BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-01-2021, 10:54 PM   #23
bceye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

First day after getting the car, lane steering intervention tried to kill me twice on the highway 101.

Driving completely straight, it suddenly and forcefully steered the car into the next lane. I was shocked but I was paying attention to the road and was able to counter and correct. Several minutes later, it did the exact same thing, but this time to the opposite lane. I was horrified.

Lots of work on 101, and they change/move lanes frequently. New lane markings are there, but there is residue from old ones.

Turning it off and it is going to stay off.
Appreciate 2
thereef5101163.00
GrussGott18113.00
      09-01-2021, 11:30 PM   #24
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bceye View Post
First day after getting the car, lane steering intervention tried to kill me twice on the highway 101.

Driving completely straight, it suddenly and forcefully steered the car into the next lane. I was shocked but I was paying attention to the road and was able to counter and correct. Several minutes later, it did the exact same thing, but this time to the opposite lane. I was horrified.

Lots of work on 101, and they change/move lanes frequently. New lane markings are there, but there is residue from old ones.

While it has never yet veered me onto traffic, I usually enable navigation to my destination even if it's a familiar one. It seems to augment the gps data along with the road data to provide a more seamless experience
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 10:40 AM   #25
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

I shut off the steering intervention almost immediately after picking up my car. The road markings in some of the places I drive are lousy so I found it was more work (extra alertness required) for me to undo the un-needed interventions than just driving the car normally. I still have the vibration on though. I do not recall exactly but I think the genius had set it to medium. I may try setting it to early to see if I like it that way.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 06:02 AM   #26
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

I only have 500 miles on my car, but I'm going to stick with it for a while. I am getting to like it more as I get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 08:52 PM   #27
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:

thanks for the heads up, i drive 101 all the time
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 11:47 PM   #28
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:

thanks for the heads up, i drive 101 all the time
It's my daily commute
      10-13-2021, 02:18 PM   #29
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
steering intervention is purportedly 'better' with firmware 07/2021. * fingers crossed *
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 09:47 PM   #30
s4iscool
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
steering intervention is purportedly 'better' with firmware 07/2021. * fingers crossed *
What's the latest on this? I'd hate to pay for the feature that really could save you but instead causes the danger!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 07:26 PM   #31
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4iscool View Post
What's the latest on this? I'd hate to pay for the feature that really could save you but instead causes the danger!
I've put over 1000 miles on ours since the update. Here's my view:

For the Cruise Control with Steering where the car auto steers to the center of the lane (and changes lanes on command), it works very well. It will on occasion not be able to discern the lane markings at which time it will flash the yellow wheel at you to tell you to steer. This isn't often and typically recovers in a few seconds.

It does better on curves than on the older build. And it works really well if you have a route enabled in Nav as it can use the route to improve guidance. One caveat is that it keeps the car centered in the lane. Most drivers tend towards the inside of the lane on curves, so this can be disconcerting. Overall, I consider this a great benefit. It definitely reduces fatigue on long drives.

If you're not using cruise control, the lane departure warning isn't noticeably different from before. If you have intervention on, it can pick some odd times to intervene. I noticed it was particularly annoying going through intersections on multi-lane roads where the lanes aren't perfectly aligned and there are left turn markings in the middle of the intersection. And as the OP pointed out, it doesn't like construction zones where there are new and old lane markings visible.

I keep the Steering Intervention turned off. The vibration on the wheel is enough to alert me when I'm wrong and it's easy to ignore when it's not really helping.

Gerry
      01-08-2022, 07:35 PM   #32
s4iscool
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Thanks Gerry. So in short, the extra $ features of auto steering arent being used. Would you pay for the pro package again?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 07:56 PM   #33
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Thanks Gerry. So in short, the extra $ features of auto steering arent being used. Would you pay for the pro package again?
I think you may be confusing the lane keeping with steering intervention with the cruise with steering and lane control. What he said is the later does very well which is the consensus of people who have it. What he has turned off is the steering intervention option in the lane keeping assist.

In my opinion the Driving Assistance Professional package is a must have. Not only for the driving assist features but also for the extra safety features that you get.
      01-10-2022, 04:34 PM   #34
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Keeping in your lane on a curve (well, any time, actually) is something I see messed up by lots of drivers. When living in Germany, my boss got two tickets one weekend when his wheels touched the centerline going around a curve. They're very rigid about following the rules!

It can be a little disconcerting, as I agree, many people including myself tend to not always drive in the center on multi-lane roads to get a little more distance between myself and others...doesn't work when you're in the middle of a 3 or more lane wide path, though.

This was on an older release, but I was on a trip on the interstate driving in the outside lane of a curve...a tractor trailer crowded my lane...the X5 alerted me to that and moved over to make room. Now, I wish HE'D had something to keep him in his lane, but the computer, sensors, and processing protected me.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 02:34 PM   #35
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks Gerry. So in short, the extra $ features of auto steering aren't being used. Would you pay for the pro package again?
Absolutely. The steering works great in advanced cruise and stop and go on the highway. It keeps you in the lane with almost no effort on your part. Signal a lane change and it will execute it perfectly (assuming there's no one in the lane, it won't change lanes until the lane is clear.) It definitely reduces fatigue on a long highway drive.

The advanced stop & go works well, but I don't do a lot of driving where it's needed. But the few times I have, it's worked very well.

What doesn't work so well is steering intervention on the lane departure warning. In that mode, you are driving. If it senses you crossing a lane boundary without signaling, it generates a warning -- vibration in the wheel. With steering intervention on, it will 'push' the steering to move you back in your lane and then disengage.

If you're inattentive and drifting off, it's likely a good thing. If you're actively driving, it can be annoying. As I said, it tends to get confused by intersections where lanes change widths or are not aligned. There are also those times where I'm over the line to avoid a jerk in the lane next to me. So I just leave intervention off.

Gerry
      01-17-2022, 07:31 PM   #36
JIMOLDFED
USN Vet
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i

Another excellent thread for us new guys. Thanks to all. Jim
Appreciate 0