BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-31-2021, 01:37 PM   #23
VaztheDad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 45e, Model S, GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoAtHome View Post
EDIT: If you have the base HiFi I wanted to emphasize that I would add the Match amp before looking to upgrade to Focal speakers. While I believe the Focals are a nice upgrade, the amp really transformed the system from the base HiFi since the amp is the weakest component IMO.
I think there is a fair sized group of us wanting to order, but we're all holding out for HK or B&W. Your efforts might sway us.

Have you put together a component list of what all you upgraded, maybe in a better or best list so we could order now with HiFi and take all this gear to a local installer for the upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 08:26 PM   #24
Fe304rdu
Rep
Drives: '22 BMW X5 45e

May have missed it but has anyone installed the Match amp in the 45e? I’m confused about the rumors of power issues with the PHEV vs the ICE versions.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 02:55 PM   #25
mobsync
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe304rdu View Post
May have missed it but has anyone installed the Match amp in the 45e? I’m confused about the rumors of power issues with the PHEV vs the ICE versions.
I'm curious about this as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 04:00 AM   #26
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 x40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaztheDad View Post
I think there is a fair sized group of us wanting to order, but we're all holding out for HK or B&W. Your efforts might sway us.

Have you put together a component list of what all you upgraded, maybe in a better or best list so we could order now with HiFi and take all this gear to a local installer for the upgrade?
Not sure what else to say beyond what I've said across a number of posts on multiple threads. I'm running an Audiotec Match UP 7DSP/MEC with Focal BMW 100L speakers in the front doors. I just ordered the Focals for the rear doors and the center. I'm working through whether to replace the under-seat sub but things sound very good at this point, mostly concerned about damage now that I'm powering them each at 160/320w/ch. So far this has cost me around $2k. I did the install so no labor costs. I'm very happy with this system.

If I was using a professional, I'd install either the system above (~3-4 hr install) or better install an Alpine PDP-E800DSP amp with Focal K2s and Gladen Extreme under-seat 8" woofers powered by the Alpine or a dedicated 200w rms ch amp. You'll need to buy a Technicpnp harness kit to wire the amp into the factory harness. Good installers have CNC machines and 3D printers to create spacers and adapters for a PnP install. You could add a true subwoofer in spare tire well but from what I've read, correctly powering the right under-seat woofer is all you need. The first system is easy to install, but talk to your installer about the second one to ensure they are capable of installing it and can fit the xovers somewhere. My understanding is that the mids will fit in the door enclosures but need adapters so have your installer measure them to ensure they'll fit. FWIW, a respected local installer recommended this system and said it all works. The K2's are a significant step up from the BMW 100Ls and Alpine has a higher rms/ch (100w rms) to power them and with good woofers you'll have a killer sound system.

Last edited by VertigoAtHome; 09-02-2021 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18113.00
      09-05-2021, 06:53 PM   #27
GermanG05
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: X5 G05, A4 B9 Avant

If you used a pro-installer, this would require them to modify an adapter for easy integration, the crossovers would be difficult to hide within the doors.
Has anyone installed a 3-way system yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 07:42 PM   #28
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X5, '22 X5e

Quote:
I installed a Match amp recently and now I'm thinking about upgrading my HiFi speakers to Focal. ...
Vertigo, it doesn't sound like it, but I'd like to double check - did you have to run a separate power/ground wires to the amp to the battery? I hear the amp has a 50A fuse in line requirement or something and then existing wiring fuse is not 50A ... and then if its not, the power wiring may be too small of a gauge. Not 100% sure about the above, but I read this on one of the threads here.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 10:19 PM   #29
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pacey View Post
Vertigo, it doesn't sound like it, but I'd like to double check - did you have to run a separate power/ground wires to the amp to the battery? I hear the amp has a 50A fuse in line requirement or something and then existing wiring fuse is not 50A ... and then if its not, the power wiring may be too small of a gauge. Not 100% sure about the above, but I read this on one of the threads here.
You do need to add separate power/ground and the cabling isn't included with the amp. I bought the following from Knukonceptz for ~$28:

KFX8R Kolossus Fleks Kable 8 Gauge Red Power/Ground Wire
KFX8BK Kolossus Fleks Kable 8 Gauge Black Power/Ground Wire
RT8516R Gold Plated 8 Gauge Ring Terminal -Red (get 3/4 of these in case you mess up the crimp)
FH-44 In Line 4-8 Gauge Mini-ANL Fuse Holder with Fuse(includes fuse of your choice, select Type 1 - 50A)
MANL-50 Mini ANL (MIDI) Fuse 50 Amp (extra fuse)
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 09:54 AM   #30
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You do need to add separate power/ground and the cabling isn't included with the amp. I bought the following from Knukonceptz for ~$28:

KFX8R Kolossus Fleks Kable 8 Gauge Red Power/Ground Wire
KFX8BK Kolossus Fleks Kable 8 Gauge Black Power/Ground Wire
RT8516R Gold Plated 8 Gauge Ring Terminal -Red (get 3/4 of these in case you mess up the crimp)
FH-44 In Line 4-8 Gauge Mini-ANL Fuse Holder with Fuse(includes fuse of your choice, select Type 1 - 50A)
MANL-50 Mini ANL (MIDI) Fuse 50 Amp (extra fuse)
A thanks, that helps a lot. I actually still have a ton of left-over car audio stuff in boxes from my car audio phase 15 yrs ago lol.

Question about the power wiring ... Did you have any issues running the wiring to the battery? Room wise I mean.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 09:58 AM   #31
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

How difficult is it to remove the trim cover over the battery? It looks like there are some plastic rivets holding it. will they break when removed?? Any tips
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 11:53 AM   #32
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pacey View Post
Did you have any issues running the wiring to the battery? Room wise I mean.
No... it's literally about 3 ft from the amp. The ground post is also a couple feet away. It's all under the spare tire cover, tons of space. I bought more wire than I needed since I didn't know exactly where I'd mount the amp. I put the amp in tray below the factory RAM unit... the boot cover fits over it when I'm not using it... it's a pretty good fit and doesn't want to move... and easy access to the USB cable when I'm making adjustments to the DSP.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 09:23 PM   #33
5pacey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Interesting... I assumed the Amp was going to be on the left side behind a trim panel and the battery on the right side across the trunk, just like in the F15... pretty standard placement. But I guess things change. In my case, it will be even weirder because I ordered the hybrid ... so I have no idea what to expect once I lift the trunk floor panel. Did you just replace the stock amp w/the the new one, or you had to find a new spot for it?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 09:50 PM   #34
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The existing amp/ram stays, the harness plugs into the high level (speaker) output interface on the RAM (the connector plugged into the OEM unit mounted on the black bracket) and the existing speaker interface that was plugged into the RAM now plugs into the match harness (connection in the middle of the wire harness). That is... the Match amp sits between the RAM and the OEM speakers. It intercepts the amplified signal from the OEM amp, converts it to run into the new amp where it's amplified again and pushed out the speakers.

Given you have a hybrid, you need to ensure this setup will work for you. Contact the Audiotech US distributor (Jason Digos - jason@msc-america.com), many people have been wondering the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 01:12 AM   #35
maybe_bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 45e

Why did you go with IS BMW 100L instead of IS BMW 100? the spec sheets look the same but the Focal website says ISBMW100 is the one for G05?

https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/c...mwr/is-bmw-100

https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/c...wr/is-bmw-100l
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 07:51 AM   #36
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybe_bimmer View Post
Why did you go with IS BMW 100L instead of IS BMW 100? the spec sheets look the same but the Focal website says ISBMW100 is the one for G05?

https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/c...mwr/is-bmw-100

https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/c...wr/is-bmw-100l
Follow this link to the G05 speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 03:24 PM   #37
maybe_bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 45e

Quote:
Thanks, ordered!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 01:30 PM   #38
dwlc83
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybe_bimmer View Post
Quote:
Thanks, ordered!

Can you order online somehow? It just says to order from an authorized dealer. Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 12:10 PM   #39
RC_Hund
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlc83 View Post
Can you order online somehow? It just says to order from an authorized dealer. Am I missing something?
Ebay is your friend on this. seller in Germany. Great service.
Appreciate 1
dwlc8374.50
      10-06-2021, 02:07 PM   #40
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm running Focals with Audiotech Match amp as I've described over the last few months. Although I'm very happy with the setup I'm finding that the tweeters are a bit harsh when played loud for some music tracks. They seem to mask the mid-range at high volume (over 50%) and simply might be distorting but I don't think that's it, rather just not balanced with the mids. Focal 100L's don't have much of a crossover but they do have the ability to attenuate the tweeters by -3db I believe. I'm thinking about trying that but its a PIA to pull the covers and make the change. I can attenuate the channel via the DSP but it doesn't isolate the tweeter nor do I want to cap it. My bet is that's why Focal has the option to attenuate.

IllustriousMari and FCX5, do you remember which connection you used for your tweeters (i.e. 0db or -3 db)? In any event do you think the tweeters are bit much when playing at volume? I suspect those with Focals and the HiFi amp won't see this effect but please weigh in if you have thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 08:11 PM   #41
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

VertigoAtHome - Did you attenuate the tweeters? Any update on this?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 08:15 PM   #42
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender View Post
VertigoAtHome - Did you attenuate the tweeters? Any update on this?
Not yet... pia... but I'm going to do it. The tweeters are too bright as is with my amp. I should probably tune it first with the RTA but that requires a good mic. If that doesn't fix it, I may consider moving to Focal ES 100 K speakers.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 03:46 PM   #43
therangerangler
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

I am running my focal tweeters at -3db. I think it sounds great, not too harsh at all. I also ran the wires from the crossover up close to the tweeter, so I can just pop off the tweeter enclosure if I ever want to make a change.
Appreciate 2
      10-19-2021, 04:47 PM   #44
VertigoAtHome
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by therangerangler View Post
I am running my focal tweeters at -3db. I think it sounds great, not too harsh at all. I also ran the wires from the crossover up close to the tweeter, so I can just pop off the tweeter enclosure if I ever want to make a change.
Thanks for the input. What amplifier are you running?
Appreciate 0