BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-16-2021, 10:29 PM   #1
lely09
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 x40i - 22's

22" 742m's As Winters... To Square Or Not?

I know this is highly contested, but I want the car looking sweet all year long. Since I'm putting 22" Scorpion Winters on, I think it's already accomplishing the "goal" of having the right tire for the right season.

My question is should I go square or should I get the wider 315's in the back like the summer set? Is the squared route only better because you can rotate the tires? Is it because they are a bit less wide so technically a better winter tire? Does anyone know if the square setup looks goofy on the wider rim, even though it technically fits?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 08:12 AM   #2
HuskerNSC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

I have the 22" 742M's squared up. I have the 9" wide rims all the way around. I did this with all seasons (live in South Carolina).

Benefits I see.

- Keep the looks of the 22"
- Opens up more tire options (I run the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season Plus 4).
- Tire Rotation

Downsides.
- Back doesn't look quite as aggressive from behind, but not horrible.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 08:50 AM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
i understand mounting the same tires all around despite the wider rear wheels, but you won't be able to rotate the them because those 10.5" wheels can't be installed in the front despite having the narrower winter tire.

narrower tires are better for snow/ice traction, but if you don't see yourself in those conditions (just getting winter tires for colder temps), then wider rear tires will fit better on existing wheels. the wider the tire, the higher chance for "floating" on the snow/ice.

you said "technically fit" meaning the 10.5" wheels won't stretch the narrower tires too much if you decide to go square?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 08:57 AM   #4
lely09
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
i understand mounting the same tires all around despite the wider rear wheels, but you won't be able to rotate the them because those 10.5" wheels can't be installed in the front despite having the narrower winter tire.

narrower tires are better for snow/ice traction, but if you don't see yourself in those conditions (just getting winter tires for colder temps), then wider rear tires will fit better on existing wheels. you said "technically fit" meaning the 10.5" wheels won't stretch the narrower tires too much if you decide to go square?
I'm in Minnesota so we get cold/snow/ice. But, since putting on an actual winter tire and not an all-season I feel like its a solid option no matter what.

When i say fit, meaning the tire sire for the fronts fits the rears. Are you saying those can't be rotated? Not the wheel, but the physical tire?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 09:13 AM   #5
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lely09 View Post
When i say fit, meaning the tire sire for the fronts fits the rears. Are you saying those can't be rotated? Not the wheel, but the physical tire?
the offsets for the rear wheels may pose clearance issues if rotated to the front. The best way to negate that is to get a square setup of wheels and tires all around, which means buying an extra pair of front-spec wheels to be installed in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 11:35 AM   #6
lely09
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

If I buy a square setup and 1 season the tires are in the back snd the next season in the front does that work? Tires not wheels, I understand rear wheels can't go in the front.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 11:58 AM   #7
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If I buy a square setup and 1 season the tires are in the back snd the next season in the front does that work? Tires not wheels, I understand rear wheels can't go in the front.
so you'll swap the tires that were on the rear wheels onto the front wheels? yeah, that's fine cuz you're rotating the tires instead of the whole tire/wheel setup. seems an inconvenience to some, which is why they would rather get a square setup all around (wheels and tires).
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 10:50 PM   #8
njnets21
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:

narrower tires are better for snow/ice traction, but if you don't see yourself in those conditions (just getting winter tires for colder temps), then wider rear tires will fit better on existing wheels. the wider the tire, the higher chance for "floating" on the snow/ice.

you said "technically fit" meaning the 10.5" wheels won't stretch the narrower tires too much if you decide to go square?
He's not putting 10.5" wheels in the front. He's saying he bought four of the 9.5" (front) rims so it's set up just like squared 20s would be, but they're 22. I'm debating doing this myself.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 11:28 PM   #9
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnets21 View Post
He's not putting 10.5" wheels in the front. He's saying he bought four of the 9.5" (front) rims so it's set up just like squared 20s would be, but they're 22. I'm debating doing this myself.
in his first post, he sad, "…should I get the wider 315s in the back like the summer set?" to me that sounds like he's got different width wheels between front and back (staggered). none of his other posts stated he has/purchased the same sized (front) wheels all around. (It was Husker who said he has 22x9" wheels all around.) when the OP asked if he were to buy a "square setup," he's referring to tires, not wheels. also, he's never corrected me when I mentioned 10.5" wide rear wheels more than once.

further, in his first post he specifically said "wider rim," so why would he distinguish the front tires "technically fit" the rear wheels if all the wheels were the same width as you say? the narrower front tires would just fit IF all the wheels were the same. he wouldn't point out the difference in the wheels if there were none.

the OP wants to know if he can mount the same sized (front) winter tires on his staggered wheels. that's why all those questions on the bottom of his first post. "will they look goofy?" he was also wondering if he could rotate the tires to which I replied he couldn't because of how wide the rear wheels are despite mounting winter tires that are meant for the front wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 12:18 AM   #10
njnets21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnets21 View Post
in his first post, he sad, "…should I get the wider 315s in the back like the summer set?" to me that sounds like he's got different width wheels between front and back (staggered). none of his other posts stated he has/purchased the same sized (front) wheels all around. (It was Husker who said he has 22x9" wheels all around.) when the OP asked if he were to buy a "square setup," he's referring to tires, not wheels. also, he's never corrected me when I mentioned 10.5" wide rear wheels more than once.

further, in his first post he specifically said "wider rim," so why would he distinguish the front tires "technically fit" the rear wheels if all the wheels were the same width as you say? the narrower front tires would just fit IF all the wheels were the same. he wouldn't point out the difference in the wheels if there were none.

the OP wants to know if he can mount the same sized (front) winter tires on his staggered wheels. that's why all those questions on the bottom of his first post. "will they look goofy?" he was also wondering if he could rotate the tires to which I replied he couldn't because of how wide the rear wheels are despite mounting winter tires that are meant for the front wheels.
My bad I was talking about Husker. I really want to see some photos of what it looks like when someone puts 275s on 9.5 rims all around. Considering doing that to use Michelin AS4 instead of waiting for staggered Pirelli AS to come back.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 12:37 AM   #11
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerNSC View Post
I have the 22" 742M's squared up. I have the 9" wide rims all the way around. I did this with all seasons (live in South Carolina).

Benefits I see.

- Keep the looks of the 22"
- Opens up more tire options (I run the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season Plus 4).
- Tire Rotation

Downsides.
- Back doesn't look quite as aggressive from behind, but not horrible.
Does your state inspection care about tires?
This likely won't fly in states that care about inspections if your car came with 22" because door jam would have 22" staggered sizes listed and your square set-up would be below spec in the rear. All depends on how your state inspection is done. In PA this wouldn't fly (although you could find a place to pass you) as liability issue for the places that passes you.
      11-18-2021, 12:25 PM   #12
Afjeld
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 CT & G26 i4 M50

Quote:
I know this is highly contested, but I want the car looking sweet all year long. Since I'm putting 22" Scorpion Winters on, I think it's already accomplishing the "goal" of having the right tire for the right season.

My question is should I go square or should I get the wider 315's in the back like the summer set? Is the squared route only better because you can rotate the tires? Is it because they are a bit less wide so technically a better winter tire? Does anyone know if the square setup looks goofy on the wider rim, even though it technically fits?
I've this set up with 9,5/10,5J x 22 with PSW 275/35 R 22 front/rear.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 01:23 PM   #13
yeetyeet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
2024 M3 Comp X-Drive  [10.00]
2022 BMW X5  [9.75]
Would I need to get a wider wheel vs 9.5 stock to put the 305/315 size tires on the rear? I have a 2021 F150 with 20x12 with 33x12.5 tires and -44 offset. Getting an X5 I am not too familiar with perfect offset to fenders haha.
      11-18-2021, 01:30 PM   #14
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeetyeet View Post
Would I need to get a wider wheel vs 9.5 stock to put the 305/315 size tires on the rear? I have a 2021 F150 with 20x12 with 33x12.5 tires and -44 offset. Getting an X5 I am not too familiar with perfect offset to fenders haha.
i believe 305 tires fit 10 - 12" wheel widths. 315 tires would need an even slightly wider wheel (?10.5 - 12.5"?). can always double check the specs on the website as they may vary between brands/models
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 01:37 PM   #15
yeetyeet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5  [9.75]
Quote:
i believe 305 tires fit 10-12" wheel widths. 315 tires would need an even slightly wider wheel. can always double check on the specs on the website as they may vary between brands/models
Awesome, thanks. First time driving a BMW when searching for a new vehicle for my wife. Sold at first turn, so now I want to really capitalize on the grip that it has.
      11-18-2021, 01:47 PM   #16
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeetyeet View Post
Sold at first turn[…]
my first bimmer as well. BMW's slogan "sheer driving pleasure" doesn't lie.

they take it seriously too! my vehicle has been at the dealer 1.5 months (and counting) due to a recall so I've had a 2-series loaner. i emailed that it hasn't nearly been the same 'driving pleasure' as my X5. the next day they called and said they've arranged for an X-series loaner swap. "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." lol
Appreciate 1
yeetyeet391.50
      11-18-2021, 02:13 PM   #17
yeetyeet
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5  [9.75]
Thats actually awesome!
      11-18-2021, 03:00 PM   #18
HuskerNSC
Private First Class
Rep

Here are a couple pictures of my squared up 22's. Running Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 275/35-22 all the way around.

Name:  IMG_0094.jpeg
Views: 862
Size:  65.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0095.jpeg
Views: 869
Size:  70.0 KB
Appreciate 3
nZtiZia4652.00
gqgambler716.00
GG11220.00
      11-18-2021, 05:54 PM   #19
njnets21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Here are a couple pictures of my squared up 22's. Running Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 275/35-22 all the way around.

Attachment 2746011

Attachment 2746012
You said no spacers either right? I would assume visually the side profile looks the same as staggered and only difference is from the back or do you think you can tell a difference from staggered because 315s would stick out of the fender more?

Thanks for the photos.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 06:30 PM   #20
HuskerNSC
Private First Class
Rep

Side profile looks the same (except I like the sidewall of the new tire better). The staggered rears did stick out a bit further. If it bothers me, I will add a small spacer later.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 06:55 PM   #21
njnets21
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Side profile looks the same (except I like the sidewall of the new tire better). The staggered rears did stick out a bit further. If it bothers me, I will add a small spacer later.
Keep seeing common mentions that people prefer the Michelin sidewall. Any idea why? In photos the conti sidewall looks pretty nice but haven't seen any of these tires in person. Thanks again for the insights.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 09:22 AM   #22
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:

Attachment 2746011

Attachment 2746012
I like. Too bad I just bought staggered 22 all-season tires.