Rep
Drives: Xdrive45e

I installed the Match 7DSP and added a JL 750/1 mono amp with a IDMax 12 sub in my 45e today. After a little time alignment, crossover teaking, and removing the center/rear channels, the stage and clarity are pretty impressive with the stock speakers. My plan is to eventually go fully active and upgrade the door mids, but I might stick with this setup for the time being. SQ or bust.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 03:51 AM   #15
RichTimpa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdavid View Post
I recently had the Bimmertech speakers, subs, and amp installed. It made a significant difference. Definitely an improvement over the base X5 and even over the HK audio I had in my previous car, an M2. Much clearer audio and no distortion as volume increases.

The installer I hired installed the amp first and he said just doing that made a big difference by itself.

If I were doing it over I would probably buy the Bimmertech amp first and install it and see if that was good enough. But I do have a feeling swapping out the subs and tweeters made a difference as well.
I also did the whole Bimmertech upgrade with both the amp and all speakers.

I can't believe how amazing it now sounds. Everyone that now hears it is blown away.

I also can't say enough about the speakers. Excellent quality and new magnets. Comparison between the speakers I took out and the new ones makes the original ones look like crap.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 11:07 AM   #16
RC_Hund
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Good point! Its like getting my car in production! I believe the amp is a Fischer Tech amp resold by Bimmertech and available elsewhere. I have always had great luck with Alpine amps...but not much mention of that on this forum and it is not PNP so I am sure more involved. It's a tough time to get much of anything!
The amp is a rebranded Audiotec-Fischer PP 86DSP, but what you are paying for is the integration work that has been done for you by bimmer-tech. Bracket, cables, tuning profiles and support. Each channel is tuned for your specified model of vehicle.

Something that is occasionally mentioned is that with the 45e is the various system gongs/bongs are fed through the "head unit" and are amplified with any other audio being played through the system. I haven't dug into the settings yet, but understand that the default setting for overall volume as bimmertech supplies the amp in on the low end. It's fine for me, but others might want to tweak this setting.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 11:51 AM   #17
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Something that is occasionally mentioned is that with the 45e is the various system gongs/bongs are fed through the "head unit" and are amplified with any other audio being played through the system
i have the 45e and set the gongs to lowest. their volumes do not increase when media volumes increase. is that what you're referring to?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 01:39 PM   #18
Szupreme
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Quote:
Something that is occasionally mentioned is that with the 45e is the various system gongs/bongs are fed through the "head unit" and are amplified with any other audio being played through the system
i have the 45e and set the gongs to lowest. their volumes do not increase when media volumes increase. is that what you're referring to?
NzTiZia, did you upgrade your amp or is it stock?

Believe other users have reported that when upgrading the amp in their X5s to Match UP7 DSP or PP 86DSP (aka bimmer tech), all the warning / turn signal / other menu related noises increased in volume and had to be turned down in the menu options or tuning (which would then bring down media volume also).

Curious if you upgraded your amp and were able to get great media sound but similar warning / turn signal noises.
Appreciate 1
RC_Hund61.00
      01-10-2022, 03:55 PM   #19
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szupreme View Post
NzTiZia, did you upgrade your amp or is it stock?

Believe other users have reported that when upgrading the amp in their X5s to Match UP7 DSP or PP 86DSP (aka bimmer tech), all the warning / turn signal / other menu related noises increased in volume and had to be turned down in the menu options or tuning (which would then bring down media volume also).

Curious if you upgraded your amp and were able to get great media sound but similar warning / turn signal noises.
ah, so RC_Hund was referring to this phenomenon after upgrading the amp from the HiFi system? ok, thanks for the clarification.

no, i have the stock HK system.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 10:09 AM   #20
ATLGeek007
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I installed the bimmertech amp/dsp over the weekend and I haven't noticed system sounds being much louder. The startup sound is a little louder but not a lot, and the turn signals are very much the same as they used to be.
Appreciate 2
      01-11-2022, 10:16 AM   #21
Szupreme
Rep
Drives: NA

Know this will be subjective but has anyone done a side by side comparison of Match PP 86 DSP (Bimmertech) vs Match UP7 DSP / MEC-A when driving stock hifi?

With audio, hard to just look at stats and wattage so curious if anyone has heard both and could put into words any major differences in clarity, volume, side effects (the turn signal volume for example).
Appreciate 1
Greg87611.00
      01-11-2022, 11:59 AM   #22
Ropax5
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e and 2020 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLGeek007 View Post
I installed the bimmertech amp/dsp over the weekend and I haven't noticed system sounds being much louder. The startup sound is a little louder but not a lot, and the turn signals are very much the same as they used to be.
I noticed the difference at first but not any longer now that its been a few weeks since the switch. My wife actually asked me yesterday if I lowered the volume.
Appreciate 0