BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-01-2021, 11:13 PM   #1
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

x5 hybrid 2022 - remote start?

Recently placed an order for my car, now waiting for it.
Meanwhile, want to clarify if the car has a remote start option?

Does it work from the key fob and application?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 11:42 PM   #2
DG-X5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F95 X5MC

I believe it may depend on your region, but yes, there is a widely available remote start option that both works from the MyBMW app on your phone as well as by rapidly triple clicking the roundel (lock button) on the key.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 12:53 AM   #3
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG-X5MC View Post
I believe it may depend on your region, but yes, there is a widely available remote start option that both works from the MyBMW app on your phone as well as by rapidly triple clicking the roundel (lock button) on the key.
I'm in US. Based on the 22MY pricing guide, a premium package doesn't have remote engine start for PHEV version. Seems strange. Can somebody confirm it?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #4
45e21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

PHEV version has remote preconditioning option that works on high voltage battery. The engine does not start.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 03:06 PM   #5
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45e21 View Post
PHEV version has remote preconditioning option that works on high voltage battery. The engine does not start.
This is the correct answer.

BMW doesn’t offer remote start on the PHEV cars. Before BMW offered Remote Start it was only the PHEV cars that could do a version of it and now it has flipped slightly depending on your use case.

The PHEV only supports “climitizaton” via the app or a preconfigured schedule. It can’t be initiated via the key fob the way Remote Start can. It also can’t run if the HV battery doesn’t have a charge (around 10%). It won’t kick the engine on to do this ever.

The limitations on the PHEV version make sense though when you fully think about it. An ICE car using Remote Start has to account for exhaust venting, but a PHEV driver may not expect this and could have the car parked in a situation where this can be dangerous. Since you’re most likely to use this feature at home it isn’t as much of a loss… It only get a bit loss like when you’re going back to the car in 90F weather and you remember you forgot to use Battery Control to give you some charge to precondition with
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 06:48 PM   #6
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
This is the correct answer.

BMW doesn’t offer remote start on the PHEV cars. Before BMW offered Remote Start it was only the PHEV cars that could do a version of it and now it has flipped slightly depending on your use case.

The PHEV only supports “climitizaton” via the app or a preconfigured schedule. It can’t be initiated via the key fob the way Remote Start can. It also can’t run if the HV battery doesn’t have a charge (around 10%). It won’t kick the engine on to do this ever.

The limitations on the PHEV version make sense though when you fully think about it. An ICE car using Remote Start has to account for exhaust venting, but a PHEV driver may not expect this and could have the car parked in a situation where this can be dangerous. Since you’re most likely to use this feature at home it isn’t as much of a loss… It only get a bit loss like when you’re going back to the car in 90F weather and you remember you forgot to use Battery Control to give you some charge to precondition with
Thanks for the detailed explanation.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 04:48 PM   #7
B530e
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 760xi, 2024 BMW 530i

Garage List
2021 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2020 BMW 530e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlurker View Post
Recently placed an order for my car, now waiting for it.
Meanwhile, want to clarify if the car has a remote start option?

Does it work from the key fob and application?
It's now available to purchase in the connected drive store. You can check there and see if it's available for OTA download
      09-04-2021, 08:41 PM   #8
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG-X5MC View Post
good info, but this only applies to X5 ICE variants, not the 45e which the OP just ordered. note the 'x5 hybrid' in the thread title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B530e View Post
It's now available to purchase in the connected drive store. You can check there and see if it's available for OTA download
can u clarify/show what you're referring to? the OP inquired about 'remote start' which isn't a feature for the 45e as it uses the HV battery (not ICE) to precondition/climatize. the only feature in the ConnectedDrive store that mentions "remote" is remote software upgrade which is included and doesn't require purchase.

Quote:
The PHEV only supports "climitizaton" via the app or a preconfigured schedule. It can't be initiated via the key fob the way Remote Start can.
the above comment needs a bit of clarification.

in the U.S., 45e preconditioning/climatization can be done via the app/iDrive or a programmed schedule (also via app or iDrive).

the following needs confirmation from our EU brethren:
in certain markets in the EU, preconditioning can be done via 1 press of the DIAMOND button on their key fob. (The U.S. version of the regular key fob has the PANIC button instead.) one member of the FB group in EU claims his 45e key fob can do this, and it came programmed that way.

Last edited by nZtiZia; 09-04-2021 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 09:18 PM   #9
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
the above comment needs a bit of clarification.

in the U.S., 45e preconditioning/climatization can be done via the app/iDrive or a programmed schedule (also via app or iDrive).

the following needs confirmation from our EU brethren:
in certain markets in the EU, preconditioning can be done via 3 presses of the DIAMOND button on the regular key fob. (The U.S. version of the regular key fob has the PANIC button instead.) one member of the FB group in EU claims his 45e key fob can do this, and it came programmed that way.
Clarification here from our brethren across the pond would be great. If they can do this it is a shame we can't on this side of the pond!

Especially since cars with Remote Start can activate remote start with three presses of the BMW logo on the key fob here in the US. As I confirmed this on a MY2021 530i loaner I had earlier this year.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 03:02 PM   #10
dink43k
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

I do not see remote start under premium package or executive package, which the early version of the 2022 ordering guide showed. Is this yet another item that has been dropped? Or do we just purchase after delivery?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 06:24 PM   #11
45e21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by dink43k View Post
I do not see remote start under premium package or executive package, which the early version of the 2022 ordering guide showed. Is this yet another item that has been dropped? Or do we just purchase after delivery?
45e does not have remote engine start. It has preconditioning that works off the high voltage battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 10:41 PM   #12
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Clarification here from our brethren across the pond would be great. If they can do this it is a shame we can't on this side of the pond!
two EU 45e owners in the FB group confirmed they can remote precondition by pressing the DIAMOND button 3 times on their EU-spec key fobs. lucky!
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2022, 10:02 PM   #13
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
two EU 45e owners in the FB group confirmed they can remote precondition by pressing the DIAMOND button 3 times on their EU-spec key fobs. lucky!
This is likely codable, but like anything using the remote, you have to be within range for it to work if enabled.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 08:22 AM   #14
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

I can configure what option I want to have assigned to the diamond button on the keyfob. One of those options is pre-heat/cool the car. Can also be done via the app. I just press it once, and the car starts preconditioning. I'm a 45e MY2020 owner in EU.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4652.00
      01-08-2022, 11:48 AM   #15
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
This is likely codable, but like anything using the remote, you have to be within range for it to work if enabled.
codable for U.S.-spec 45e fob that has the PANIC button in lieu of the EU-spec fob's DIAMOND button? i know BimmerCode can't, and I'm not familiar with eSys or ISTA programming.

i know their DIAMOND button can be programmed via iDrive or MyBMW app.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 11:50 AM   #16
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
I just press it once, and the car starts preconditioning. I'm a 45e MY2020 owner in EU.
oh, just 1 press? I'll edit previous post
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 12:00 PM   #17
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
I just press it once, and the car starts preconditioning. I'm a 45e MY2020 owner in EU.
oh, just 1 press? I'll edit previous post
Yes, I usually keep it pressed for about 1 second to make sure the command reaches the car. You can see that it works when the fan icon appears in the small ac display between the center air vents.
Appreciate 0