BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-10-2021, 01:28 PM   #23
mmm50i
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i & '23 Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD1000 View Post
I took delivery of a 2022 M50i with premium enhanced package (Canada). No wireless charging and no credit offered. Why? Chip shortage. What else was missing?

No Homelink Mirror (No credit offered)
No heated/cooled cup holders

For some reason I don't have "Adaptive" setting for driver profile either.
I have a MY22 10/2021 build, I'm from Canada as well.

I was missing wireless charging and wifi hotspot.

I did get heated/cooled cup holders and the homelink(this is a $300cdn option for MY22 models).
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 02:07 PM   #24
TGTBTU
TGTBTU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 X-drive M40i

Know what makes me shake my head? My 2020 VW Jetta ($28k) comes with a charging pad. And, it's still being offered on this vehicle.

So, is it fair to conclude that VW handled the chip shortage better than BMW?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 08:07 PM   #25
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGTBTU View Post
Know what makes me shake my head? My 2020 VW Jetta ($28k) comes with a charging pad. And, it's still being offered on this vehicle.

It's because BMW charging pad includes NFC for the card reader. It's a customized part.
      01-16-2022, 02:11 PM   #26
BMW and me
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6

Wireless charging and compensator retrofit

I have successfully retrofitted charging pad in my X6 which was delivered without it, luckily NFC pad was fitted and it was very easy job. Not even need to remove console, bank card pushed on the edge of the NFC reader was enough to remove it. Plug was easy to disconnect. Used Bimmercode to have warning about forgotten phone and it works as expected. But reception is not the best and I hve done some experiments by adding compensator(amplifier) , I have done simple test by adding "ENABLE" wire from charger to the compensator, connecting antenna lead between charger and compensator and connecting simple antenna to the compensator. But result was disappointing, no improvement , the same weak signal. Does anyone retrofitted compensator and has better than my experience? If is no improvement I don't any reason to pull wires across the car but assume that when BMW added compensator I should see better reception?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 02:27 PM   #27
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGTBTU View Post

I think the problem is related to the cellular booster module not actual wireless charging or NFC pad
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 03:16 PM   #28
shatty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 6MT Alpine White

I was wondering if anyone know what it looks like inside the NFC pad? I have a '22 and no wireless charging. I wanted to take the NFC pad out and put in a small MAGSAFE charger right in the middle and hardwire it to the fuse box. I dont want to remove the pad and cut a hole in the middle and find circuits or electronics in the middle of the pad. Other option is to install a thin wireless charging pad on top of the NFC pad.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-m...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/mophie-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.gamestop.com/consoles-ha...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
      01-19-2022, 04:01 PM   #29
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

I get we love new and nifty gadgets, but I just don't see the allure of wireless charging. Smartphone batteries last long enough that you don't need to toss it on a charger every time you get in your car (its bad for the battery too). Wireless charging is slow and can't keep up battery drain when in use, especially battery sucking apps like Waze. Plus there are plenty of stories with phones overheating on wireless chargers. I would be happy to have the storage cubby instead of a wireless charger in my car.
      01-19-2022, 05:31 PM   #30
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatty View Post
I was wondering if anyone know what it looks like inside the NFC pad? I have a '22 and no wireless charging. I wanted to take the NFC pad out and put in a small MAGSAFE charger right in the middle and hardwire it to the fuse box. I dont want to remove the pad and cut a hole in the middle and find circuits or electronics in the middle of the pad. Other option is to install a thin wireless charging pad on top of the NFC pad.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-m...8;gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/mophie-...8;gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.gamestop.com/consoles-ha...8;gclsrc=aw.ds
I took apart the Wireless/NFC charger. It forms the floor of that area. There are a couple of DIY solutions for this but honestly it's not worth doing. I suggest a low profile 12V to USB socket.
      06-23-2022, 02:35 PM   #31
Hyura
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Successful retrofit of wireless charging pad

I just got a 2019 x5 that only had NFC above the cup holder.

I ordered this part:
https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...ce-84105a1db18

You will also need:
- BimmerCode (I have an iPhone)
- OBD Reader (I used an OBDLink CX https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-Bimme.../dp/B08NFLL3NT)

This wireless charger is apparently a newer version of the wireless charger and it works perfectly.

In terms of installing it, I just used a pry tool and insert it on the bottom right of the nfc pad. Once I managed to fit the tip of the pry tool in the gap and lift, slide up along the right side of the pad and it should just pop right off.

Unplug the cable to the nfc pad and plug it into the new wireless charging pad. Before installing the wireless charging pad, I would recommend you code the headunit first, enabling the wireless charging pad.

Using BimmerCode and your choice of obd reader, I just changed the following settings: (Make sure you back up before coding)

1. BDC -> WcaWirelessChargingAblage->WCA_ENABLE-> aktiv
2. HU_MGU -> 3000 HMI_SPEECH -> WCA -> aktic

Code the two changes into the car, restart the car and under car settings, you should see the wireless charger option. You can enable the 'phone left behind' reminder if you want.

Verify the phone is indeed charging on the wireless charger before installing. Insert the wireless charging pad into where the old nfc tag was located. For my, the small blue light was on the right of pad.

Last edited by Hyura; 06-23-2022 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: Added links
Appreciate 2
mlurker145.50
t_dub8.00
      06-30-2022, 12:14 PM   #32
clubrcr
Rep
Drives: 8 series, X5

I have been searching for an alternative to the OEM retrofit cost and looked OEM. I found this. It is simple, works well and was a breeze to install.

https://www.amazon.com/Braveking1-Wi...ve%2C67&sr=1-4
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 02:01 PM   #33
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubrcr View Post
I have been searching for an alternative to the OEM retrofit cost and looked OEM. I found this. It is simple, works well and was a breeze to install.

thats actually quite cool! might purchase that for a second charger

anyone know what the OEM charges at? is it also 15w?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 02:05 PM   #34
elite-fusion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Also, half the price on Ali
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256804091946516.html
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 12:18 PM   #35
clubrcr
Rep
Drives: 8 series, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-fusion View Post
Search and check prices. When I bought mine it was about this same price as this link from aliexpress. I only put this link on here to give everyone an option to view.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 08:51 AM   #36
t_dub
Australia
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i, F87 M2 Comp, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyura View Post
I just got a 2019 x5 that only had NFC above the cup holder.

I ordered this part:
https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...ce-84105a1db18

You will also need:
- BimmerCode (I have an iPhone)
- OBD Reader (I used an OBDLink CX https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-Bimme.../dp/B08NFLL3NT)

This wireless charger is apparently a newer version of the wireless charger and it works perfectly.

In terms of installing it, I just used a pry tool and insert it on the bottom right of the nfc pad. Once I managed to fit the tip of the pry tool in the gap and lift, slide up along the right side of the pad and it should just pop right off.

Unplug the cable to the nfc pad and plug it into the new wireless charging pad. Before installing the wireless charging pad, I would recommend you code the headunit first, enabling the wireless charging pad.

Using BimmerCode and your choice of obd reader, I just changed the following settings: (Make sure you back up before coding)

1. BDC -> WcaWirelessChargingAblage->WCA_ENABLE-> aktiv
2. HU_MGU -> 3000 HMI_SPEECH -> WCA -> aktic

Code the two changes into the car, restart the car and under car settings, you should see the wireless charger option. You can enable the 'phone left behind' reminder if you want.

Verify the phone is indeed charging on the wireless charger before installing. Insert the wireless charging pad into where the old nfc tag was located. For my, the small blue light was on the right of pad.
Does this still retain the NFC feature for the digital key?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 09:00 AM   #37
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-fusion View Post
anyone know what the OEM charges at? is it also 15w?
more like 5W
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 09:42 AM   #38
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_dub View Post
Does this still retain the NFC feature for the digital key?
the NFC feature has never been missing even when wireless charging was. the only reason for the coding after DIY installation is to get the "phone reminder" option back in the settings
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 08:06 PM   #39
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubrcr View Post

i really like this device. it adds a second wireless charger on the right side while retaining my current NFC and wireless charger on the left side (though i don't use the latter), BUT because its powered by plugging into the 12V adapter, i lose a second USB connection in my current setup (USB-A for dashcam, USB-C for mounted MagSafe charger)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 12:30 AM   #40
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
I get we love new and nifty gadgets, but I just don't see the allure of wireless charging. Smartphone batteries last long enough that you don't need to toss it on a charger every time you get in your car .

Lucky you. My phone dies pretty quickly. I have a faulty radio module that drains battery - the replacement cost is high vs phone value (samsung galaxy s10, 3 year old phone). But because of MST (feature that let me pay on 99% of terminals that don't support NFC and wireless payments) I'm not willing to replace this phone with anything else. A wireless charger is a good alternative to wired charger I have now, cleaner look overall.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 05:08 PM   #41
chefwong
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

In my limited experience in this car...it runs HOT with wireless charing, running Waze, IPP 13.

Heat is no bueno on batteries. I'd keep it old stool and use a -cable- to keep it charged IMO
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 09:54 PM   #42
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlurker View Post
Lucky you. My phone dies pretty quickly. I have a faulty radio module that drains battery - the replacement cost is high vs phone value (samsung galaxy s10, 3 year old phone). But because of MST (feature that let me pay on 99% of terminals that don't support NFC and wireless payments) I'm not willing to replace this phone with anything else. A wireless charger is a good alternative to wired charger I have now, cleaner look overall.
Understandable and good feature to have, but if your phone dies quickly you would likely get a faster charge from a cable than wireless charger, helping to keep you charged up. Don't know if your phone gets hot like many iPhones on wireless charging, but if that's the case you aren't helping your battery life. If you love the phone so much, why don't just replace the battery?
And is it really that hard to pull a credit card out of your pocket?
      07-12-2022, 09:11 AM   #43
Makefish
Ex Moddy
United Kingdom
Rep

It's interesting that so many want Wireless charging in their G05's but I'm the opposite, the phone get's so hot I would like to disable it yet still use the storage area for my phone.

Can anyone point me to either how to physically disconnect the wiring or providw a coding soluiton?
X5 45e in Arctic Grey with Merino Leather, Technology Plus Pack, Comfort Pack, M Sport Pro Pack, Shadow Line Pack, Sky Lounge, Acoustic Glass, Tow Bar, Sun Protection Glass, Sky Lounge, Carbon Mirror Caps and Laser Lights.

Last edited by Makefish; 07-12-2022 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 09:54 AM   #44
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Understandable and good feature to have, but if your phone dies quickly you would likely get a faster charge from a cable than wireless charger, helping to keep you charged up. Don't know if your phone gets hot like many iPhones on wireless charging, but if that's the case you aren't helping your battery life. If you love the phone so much, why don't just replace the battery?
It's not getting hot from the wireless charger (tried both in tesla and in different X5). Battery has been replaced already.

While the wireless charger is less optimal on a short distance (as it's slower vs cable), on a longer trips it helps to reduce number of cables in that area and makes it cleaner.

Quote:
And is it really that hard to pull a credit card out of your pocket?
laziness is the engine of progress and it's easier to pay with something I already hold in my hands (phone, or watch). And the WOW factor - when the payment goes through on non NFC terminal, the cashier's reaction is priceless.
Appreciate 0