BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-12-2022, 03:00 PM   #1
bmwauug
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC

Coder

Hi all,

Newly acquired X5 I’m looking to tweak (can’t resist) - lots of options on coders - seems bimmercode is the way to go. Thought I’d as options / feedback - any guidance on the “best” coder appreciated.
      01-12-2022, 04:51 PM   #2
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

I have Esys and Bimmercode. Since I got Bimmercode, I haven't pulled out the laptop with Esys a single time - Bimmercode has been able to do all of the tweaking I have wanted.

Get Bimmercode and the recommended adapter for your phone (Android or IOS) and start with that. You'll be able to change most things that are codeable (not all but most). Its unlikely you will need to go any further than that.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 06:07 PM   #3
bmwauug
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
I have Esys and Bimmercode. Since I got Bimmercode, I haven't pulled out the laptop with Esys a single time - Bimmercode has been able to do all of the tweaking I have wanted.

Get Bimmercode and the recommended adapter for your phone (Android or IOS) and start with that. You'll be able to change most things that are codeable (not all but most). Its unlikely you will need to go any further than that.
Helpful - thank you. Any guidance on adapters - there are many listed.
      01-12-2022, 06:15 PM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwauug View Post
Any guidance on adapters - there are many listed.
can't go wrong with the CX. it was made in collaboration with BimmerCode.

TLDR, there are 3 ways to connect: wired, wifi, bluetooth where data transfer speed is fastest to slowest, respectively, and some would argue the data connection is less to more stable in that order. with my iPhone 12 Pro, I use either the CX (bluetooth) or MHD (wifi). i use the CX if coding a few things and the MHD if coding lots of stuff.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 07:36 PM   #5
bmwauug
Major
Rep

Ok ! If nothing else, stop start memory is worth it alone
      01-13-2022, 02:45 AM   #6
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2020 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post

Agree with mobilejo at least you can save your current setup in Esys and if necessary reset the ECU's back to factory setting before going to dealer for service/repair in BC this is painful process especially if you change phones iPad and don't do backups beforehand
      01-13-2022, 06:36 AM   #7
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambazonke View Post
[…]reset the ECU's back to factory setting before going to dealer for service/repair in BC this is painful process especially if you change phones iPad and don't do backups beforehand
BC automatically makes a backup file each time you code a module, but yeah, I don't think we can offload the files if one's phone/tablet crashed or if upgrading devices.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 06:41 AM   #8
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
bmwauug ,

I've been dabbling in coding for some time. I started with E-Sys, ProLauncher & PszdData on my laptop, using an ENet cable (a LAN cable with an OBDII connector on one end & a LAN/RJ on the other). Since BMW trims the data files (basically, taking out names, explanations & the like), you have to use a program that "maps" all of that information back in. Unfortunately, the creator of ProLauncher has dropped out.

I got Bimmercode with MX+ OBDII adapter initially; this combination worked fine & as a side benefit allows use of other stuff, it's VERY SLOW. Subsequently, I found a USB-C to LAN adapter (on Amazon) & once setup, is fast and it's easy to use. The only downside to this approach is Bimmercode doesn't allow you to code a few modules. I found a new alternative to ProLauncher, E-SysX, a very good "mapper" that works on PC & isn't free. I've heard that some folks have had problems getting it

Sorry for the length of this note. Bottom line: Bimmercode with ENet cable & adapter is excellent way to get going in coding

Hope that helps!

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 1
bmwauug248.50
      01-13-2022, 09:12 AM   #9
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambazonke View Post
[…]reset the ECU's back to factory setting before going to dealer for service/repair in BC this is painful process especially if you change phones iPad and don't do backups beforehand
BC automatically makes a backup file each time you code a module, but yeah, I don't think we can offload the files if one's phone/tablet crashed or if upgrading devices.
On iOS, Bimmercode backups can be found and copied, downloaded, and uploaded using Files app. See below. I haven't investigated, but I suspect Android is similar and easier than iOS. But test before relying on this as moving Bimmercode backups around is an obscure operation. Bimmercode Stephen can provide guidance if needed.
Attached Images

mmm50i396.00
      01-13-2022, 02:10 PM   #10
mmm50i
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i & '23 Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
can't go wrong with the CX. it was made in collaboration with BimmerCode.

TLDR, there are 3 ways to connect: wired, wifi, bluetooth where data transfer speed is fastest to slowest, respectively, and some would argue the data connection is less to more stable in that order. with my iPhone 12 Pro, I use either the CX (bluetooth) or MHD (wifi). i use the CX if coding a few things and the MHD if coding lots of stuff.
I've got the CX too, it's cheap and reliable. A bit slow, but it'll get you the same results for a lower price!
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4635.50
      01-13-2022, 05:54 PM   #11
bmwauug
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
bmwauug ,

I've been dabbling in coding for some time. I started with E-Sys, ProLauncher & PszdData on my laptop, using an ENet cable (a LAN cable with an OBDII connector on one end & a LAN/RJ on the other). Since BMW trims the data files (basically, taking out names, explanations & the like), you have to use a program that "maps" all of that information back in. Unfortunately, the creator of ProLauncher has dropped out.

I got Bimmercode with MX+ OBDII adapter initially; this combination worked fine & as a side benefit allows use of other stuff, it's VERY SLOW. Subsequently, I found a USB-C to LAN adapter (on Amazon) & once setup, is fast and it's easy to use. The only downside to this approach is Bimmercode doesn't allow you to code a few modules. I found a new alternative to ProLauncher, E-SysX, a very good "mapper" that works on PC & isn't free. I've heard that some folks have had problems getting it

Sorry for the length of this note. Bottom line: Bimmercode with ENet cable & adapter is excellent way to get going in coding

Hope that helps!
Thanks, and it does. I reached out the Bimmercode and they recommend the MX cable...
      01-13-2022, 09:46 PM   #12
maximking
Banned
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
bmwauug ,

Hope that helps!
Right now Esysx also is out of discussion as one of developpers died.
2022 comes only with two solution viables : Bimmercode and Esys plus (thank God) they have latest mapping done .i use Esys Plus over 3 years never had issues even on latest models
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 11:57 AM   #13
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximking View Post
2022 comes only with two solution viables : Bimmercode and Esys plus (thank God) they have latest mapping done .i use Esys Plus over 3 years never had issues even on latest models
Where's the best place to get Esys Plus?
      01-14-2022, 12:55 PM   #14
maximking
Banned
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVR4 View Post
Where's the best place to get Esys Plus?
pm me i can help you instal with original license
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 02:26 PM   #15
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i/G05 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximking View Post
Quote:
bmwauug ,

Hope that helps!
Does esys plus let you FDL code on the g05 with latest istep? Where do you get esys plus?

I contacted esysx to buy their software but they said I'd have to wait for their cloud version.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 05:18 PM   #16
2dangerous
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwauug View Post
Thanks, and it does. I reached out the Bimmercode and they recommend the MX cable...
Can you post the link for iOS device? I have iPhone and iPad Pro, so trying to see what’s the best route for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 08:02 PM   #17
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i/G05 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dangerous View Post
Can you post the link for iOS device? I have iPhone and iPad Pro, so trying to see what’s the best route for me.
I use the CX on iOS, but it looks to be sold out. It is slow, but it worked for the few things I coded. https://bimmercode.app/ has links to their other OBD adapters. They currently still have the MX+, but its 2x the price of the CX at $120. The iOS app is another ~$38
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2022, 07:11 AM   #18
bmwauug
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dangerous View Post
https://www.obdlink.com/products/obd...ref=bimmercode