BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-19-2021, 08:46 PM   #23
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 x40i M Sport

Hmmm, I’m not a car stereo guy but I believe for the BMW base hifi the Match dsp mac is in addition to the factory amp in the head unit. Because of this it uses speaker level inputs to capture and amplify the signals. This is handled by the BMW specific wire harness you need that goes between the head unit RAM interface and the match up amp. The HK systems are different, they do allow for an amp replacement using RCA low level inputs. You can see this in the installation guide wiring diagrams. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Last edited by VertigoAtHome; 06-19-2021 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 11:50 PM   #24
NitenD
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 FY15

Check this video out.

Probably the best way I can explain what the sound technician did with my car.

(Note: I'm no expert in this so I don't have all the answers to it. This video was the way he summed it up to me)

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 12:03 PM   #25
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

While this is generally what happens, this isn't exactly how the the G05 with base HiFi works. See my earlier post #10. The Match UP 7BMW component doesn't work for the G05, it only works for earlier X5's that have a separate amp. That said, as you see in the video it's a very easy DIY install. However as other threads/forums have stated you need to tune the the DSP to dial down ASD, balance the signals to match the speakers, and focus the sound on the front seat/driver. I'm not sure how difficult that is for those who have never done it which might drive them to a qualified installer.

BTW, this is a response I received from my inquire to the Audiotec US Distributor MSC America on what works with the G05 with base HiFi:

"We use the UP7DSP-MEC A with the PP-BMW 1.7 RAM harness. The UP7DSP-MEC A has 2 extra channels of input needed for the BMW RAM System. The installation is mostly plug and play, the only thing that you’ll need to do is run a power and ground from the battery which is in the back of the car anyway."
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 02:22 PM   #26
BMW_Kama'aina
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x35i and X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoAtHome View Post
While this is generally what happens, this isn't exactly how the the G05 with base HiFi works. See my earlier post #10. The Match UP 7BMW component doesn't work for the G05, it only works for earlier X5's that have a separate amp. That said, as you see in the video it's a very easy DIY install. However as other threads/forums have stated you need to tune the the DSP to dial down ASD, balance the signals to match the speakers, and focus the sound on the front seat/driver. I'm not sure how difficult that is for those who have never done it which might drive them to a qualified installer.

BTW, this is a response I received from my inquire to the Audiotec US Distributor MSC America on what works with the G05 with base HiFi:

"We use the UP7DSP-MEC A with the PP-BMW 1.7 RAM harness. The UP7DSP-MEC A has 2 extra channels of input needed for the BMW RAM System. The installation is mostly plug and play, the only thing that you’ll need to do is run a power and ground from the battery which is in the back of the car anyway."
Thank you. Very helpful response!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 02:25 PM   #27
BMW_Kama'aina
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x35i and X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitenD View Post
Check this video out.

Probably the best way I can explain what the sound technician did with my car.

(Note: I'm no expert in this so I don't have all the answers to it. This video was the way he summed it up to me)

Thank you! I saw this too….only difference is that the Match UP7DSP-MEC A in combination with the PP-BMW 1.7 RAM Harness as recommended by VertigoAtHome. I really appreciate everyone’s input.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 04:27 PM   #28
mobsync
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

subscribed
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 12:19 PM   #29
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Anyone know what the ohm rating is for the G05 OEM base HiFi under-seat woofer? I've heard it's 8 ohms but that might be previous generations.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 04:47 PM   #30
madunn007
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5e

The guys at Bavsound told me it was 2ohm. Not an audio expert but pretty sure that assumes you are keeping the HiFi amp. See below...

==========

That's correct! The Hifi systems take the 2 ohm subs. Here's the link to the ones you should get:

https://www.bavsound.com/products/bm...ofer-pair-2ohm
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 05:51 PM   #31
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks @madunn007 , I’m actually doing an amp upgrade and sorting whether I should do the subs. If they are 2ohms it’s not clear how much impact changing them will be. Especially since I’m using a Match UP amp and thinking about a dedicated sub. Sort of how best to spread my budget kind of thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 05:39 PM   #32
madunn007
United_States
Rep

Hi everyone....was looking starting my journey out of HiFi with a Match amp upgrade. The guys at Crutchfield said they couldn't recommend that amp for the X5 PHEV because its draw is too much (50a vs recommended 30a maximum). He further said to check with an installer or the dealer to if it would be able to take that power load and that they may not have enough experience with it.

Said it would fit but wouldn't recommend it for a hybrid vehicle. Any thoughts??

EDITED: 50a not 60

Last edited by madunn007; 07-22-2021 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 06:45 PM   #33
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm in the process of installing the Match UP 7DSP/MEC amp. I was working on it today actually, and discovered that the wire harness had a broken connector so they are sending me a new one. That said, I'm using a 50 amp fuse per the manual with 8 gauge for the power/ground wires. I can't speak to the draw that happens while the car is running but I'd be surprised that's an issue. The potential issue that is discussed in the installation guide is with auto start/stop of the amp. The amp has the ability to turn on/off when it senses a signal. It's tunable, in my case 30 sec, but I'm not sure when that clock starts. BMWs can leave equipment active long after you've left the car. I'm expecting the speaker level signal is shut-down quickly for this to work. I will post my results when have I some.

Last edited by VertigoAtHome; 07-22-2021 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 2
      07-22-2021, 10:04 AM   #34
Security_IE
Not So New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135; 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by madunn007 View Post
Hi everyone....was looking starting my journey out of HiFi with a Match amp upgrade. The guys at Crutchfield said they couldn't recommend that amp for the X5 PHEV because its draw is too much (60a vs recommended 30a maximum). He further said to check with an installer or the dealer to if it would be able to take that power load and that they may not have enough experience with it.

Said it would fit but wouldn't recommend it for a hybrid vehicle. Any thoughts??
My 45e is supposed to arrive this week. Having been an installer professionally years ago, I've seen melted wiring and other issues from hack installs. The whole system for power needs to work together.

My understanding of the 45e is that there is a DC/DC convertor providing 12+ volts to all of the accessories from the high voltage batteries. I'll have to measure the actual voltage supplied. This would be similar to an alternator for an ICE setup, which does AC/DC conversion and typically supplies around 14.4 volts when running. I have not seen any detailed specifications, but the capacity of that convertor would be my biggest concern. AFAIK, the generator function of the motor only supplies power back to the high voltage battery system, so all 12v power must come from the DC/DC convertor. Please correct me if you have other details. Based on the labels, I believe the unit shown in the link below is handling AC/DC for the high voltage battery as well as DC/DC to the 12 volt system.

Short discussion on the 45e 12v charging system

You can easily calculate the wiring for a new amplifier and I would think any aftermarket amplifier that has a current draw within the same specification of a factory option should be fine.

Anyone have the values of the fuse for the HK system and the B&W, which I believe is available on the 45e outside the US? The other piece we need is an understanding of the amperage capacity of the DC/DC convertor.

I'm avoiding some deep technical discussion because I don't know the system to that level, but remember that something like an amplifier is drawing current. If all of the factory accessories and the amplifier draw more current than the convertor can supply, you risk damage to that convertor and possibly the 12v battery, even if the wiring is appropriate for the amplifier.

I know that Sirksael has a system in a 45e here
      07-22-2021, 11:52 AM   #35
madunn007
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback...useful stuff. From what the Crutchfield people said, there is no concern\warning on the ICE version. Also found that their guidance is general to hybrids (see link below).

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-7ZriWw...ur-hybrid.html

An exerpt:
As a general rule for hybrids, we recommend not exceeding a 30-ampere current draw on your battery, or a total output of 350 watts RMS from your audio system.

In digging through the back of the vehicle, it looks like the 'amp' is the all in one Receiver Audio Module (RAM) so the Match amp would not replace, but be installed in line using the BMW1.7 RAM harness. There is an HD radio sticker and no 'additional' amp to replace.

In that case, I think the power would be in addition to what is in there now. Good question on the HK and BW. Was trying to dig up the specs but no luck yet.

Vertigo, you are correct, 50a, not 60...my mistake, updated post.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 03:12 PM   #36
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I completed my Match 7DSP/MEC install. Will post results once I've had time to listen to it for a while. Only negative thing so far is the signal indicator and warning chime sounds are significantly louder even with them at the lowest setting in the sound menu. Anyone know if Bimmercode can adjust volume on these sounds?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 02:49 PM   #37
rockdahousedj
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

VertigoAtHome , do you have the HK system? I am curious where you locate the RAM to plug your harness in. I have the 2019 and got the 7DSP with the BMW1.7 harness. At first I panicked as I did not realized that the device I see when I open the side panel there is the HK amp and not the RAM. So I got really heartbroken that the harness didnt fit. But later understood that the HK has the RAM unit and AMP separate. That said I have no clue where it is located. Cannot really see it, unless I need to take that whole side panel off. Not too many tutorials and direction out there for the G05 surprisedly. Had plenty places to find stuff for the E70. Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 05:20 PM   #38
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I do have a HIFi 676. If you have a HK I believe you need the 7BMW amp… and no harness required. All connects in the right rear trunk panel. You can contact the Jason (jason@msc-america.com) at the US distributor for Audiotec and get a definitive answer. That’s what I did, tell him Bruce referred you. That said it’s a quick install, you will need to upload a sound settings file from Audiotec website which relieves you of having to program the DSP. I had a software problem that Jason resolved, but other than that all good.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 10:29 AM   #39
rockdahousedj
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

VertigoAtHome Many thanks for the input. So looks like I have option 688A. I used to have the Match 7BMW in my E70 which I setup myself and was a total breeze. My G05 needs the 7DSP because of the additional channels required. I have everything I need except for knowing the location of the RAM unit in my G05. The HK amp is located on the left side (facing the trunk) so I am been assuming that is where the RAM module would be. I will try looking on the right side of the trunk today. Mine doesn't have an easy access door on the right side as it does on the left in this car. The E70 used to. Will update if I make process. Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 10:57 AM   #40
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Interesting, didn't realize the G05 w/HK also used the RAM to connect an aftermarket amp, though you replaced the existing HK amp since it's separated from the tuner. In any event, good luck, think you'll like it.

A side note... I was planning on replacing my speakers but to be honest, the OEM ones are sounding pretty good now. In another thread that I follow, there is a pretty knowledgeable speaker designer who claims the base HiFi speakers are actually pretty good (contrary to what you hear people claim) but they don't have true crossovers (have a filter instead) and the PnP replacements are a modest to no improvement over the base speakers; the main problem is lack of power which causes the speakers to distort when you attempt to increase volume beyond low/medium levels. I was hesitant to modify my system since as he stated, I found the base HiFi really wasn't bad for most of the listening I do. But given the Match amp was easy to install I felt was worth a try; cost me around $1300 all in with amp power kit. Overall its a huge improvement. The midrange is still a bit weak and while the woofers are much more prominent now, I'd still like a bit more kick. I may replace them with Earthquake SWS 8Xis. Compared to other PnP woofers, at least on paper, they have significantly better specs and are the least expensive.

Last edited by VertigoAtHome; 07-30-2021 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 10:54 AM   #41
Security_IE
Not So New Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoAtHome View Post
Only negative thing so far is the signal indicator and warning chime sounds are significantly louder even with them at the lowest setting in the sound menu. Anyone know if Bimmercode can adjust volume on these sounds?
Having received my 45e last week, here are some observations I've made with the HiFi system.

1. The click for the turn signals is sent as output on the center and front left channels, which makes sense. This would make the sound audibly centered to the driver.

2. The sound level of the turn signal is static and independent of the audio volume, which would lead me to believe BMW is mixing it in after the amplifier stage.

3. Adding amplifiers that are 1 to 1 for each channel (left front in equals left front out, etc) will amplify the level of any warning sounds and turn signals sent from the factory amp on those channels along with the audio (music) content. You WILL have an increase in those indicator sounds. The sound should still stay at a specific volume, but the amplifier will add gain to the music and the indicators.

If I choose to add anything down the road, my plan will be as follows:

1. Do not increase the center channel. I'll leave this to the factory amp or dial down the gain of an amp for that channel and it will deliver the audio cues for signals and alerts at the factory level. I'm not a huge fan of center channels if they pull left and right signals and muddy the stereo separation, so I don't mind leaving this at a lower level. I've heard properly imaging cars using only left and right and they are quite impressive.

2. I'll look to use an alternative input for the front channels if possible. I have not looked into what each channel has for factory crossover points / filters. If the rear channel is full range, I would leverage an amplifier with DSP to take that rear signal for the front channels. That would eliminate fading capabilities from the system, but how often do you adjust the fader anyway. Set the gains to give a nice front level with rear fill and be done with it. Indicators for the vehicle would only come from the center speaker.

3. Install a decent set of aftermarket front door speakers with a real crossover between mid and tweeter.

In my opinion, this would give an upgrade to the sound quality without amplifying all of the other stuff BMW pipes through the speakers.

Your desire might be different. I'm just someone who spent years doing this for a living, installing everything from SPL vans with thousands of watts of power and racks of batteries to $40k+ sound quality competition vehicles. Hopefully this helps anyone looking to understand why throwing in a second amp after the factory system can throw off the signal from all of the non-musical content sent out to the speakers and give some ideas on how to get around it if you don't like it. If I ever decide to install a small system in my 45e, I'll post the process.

Happy listening!

Last edited by Security_IE; 08-01-2021 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: remove incorrect assumption
Appreciate 4
      08-01-2021, 02:50 PM   #42
madunn007
United_States
Rep

Interesting approach, thanks for posting. I am not looking for more power necessarily, but clearer sound at the higher listening levels. The main draw to me for the match 7up DSP amp is the DSP capability. From what I read, the amp uses an algorithm for the center channel to only reproduce sounds that are contained in both left and right channels and does so at a reduced level. Sounds solely produced by left or right signal won't be produced by center. Seems like a beginner's version of what you are looking to do. (and probably more in line with my capabilities)

I am still debating whether upgrading the amp (providing better signal and soundstage) or speakers is the way to go. Not looking to do both, just enough to improve the sound clarity when the windows are open and the music needs to be at higher levels to hear it clearly.

FYI....from all the research I have done (including BMW and aftermarket vendors), the under seat subs are 2ohms.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2021, 04:42 PM   #43
Security_IE
Not So New Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madunn007 View Post
FYI....from all the research I have done (including BMW and aftermarket vendors), the under seat subs are 2ohms.
Thank you for this. I went out and pulled the RAM to verify with a meter. Both sides measured 2.6 ohms. Purple/Yellow and Black/Green (front left) with White/Black and Blue/Gray (front right) seem to match the HK wiring diagram I've seen posted here. These wires are a larger gauge than the wires feeding the other speakers.

I ordered a base system in my 135 so that I could upgrade the system without worrying about integration. The factory woofers under the seats still sound good.
      08-02-2021, 01:34 PM   #44
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

FWIW, after listening to the 7DSP amp for over a week now, I have zero regrets, the signal/warning sounds are a bit loud but I'm over it and no way I'd give up the new amp to resolve that issue. As madunn007 stated, the center channel is a 50/50 mix of the left and right fronts, so Security_IE perhaps your idea of dialing down the center channel gain might reduce the volume even more. I've included a picture of the 7DSP tool mixer page so you see how they map the L+R channels into the center. But the warning chimes/signals are not much of a nuisance at this point.

Over the weekend I've enabled one of the sound setups to leverage some of the DSP special effects, in particular the Dynamic Bass Enhancement which increases the gain (I set it to 3db) at a chosen frequency (I'm at 40 Hz ), and I enabled the ClarityXpander for the fronts. This allows a bit more kick at the bottom and overall more impactful sound at lower volumes. Next step is to use the RTA to tune the overall frequencies to fit the car and speakers.

I wish there were better choices on PnP front component speakers but it looks there are only 3: Focal, Bavsound, and Bimmertech. Bavsound and Bimmertech don't publish their specifications and I don't believe they have real crossovers so it's hard to say what benefit I'd get from these now that I have the amp installed. That leaves Focal which does have separate crossovers but I'm not sure how much better they would be over the OEM speakers and I haven't found many reviews on the quality and sound of the BMW 100 line in the X5.

Ideally we could B&W's Diamond tweeter and mid speakers they use in front doors of the G05 package but I believe those use an active crossover built into the B&W DSP. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Attached Images

Last edited by VertigoAtHome; 08-03-2021 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 0